Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln Cent Coin Bank

1. Default One question...

Would the tape on the edge process that Eva is using ever cause an issue when the machine tests locations before it carves. This is a great idea, I just want to make sure that it won't cause issues.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedWoodshop View Post
    Would the tape on the edge process that Eva is using ever cause an issue when the machine tests locations before it carves. This is a great idea, I just want to make sure that it won't cause issues.

Jason,

I have seen no problem with the tape. I think it is soft enough that when the bit touches it actually goes to the wood surface.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

i've been using my machine to cut out balsa control line models. After seeing the awesome pictures, I bought this project as my first real 3-D project. The photos don't do it justice. My two daughters and my wife gave me the "here's Bill with another gadget" look LOL. But, then I cut out my first penny bank with my youngest daughters birth year (1989) on it and now they are all amazed. Of course I didn't align the rings perfectly and used Gorilla glue and had a little leakage. I've been hand sanding the sides for days and my daughter keeps calling me, asking when she can pick up her bank. After I get the two daughters taken care of, I plan to display one in one of my stores in the mall. Mike you created a really nice project.

Thanks
    Bill
    Hobby Central

Hello Bill,

Thank you! Very nice to hear about your bank project and how much you and your daughter enjoyed it! Sorry 'bout the sanding part!

A few projects ago, I decided to purchase a spindle sander to make the task of sanding glued-up parts go faster (made that decision after hand-sanding three of the Holiday Sleighs!). Boy - does it make life easier! I use it extremely frequently for all kinds of other projects in addition to my own CarveWright projects.

I looked into all kinds of spindle sanders, read reviews, got recommendations, etc. After it was all said and done, I ended up getting a factory-refurbished RIGID Model EB4424 Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle sander combo from Home Depot online. Reviews were nearly all 5-star and the regular price for new is only $199.00 (the refurbished was $149.00 with factory warranty). I couldn't be more pleased! Seems really rugged and accurate - plus, it saves a boatload of time!

Here's a review of the unit: http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/rgideb4424rvu.html
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 05-22-2009 at 08:03 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look at getting one. I almost bought one from
    Ryobi years ago for smoothing the edges of leather. I've got to get a dust collector first. I decided I didn't need one as I was just cutting balsa - big mistake LOL. I've just spent the last two hours vacuuming dust off of everything. Hmm dust collector, spindle sander, downdraft table - this reconditioned machine is getting expensive LOL. A side note for other readers - I took a tape measure to both HD and Lowes when I bought my boards (Select Pine). As stated in other posts HD's planks were narrower than typical boards. Lowes boards were spot on.

Bill
    Hobby Central

Rigid has another + if you send in your PW you get a lifetime warrenty. 3 year if you dont
    Hess

Default Spindle Sanders

I've been using a Oscillating Spindle Sander for the last 3 or 4 years,
    I plan to let my Grandson use it on his pine wood Derby cars later this year.
    They work great, save time, and are a real asset to a wood Shop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Axle Slots 1a.jpg   PWD 1a.jpg   PWD 2a.jpg   PWD 3a.jpg  

Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Hopefully you are going to let him use it and not do it for him - just kiddin LOL. I'm refering to the Subaru TV ad. In my Hobby stores I see lot's of Moms, Dads and Grand Dads buying our Pinewood Derby Products. The Moms seem to share the experience with the kids, when it's dad and son - the Dads in charge and the kids follow along. Granddads usually come in on their own and have a glow in their eye along with a devious grin. I did buy my Compucarve with the intent to carve some unique blanks for sale in the store.

Bill
    Hobby Central

Thumbs up

Hi Bill,

My Grandson has been around woodworking tools for awhile now,
    and can really do a nice job on his cars himself.
    Around here the PW Derby have a special division
    for Moms, Dads, And Granddads to race their own cars.
    It's all great fun and helps keeps the older folks
    from trying to take over the kids cars and races.
    More fun for everyone that way.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

ezambob Guest

Hi Michael,

I'm a nubee and trying to wrap my hands around all things carvewright. I'm a complete novice on the different software / modeling options, but pretty computer savy, and was hoping that you could give me a quick push in the right direction. I'm interested in creating 3D models like your lincoln bank - how did you do it (what software did you use? Did you start with an image or did you scan a 3d object?)

Can you walk me through the steps of creating something like your Lincoln Bank? Where do you start... with what software, etc...

Thanks a bunch!

Bob

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast