Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln Cent Coin Bank

Ken,

I also use the rails for a lot of my carvings. I have found that it takes care of the issue that Capt. Barry brought up.

Eva,

yes the added tape to the sides to fool the CW works great. I have needed it several times. Also setting the board width in designer to the even number works great.

Bud,

For sure take those picutres!!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Very nice! I love the details you get with your designs.

LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 05-01-2009 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWheeler View Post
    Barry,

I can't believe that only ChrisAlb and I are the only ones that regularly use "Rails" only to carve. This was a work-around for cutouts on older software, but it still works great and solves several problems including the one asked here.

There is no need for a carrier board unless you want one. Just make the rails 7" longer than the design in Designer and tell the machine to center the carve. Also, no need for wood fillers on the ends, you just need something for the sensor to see. Each of the examples below have tape across the ends.

The horse was 1" thick with 1" X 1" rails and the other had 3/4" rails. I had stock to screw the rails on the horse one, but just attached the rails with tape on the other one, both methods work well.
    Ken,

I remember seeing the "rail approach" last year when I first got my CW; then, I forgot about it. For some projects, I've been using a sled and have never used a rail.

I have one question. At the start, do you need to place the project in a certain location on the belts for the CW to properly recognize it?

Also, as I understand it, you only use masking tape at the ends.

Thanks,
    Rocky

Default Rails

Rocky,

With rails fastened to the sides of the "board" (and something for the sensor to read on the ends), just treat it the same as you would a board with those same outside dimensions. As far as the machine is concerned it is only one solid piece of wood. Just make sure that you tell it to Center on the board and that your design in Designer is not bigger than the actual board that you fasten between the rails.

Michael,

I too often jump to the end of a thread instead of the start if the topic does not grab my interest - sorry! Only after posting twice to this thread did I go to the "top" and see your beautiful creation. I really like it, the things that you design/create are top-notch.
    Last edited by DocWheeler; 05-01-2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Edit
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    A hundred dollar bill was my first thought, as well. Perhaps better done as a lithophane... or do a one dollar bill as a litho to hang in an office or business as "my first dollar".
    Michael,
    You might want to look into some of the old large bills artwork. If you think our current small notes have nice art work, you should see some of the old large notes that were made. I used to collect coins and paper and some of my favorite pieces were the large notes.
    Last edited by Darthmaul1964; 05-01-2009 at 09:44 AM.
    Bob Campbell
    Farmington Central High School
    Industrial Techology Teacher
    Using v1.185
    Build 10343

Thumbs up

Michael
    Do you ever run out of good ideas? I am always impressed with your work!
    As usual GREAT PROJECT!!
    Gimme Steam.

Michael, I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, I know. But, you knocked it out of the park again, my friend. That's an amazing looking project and a very creative twist on the coin bank. I never get tired of seeing the creativity that comes from this forum.

Well worth it keep it up and thank you

Hess

Michael
    That is one outstanding project I admire your detail and creativity thanks again for all the great projects and help you present.
    Ray

Thank you, everyone! Hope you enjoy making one for yourself!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast