Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lincoln Cent Coin Bank

Default Lincoln Cent Coin Bank

Hello,

Here is a project I finished a couple days ago. The coin dimensions are 10" diameter by 3" thick - the base itself is 1½" tall.

I gave mine away to a friend who has the uncanny knack for spotting pennys on the ground everywhere he goes! Thought he could use an appropriate receptacle for all those pennys. (He finds other coins too, but pennys are ones that most folks just walk by, so there's more of 'em left on the ground.) I told him that he currently owns the only wooden bank like this in the world right now - until other folks start making them too!

Some creative ways it could be used are in a children's church or Bible school for the kids offerings, or at a business or club for fundraising, donations, "fines" (think Rotary Club or Exchange Club), a "treasury" for collecting dues at Boy and Girl Scouts, woodworking clubs, etc. Commemorate a baby's birth, give as a birthday gift, wedding, anniversary (the date and wording is editable). You get the idea.

(The Lincoln Cent Bank is not a Project of the Month - CarveWright has made it available as an individual project at the CarveWright Project Store).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lincoln_Bank_unfinished350x350_6.jpg   Lincoln_Bank_closeup350x350_2.jpg   Lincoln_Bank_350x350_4.jpg   Lincoln_Bank_BACK_350x350_5.jpg  

Last edited by mtylerfl; 04-29-2009 at 10:30 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

2. Default

Very cool...
    Great job!
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.
    Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

FATAL ERROR! SYSTEM HALTED! - Press any key to do nothing...

Some people have a way with words, others not have way.
    CarveSpot Forum

Quote Originally Posted by geekviking View Post
    Very cool...
    Great job!

Thank you - I enjoyed making it!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Thumbs up Got me!

Michael,

Outstanding!

I had to look at the images multiple times to make sure that was not a real penny.. Great job on the Lincoln pattern!

Add to your list of who might buy, ANY LINCOLN CENT COIN COLLECTOR! With this being the anniversary of the Lincoln cent the penny guys are going crazy! Rolls of the first edition of the new cent, if you can find them, are/were going for $7.00 or more.

HMMM, Michael, I do recall you asking/posting about the US Mint copy/print rights on coins a while back. I knew you were up to something..

I took a peak to and did see that most of the rights for coins are free for use by others, except for making them a piece for tender. There are a few that you can not. If I recall right, the Latest Jefferson nickles were one of them along with one of the Lady Dollars (S. B. A. & Sac.).
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Michael,

Great job on sculpting the head. I know thats not an easy one to do..how long did it take you?

John
    John

High Quality 3d Clip Art
    www.CarveMore.com

You know, I had no idea this was the anniversary of the Lincoln Cent! I just lucked out on the timing I guess!

I read and re-read the copyrights at the mint website and finally determined I was in the clear, so was able to proceed. You're right that there are quite a few coins that cannot be reproduced without express permission (many of the commemorative and state coins are among those).

It took me, I believe, about 6 hours to model the low-relief of Lincoln (I'm slow). Tried to "think like" a coin designer, knowing I had a very small z-space to work within for it to retain the "coin-look". I started one afternoon and worked on it for a few hours, then "slept on it". Next morning, I resumed intermittently between phone calls and so on, and finished it up by early afternoon that day. I knew that it had to be a faithful reproduction or it just wouldn't fly.

I plan to do more portrait-type models (Mona Lisa, I hope at some point??). And I want to do a lot more with currency modeling - many of the designs are just gorgeous.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Michael,

Great timing even if you did not plan on it. You stated that you do have plans on more coin modeling, does this include doing the reverse of the coins also? Knowing a lot of coin collectors and using your free coin patterns they really enjoy seeing both sides of the carved coins.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Very nice. I may have to do this one too.

I imagine paper money is protected? I think a $100 bill would be real cool.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Michael,

Great timing even if you did not plan on it. You stated that you do have plans on more coin modeling, does this include doing the reverse of the coins also? Knowing a lot of coin collectors and using your free coin patterns they really enjoy seeing both sides of the carved coins.
    Probably will do some two-sided coins, but having a little trouble figuring out a "practical use" for such an item. Maybe there isn't one - just being a decorative piece might be enough. I've thought about making coin coat racks for hanging on a wall by the door, making lamps with a coin-theme design, round boxes with a coin design carved on top (come to think of it - the Lincoln Bank could be modified into a hinged-lid box by a person skilled with Designer), making a checker set and board with coin carvings (in Corian, perhaps and one of rjustice's specialty "tiny" bits) and other ideas, some of which would not use a double-sided coin (like wall art).
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 04-30-2009 at 11:39 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Very nice. I may have to do this one too.

I imagine paper money is protected? I think a $100 bill would be real cool.
    A hundred dollar bill was my first thought, as well. Perhaps better done as a lithophane... or do a one dollar bill as a litho to hang in an office or business as "my first dollar".
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast