Thread: Need Help and/or suggestions

Default Need Help and/or suggestions

I have a board that my father made over 50yrs ago and I'm trying to find a way to replicate it. I'll try to attach the 2 images to see if I can get some suggestions. First the board is 24.5x24.5. One side has the Chinese checkers and the other side the the checker board. The chinese checker side has drawings that he had personally hand drawn and at one time was colored in (dragon was green and chinese man & woman was also colored in different colors). Over years the colors faded and after my father passed ('96), my older brother didn't care for the board (kept outside in tool shed). He gave it to me last weekend and has now become warped and falling apart. He told me that my father at one time had decided to sand down the chinese checker side and was going to "re-draw" and paint the figures again. Well, he was 80 at that time and never finished the job (except sanding and outlining the figures again). I wanted to reproduce the design with my CW, but I don't really know where to start. I saw Bud's "making Star of David" and that part is excellent to make on the one side (for the Chinese Checkers portion, but again, the whole board is 24.5x24.5 and I know that won't fit in the CW. If you'll notice he used different color wood for each point on the star so perhaps I can just stain each point different? I just don't know how to get it all to fit on a 24.5x24.5 board using the CW. If using the "2 piece large sign method"... how would I set up the star AND checker board to be cut precisley in half? I have a dragon that I can carve in to the top and bottom of board, but can't find the same type of Chinese man and woman. I'll keep looking on the internet and may have to resort to different Chinese man and woman. I just don't want to "muck" this up so I'm asking all the woodcarvers out there to lend a hand/mind on this please. I hope the pictures uploaded OK.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Lots of folks have looked, but no no one's responded, 'cause you've asked a pretty tough question.

The real beauty of a project like this is the inlay work your Dad did, especially on the checkers side. You're right, there's no way to replicate this on the CW without cutting the piece in two, which really defeats the original work.

Further, there has been some discussion on how to make inlays, and it's tough to get the corners right using the CW on inlays (although I believe some have done pretty well - search "inlay").

Personally, I'd try to restore the original - after all, it's the work your Dad did years ago that's of value to you.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Default How to make a chessboard

Here is a good web site that shows how to make a chessboard.

Attachment 22621
    Last edited by PCW; 08-09-2009 at 10:26 PM.

JerryB
    Thats looks just like the checker board I made in 7th grade. really.
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Default Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Woodman View Post
    JerryB
    Thats looks just like the checker board I made in 7th grade. really.
    later Daniel
    You even made it with the dragon and chinese man and woman? If so, where can I find those two figures. Also, the design that dad made for the chinese checker side, he used the same star pattern to make a lamp which I remember distinctly. The base of this lamp was the same size star and the lamp actually looked like a big "conga" drum. It had that shape because of "dowel" type rods he used in making that particular shape. He then had wrapped the design with some type of material that had palm trees on it. The whole thing stood about 4.5 tall. I guess my dad was a pretty good carpenter in his time. He even had his middle finger split down to the first knuckle cause he said he got distracted when he was still an apprentice and learning from his mentor. They fixed his finger, but it always had a bend in it. ha ha It looked funny when he flipped the bird! ha ha
    If I knew how to fix the board I would and I won't ever get rid of it, but I sure would like to replicate it to the likeness as much as possible. Some of the squares in the chess side and the triangles in the checker side have started to lift out of the main board. Since I don't know hardly anything about woodworking I really don't know what to do to fix it. Maybe just treat it with oil to slow the drying out and warping process and of course keep it in my house. I even thought about using some type of steam to try and get some of the squares to flatten out and set back in place. ha ha Goes to show that I don't really know anything. Anyway, I thank you for the feedback. Maybe as I learn more about wood working I'll take on this challenge of replicating this project as well as maybe find a way to restore my dad's orginal board. Thanks again.....
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

CarveWright_Authority Guest

I'm only thinking out loud here so don't hate me if it's not going to work. I have been working on a chessboard idea for a while now. Its already been established that the project is too large for the CW. ok. build it in two halves and glue together. start out with dark stock like walnut, and machine out the area for the lighter squares about .25 deep. cut the maple out on table saw to fit the inlays. okay, i'm ready for the rock throwing...lol

OR... Use the machine to cut VECTOR Cuts in a # pattern and cut a contrasting color thin strips of wood and inlay it....

We didn't throw any stones to the guy here that on his OWN invented the Rotary Attachment using a Carrier Board to ROTATE a 12 inch long Blank in the Y Axis... And another that uses 4 Air Cylinders to lift the head and lower the head removing the Jacking Screws to let a LONGER Rotary Blank be used like for Walking Sticks.... I believe He removed the Keypad and moved it to the side to allow a feed through....

So thinking outside the box is WELCOME.... Now for your User Name.... That got my Attention.... It is GOOD you are posting your first post with a Grand Idea... Looking like you might just earn that name shortly....

Good Luck,

and WELCOME,

AL

I see a few are running to your User Profile for more info about you... got nothing.... tell us about yourself... First Post and have been a member for a while...
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 05-29-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Jerry,
    Obviously a 2 piece carve but I'm sure your experience and all the knowledge here can overcome that. I think your biggest concern is replicating the art.
    How about getting it scanned on a flatbed scanner and then convert it to vectors and import via the DXF importer? A local printshop or sign company should
    have a scanner able to handle the board.
    Good luck and let us know!
    Cheers,
    Bill Brooks
    Henrico , VA
    Printer, Zymurgist, Carvehead
    Machine One - Version B, Carvetight upgrade and a Ringneck Blues Dust collector www.ringneckblues.com
    Machine Two - 5th Anniversary Version C, Rubber Belts and a Ringneck Blues Blues Dust collector

CarveWright_Authority Guest

Thanks Al, I usually tend to do more listening than talking. Also, when I was registering my username, it kept denying my short simple names, it was late at night and I was really getting tired of being rejected time and time again, so i finally said out loud, do i need to be a carve wright authority to get a username around here. and apparently you do. so there you have it. John

No Problem.... Soon you will be the "Go Too guy" like ASK BUD. We welcome your input.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com