Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Premium 3D artwork too expensive for you?

1. Default

ok here is there test file
    I am kind of mixed on it. it looks good but i do not think it would be worth the price
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by johnbryantjr View Post
    ok here is there test file
    I am kind of mixed on it. it looks good but i do not think it would be worth the price
    John, thanks for posting the test. I did some adjusting on height and draft etc. It is more detailed then I thought it would be, but I agree it doesn't look like it will carve well with the CW.

I think the patterns in the pattern depot are well detailed!

Ike

Actually, I think it would do pretty well at that size, but until someone really carves it, no one will know for sure.

The only things you might want to do is set the Bit Optimization to BEST (always a good idea anyway when using high-quality patterns) and set the depth to .187" (3/16") and height to 999. Those settings for this particular pattern should yield a good result.

Of course, avoid Red Oak or any other very open-grained wood because of chip-out risk. White oak MIGHT be ok - Select Pine or most tight-grained hardwoods should do well for high detail carves such as this.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Here it is in poplar. It is about 10" wide 8.5" tall. Depth 0.187" Height 999, Quality Best and a quick once over with a sanding mop. Carve time was 1:10. Optimal was estimated at 2:40.

Overall I would say it came out pretty decent considering the poor wood choice. I'm not sure how well it would carve in a smaller size.

I think if someone is considering purchasing patterns from gantry, they should go the pattern partner route. At $39 it is definitely worth it to me. At $125, not so much.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gantry test carve1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by HighTechOkie View Post
    Here it is in poplar. It is about 10" wide 8.5" tall. Depth 0.187" Height 999, Quality Best and a quick once over with a sanding mop. Carve time was 1:10. Optimal was estimated at 2:40.

Overall I would say it came out pretty decent considering the poor wood choice. I'm not sure how well it would carve in a smaller size.

I think if someone is considering purchasing patterns from gantry, they should go the pattern partner route. At $39 it is definitely worth it to me. At $125, not so much.

Rob
    Thanks Rob for carving it! I did mess with it and smaller size it looked better in the designer. Still great patterns, but my opinion wrong machine. When I set up my K2 I will give the pattern a try!

Ike

It sounds like I'm in the minority here but I wish there were more sources for these high quality 3d graphics. When I buy a computer I know that you have to spend just as much to buy the software that goes on the computer. So when I bought my CC I presumed I would be spending a fair amount for quality graphics and have budgeted for that. It doesn't make much sense to me to buy a $2000 machine then not use it to it's full potential because of a lack of a high quality $150 pattern.

Does anyone have more sources for these high quality graphics other that the Carvewright store? Gantry is a good start but I'm looking for more of the super high quality stuff that can be found there.

I once found a site that had tons of very high quality 3d grayscale height mapped images that were available in STL format, now I can't find it again. Anyone know that site I'm thinking of?

Quote Originally Posted by 5twenty View Post
    It sounds like I'm in the minority here but I wish there were more sources for these high quality 3d graphics. When I buy a computer I know that you have to spend just as much to buy the software that goes on the computer. So when I bought my CC I presumed I would be spending a fair amount for quality graphics and have budgeted for that. It doesn't make much sense to me to buy a $2000 machine then not use it to it's full potential because of a lack of a high quality $150 pattern.

Does anyone have more sources for these high quality graphics other that the Carvewright store? Gantry is a good start but I'm looking for more of the super high quality stuff that can be found there.

I once found a site that had tons of very high quality 3d grayscale height mapped images that were available in STL format, now I can't find it again. Anyone know that site I'm thinking of?
    Vector Art 3D has stl patterns and high quality.

Ike

Quote Originally Posted by 5twenty View Post

5twenty, have you checked out my site yet? www.go3d.us

Quote Originally Posted by www.go3d.us View Post
    5twenty, have you checked out my site yet? www.go3d.us
    Oh shoot sorry HT I forgot you offer stl patterns too! Yes another great source!

Ike

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456