Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: qc are in stock

1. Default

Thanks Ken. I figured at 11 cents cheaper than the bit adapters alone, it was worth a try!

just as a odd side note..

I know that most Craftman QC do not fit, but Sears at one time did have a QC that did fit the CW, it came is the same package so you could get lucky I did once.

Fred ,

If you need a new QC get it at LHR as the new ones are better that before. Also think about a spindel swap as its a lot faster to replace than heating off the bad QC.

LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 04-05-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Can I purchase the QC from Carvewright online? What is the cost? I am going to purchase the adapters from Ron.

Ed

Thanks everyone for the help....

How much would the spindle cost and where should I get it? Also is a new spindle needed everytime you replace a QC?
    Last edited by AWoodsmith; 04-05-2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: more info
    Ed Smith
    A WoodSmith
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ

LG - you stated ...
    "If you need a new QC get it at LHR as the new ones are better than before."

How are the new ones better?? I just received a new QC and it looked identical to the one that came on my CW machine that I bought from Jason Allen.

I modified mine per the "Pratyeka modification" and it runs much better...less vibration.
    I am going to try and do the math on how imbalanced the QCs are because of the slot machined into the side of the outer collar...but, I wish I was smarted because it will take me a long time. I have some contacts back in the 3M Lab where I used to work and I may get them involved. Any physicists out there with some free time?? ...I would like to get a firm answer one way or the other.
    Rick P -- ( Designer v.1.187 + Rock + Dust Devil)
    Carver in Minnesota
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford, 38th President

Rick

Just out of curiosity when you roll the new QC on a flat surface does it always stop on the same spot? That is a crude way of testing but it would give you a rough indication.

I am going to try and do the math on how imbalanced the QCs are
    This will involve some calculus as the mass of material from the slot id distributed over both a portion of the diameter and from inside out (r -x, to r where r = radius, x is the wall thickness). Then you have to keep in mind how that mass compares to the total rotating mass. I suspect that it has very little effect in the end. If someone shows me good accelerometer data to prove otherwise that would be great. (I am an engineer from the 'Show-Me' state. )

Just out of curiosity when you roll the new QC on a flat surface does it always stop on the same spot?
    Or it just means that there is a slight flat spot.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

This can be debated till no end but it really doesn't matter as long as the problem gets corrected.

It is very easy to develop tunnel vision and try to defend your product by blaming the other guy. Sometime you need to listen to your customer base because that is how and when you know you have a problem. I know the company is aware of this and is working to correct the issue and that is what is important in the end.

This is how companies make improvement to their products. I think most people that are discussing this topic here what just that. It does not matter who is wrong or who is right because we all have the same goal.

This is called team work.

PCW, I'm not defending anything. I'm a machine owner just like you. I was specifically answering a question about how to calculate 'imbalance'. There has been a lot of speculation and conjecture on the subject and I'm the sort of guy who won't believe anything (technical) unless I see the data.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

9. Default

just to say I did post the link of the calculator I used to figure out the force generated by the missing mass in the thread about replacing the QC chuck a while back. It amounted to 12 pounds at 20,000 rpm.

Of course, that's just a ball park figure, because I don't have the mean to do exact measurement of the missing mass.

My point is, what instrument does LHR use to measure the balance of the chuck? What standard of measurement do they use? Can they provide statistical analysis results of the balance measurements? These are justified questions any customer can ask.
    Best regards,
    May you be well, may you find happiness! : - )
    "Exaggerated self-importance is deemed an individual fault, but a racial virtue." From Kelly Millar

LG - you stated ...
    "If you need a new QC get it at LHR as the new ones are better than before."

I think the new ones look a tad better more polished and have a better clicking sound the bit adapters 2 look better.

I will keep testing them..

LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 04-07-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast