Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: qc are in stock

Default qc broke again

i called lhr and ask about any new QC i was told by the tech they are all the same and there is not any type of upgrade of truing or balancing and he did not know who started that rumor. if my qc continues to break ( i had less than 18 hours on it) i might want to consider replacing the z truck one of the few parts on the machine i have never replaced
    jeff

DO NOT FEED ! THE DRAGON

Several weeks ago,I had placed an order for a new ztruck and QC. I received the ztruck, and the QC was allegedly on back-order. the next day, I received the new QC (surprise!) and after examination, found it was not identical to the one on the ztruck, or any I had received before. It had indeed been modified, similar to that proposed by Pratyeka weeks before. Either it had been modified at LHR or the factory, as I don't think UPS nor the creatures in the shrub where the package was placed have the inkling to modify the QC before I found it there.
    Clearly not a rumor!
    I suspect it was done as a random test or something the like. Well---- its still working well, and is quieter than the others as attested to by one of my business partners.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by earlyrider View Post
    Several weeks ago,I had placed an order for a new ztruck and QC. I received the ztruck, and the QC was allegedly on back-order. the next day, I received the new QC (surprise!) and after examination, found it was not identical to the one on the ztruck, or any I had received before. It had indeed been modified, similar to that proposed by Pratyeka weeks before. Either it had been modified at LHR or the factory, as I don't think UPS nor the creatures in the shrub where the package was placed have the inkling to modify the QC before I found it there.
    Clearly not a rumor!
    I suspect it was done as a random test or something the like. Well---- its still working well, and is quieter than the others as attested to by one of my business partners.
    Ron
    So how hard is it to replace the QC and is there anything that should be replaced at the same time? What is the cost?

Ed
    Last edited by AWoodsmith; 04-24-2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Ed Smith
    A WoodSmith
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ

Quote Originally Posted by AWoodsmith View Post
    So how hard is it to replace the QC and is there anything that should be replaced at the same time? What is the cost?

Ed
    Hello Ed,

It's not hard as long as you have the proper tools and follow the directions. Here is a link to the QC Replacement Instructions - it covers all the steps and tells you what tools you need. I think the QC is about $30 - I don't recall what the flat wrench and square removal tool cost.

The only other thing to replace is your bit adaptors themselves if they have very noticable BB marks on them. As AL has mentioned dozens of times - if you replace a QC but not your damaged bit adaptors (or vice versa) you will ruin both.

One tip I got from a fellow last week...he was having trouble unscrewing the old QC even after application of heat with a heat gun. (He has the use of just one arm, due to a stroke a few years ago.) What he did was place a short length of metal pipe he had in the garage over the flat wrench's end to get more leverage. He said it worked like a charm!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Default cheater bar

i just use the closed end of a large wrench and i only put the qc on with blue thread lock not the RED the qc is 29.95 plus $12 shipping
    Last edited by dragoncarver; 04-25-2009 at 04:02 PM.
    jeff

DO NOT FEED ! THE DRAGON

Default cost

A005-00033 Quick Changer $29.95
    P005-00024 Quick Change Removal Flat Wrench $8.00
    A006-00026 Spindle Square Recess Wrench Assembly $8.50

Shipping cost: $12.00
    jeff

DO NOT FEED ! THE DRAGON

Default Poor QC..

I don't know about you guys, but my machine has less then 300 hours and I have gone through 3 QC.. I just replaced it again and check everything over and over. It's clean and oiled. I don't understand why it keeps making grooves in the side of it..
    Any ideas for that problem, before I order another QC for a back up...

Default 4 qc

i am on my fourth QC the 1st one lasted almost 200 hours the last 2 i bought lasted less than 18 hours each. on this one the fourth one i take a tooth brush with WD oil and clean it each bit change and each carving if it continues after that, i am considering replacing the z truck
    jeff

DO NOT FEED ! THE DRAGON

Smile

Has there been any thought to the adapters might be the reason for the failures. Like maybe the adapters are not tempered enough or the groove is not cut deep enough. Just a thought not a fact.
    http://william.bowen.com/:)
    ("There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    - Herbert Spencer )

roughtcut

I have been pretty outspoken about this problem in the past. My problem was not BB marks or improper maintenance but a out of balanced QC that took out the spindle bearings plain and simple.

Is it just me or is my standards of expectations just set to high? I admit that I go over the top sometimes and try to purchase high quality leading edge equipment most of the time. But I have a strong feeling most of us here share this standards of expectations. Enough said

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...8226#post88226

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast