Thread: QC Failure Observation

Default QC Failure Observation

HI, Well, my Quick chuck bit the dust and is putting bb marks in the adapter. One thing I did notice is this.

Prior to the chuck going bad, it was producing great quality carves, I always made sure that when it did a cut out it did it at 0.25 at a time.

The last project before the chuck went bad, it was cutting out a piece when it encountered a fairly good sized knot, really thought the bit would miss it. But, i left the machine unattended for a few minutes and came back to find a stall error, first one ever, and a piece of the knot had broke off and jammed the QC and z truck. Cleaned it all up and everything seemed okay, visually.

The very next project I noticed the cut outs were not smooth at all and very jagged. Checked the bit adapter and sure enough bb marks.

It's obvious to me the knot caused the chuck to go bad. It was fine before it got jammed and bad after. I think the QC's go bad, because under some situations they are strained to push thru a cut which puts side stress's on the QC.
    If I am pointing out the obvious, thanks for letting tell my story.

PS, got my replacement chuck just before they ran put of them.

Tom
    Custom Quilt Racks & Hangers
    www.gwizpro.com

Thumbs up

Hey Tom,

Thanks for passing along the Info,
    We all learn a little from each others experiences with these machines,
    and what to look out for down the road.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Quote Originally Posted by gwiz View Post
    HI, Well, my Quick chuck bit the dust and is putting bb marks in the adapter. One thing I did notice is this.

Prior to the chuck going bad, it was producing great quality carves, I always made sure that when it did a cut out it did it at 0.25 at a time.

The last project before the chuck went bad, it was cutting out a piece when it encountered a fairly good sized knot, really thought the bit would miss it. But, i left the machine unattended for a few minutes and came back to find a stall error, first one ever, and a piece of the knot had broke off and jammed the QC and z truck. Cleaned it all up and everything seemed okay, visually.

The very next project I noticed the cut outs were not smooth at all and very jagged. Checked the bit adapter and sure enough bb marks.

It's obvious to me the knot caused the chuck to go bad. It was fine before it got jammed and bad after. I think the QC's go bad, because under some situations they are strained to push thru a cut which puts side stress's on the QC.
    If I am pointing out the obvious, thanks for letting tell my story.

PS, got my replacement chuck just before they ran put of them.

Tom
    Good looking out Tom, another piece of the QC puzzle. Seems knots and hardwood are the enemy of the QC!

Ike