Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotating Letters

1. Default

Look at pic for example on how to rotate text. As Ed says you have to resize when you rotate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rotate text.png  

Thanks eelamb, it's much closer to what I'm looking to do but I notice just a slight warping/italized when rotated, but just the slightest. What did you do to get them to this point? I always appreciate the help, but would like to learn what methods work best.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clock Face.PNG 
Views:	35 
Size:	390.5 KB 
ID:	68308
    Quote Originally Posted by CW-HAL9000 View Post
    Look at pic for example on how to rotate text.
    My intent is to rotate all the numbers as you move around the clock so the base is towards the center. I've tried both entering the rotation angle as well as moving the green dot around, but both of these methods distort the number. Here's the intent.
    '

OK here it is again with numbers rotated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clock face.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Although I don't now why there would be any differences, there was another user here on the forum that had the Times New Roman font and it didn't look the same as mine. You may have the same type as he did so my numbers may not look the same as yours.

When you put the numbers on the clock, use the size box on the toolbar to set the height before you rotate. Don't set the width. It will auto-size proportionately to keep the same aspect ratio. Also, set the angle of the numbers using the toolbar angle box instead of the rotation handle. This assures that all numbers will be the same size and at the exact angle needed. I reduced the size of the numbers so the VII, VIII, and IX didn't run together.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steve

Thanks guys, still can't figure out why the numbers became distorted, maybe it is the version of TNR font I have. I tried several different fonts and had the same results as before.

Eddie - can I ask how you did this? I appreciate the help but I'd also like to learn how to avoid this in the future.
    Steve - I followed your directions but had the same result as before with the distorted text. And it does it regardless if I use raster, outline or centerline.

OK, so I tried something different. Started a new project and entered numbers, set the height as Steve recommended, then rotated the text. Worked fine.

Went back into the clock mpc and entered new text (not copied), set the height and rotated without problem appearing again. So the issue was with the original text (in this case the number XII) which I copied and placed around the clock face then edited. Don't know why it became jacked up, but now it's working as I wanted it to. Fortunatly there isn't a lot of re-work needed to get the project finished for the weekend.

Narrowed the issue down some more. When I adjust (constrain) both the height and width of the text, the distortion occurs. If I only constrain one of the variables, no distortion. This will make it more challenging to find a font that will give me the results I'm after (narrow & tall numbers). So it appears there is a bug in the software as this is an undesirable and uncontrollable result, at least in 1.187. Does anyone know if this occurs in 2.xx? May be the motivation I need to make the transition.

I suspect the undesired tilt occurs because you stretched the letters, changing their aspect ratio. Try entering new text, place it at an angle, then drag the top of the rectangle outlining the text upwards to see what I mean.

Same in Designer 2.

Quote Originally Posted by tcough3475 View Post
    Eddie - can I ask how you did this? I appreciate the help but I'd also like to learn how to avoid this in the future.
    All I did was create each letter one at a time, and place it on the board at the proper location. Then I zoomed on on each and rotated the letter using the center node, and moved the letter to the right location again. There was no need to resize.
    Yes resizing using the yellow node will distort the letters. Always use one of the 4 corner nodes. This keeps the aspect ration right. But for this type of work using the resize on the menu where you type in the size you want is best, for only that way can you get all the letters the same size.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast