Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elegant Umbrella Stand Project

What may i ask does an elephant fishing pole look like?

Wooden nickel

To start with the reel is actually a 10 ton winch. FYI - I think Elephant fishing is catch and release only.
    John

If you don't like cussing you'll want to stay out of my shop!

Hello Michael
    I am amassed with your talents I have done 7 of 8 of your projects and Ditto to what swhitney said I have learned much in my own design carving projects like yours and others
    I love it and excited to make it 8 of 9
    Cheers and have a great day
    Ray

Default Elephant Fishing

Wooden nickel,

When you were young didn’t ever go Elephant Fishing in Wisconsin ??
    We used to go out nearly every spring here in Michigan.
    You would need a bucket with about and inch of water in it to keep them fresh, a pair of binoculars, good set of tweezers,
    and a Popsicle stick for a pole with a piece of thread tied to it, and a peanut on the end for bait.
    You would look through the binoculars backwards for Elephants. When you saw one, you would wave the peanut in front of them,
    and while they were distracted, you could carefully pick them up with the tweezers and put them in your bucket to take home.
    We haven’t been out for several years now, --- It’s a pity there’s just no more wild Elephants here in Michigan
    –- Guess they’ve been all fished out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bucket of Elephants.jpg  
    Last edited by Kenm810; 03-19-2009 at 12:09 PM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Ken,

That's just too funny!! I have all these pictures in my head now and won't be able to get rid of them for months!!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Beautiful finishing on this one. Is it the sanding between the coats that leaves it darker around the ornate areas of the back stand?
    Louie

Don't try to teach a pig to sing, it annoys the pig and is a waste of your time. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by bizbiki View Post
    Beautiful finishing on this one. Is it the sanding between the coats that leaves it darker around the ornate areas of the back stand?

Hello Louie,

That's just the way the stain "took" to the wood and when I wiped off the excess. The sanding between clear coats with the 400-grit paper is just to lightly knock off any dust particles that settle on the clearcoat.

Just thought of something else I would like to share...

I make extensive use of a flashlight when I apply brushed clearcoats on any of my projects. Shining the light in such a way that reflects onto the surface (not shining it directly on the surface, necessarily) makes any imperfections, missed spots, and runs show up really well.

My wife thinks it looks funny when I'm doing that. I have a flashlight in my left hand and the clearcoat brush in my right. I'm constantly changing the angle of the flashlight and the angle of sight (tilting my head, contorting my body) during the clearcaot applications. When I get the "correct angle" I can clearly see where the finish needs attention! Hard to explain, but that's more or less it!

Spray or wipe-on finishes are a little easier, but I "flashlight inspect" those too, after they have been applied.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

The flashlight also shows up the elephants nicely!

Cool light

Dont you just hate it when those pesky elephants show up where you dont want them??

Quote Originally Posted by Kenm810 View Post
    Wooden nickel,

When you were young didn’t ever go Elephant Fishing in Wisconsin ??
    We used to go out nearly every spring here in Michigan.
    You would need a bucket with about and inch of water in it to keep them fresh, a pair of binoculars, good set of tweezers,
    and a Popsicle stick for a pole with a piece of thread tied to it, and a peanut on the end for bait.
    You would look through the binoculars backwards for Elephants. When you saw one, you would wave the peanut in front of them,
    and while they were distracted, you could carefully pick them up with the tweezers and put them in your bucket to take home.
    We haven’t been out for several years now, --- It’s a pity there’s just no more wild Elephants here in Michigan
    –- Guess they’ve been all fished out.

Care to share what you've been smoking Ken.

Another great project Michael, your pushing me further to signing up for the POM, just don't know when I will get the time to make them all.
    If it doesn't fit force it. If it breaks then it needed replacing anyway.

Have a Craftsman Carver and Running Ver. 1.150

Posting pictures tutorial http://www.malanoski.com/downloads/posting_pictures.pdf.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12