Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elegant Umbrella Stand Project

Default Elegant Umbrella Stand Project

Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month - the "Elegant Umbrella Stand"

The project requires three bits: the two bits that came with your machine, plus the CarveWright ¼" Ballnose Bit and ¼" bit adapter.
    If you don’t already own that bit, you can order it directly from the CarveWright Store at http://store.carvewright.com

The finished stand dimensions are about 16½" wide x 10" deep x 22" tall to provide an attractive and convenient repository for a minimum of four standard umbrellas.

A suggestion from another user last month was to provide a few details beforehand so that folks would have time to "gather" the materials, etc.

Main items you will need:
    1) The 4 Project Files (included)
    Umb_Stand_Left_Front.mpc
    Umb_Stand_Right_Front.mpc
    Umb_Stand_TOP_Base.mpc
    Umb_Holder_Arm.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
    Stand_Left_Front: .75" x 9.25" x 29"
    Stand_Right_Front: .75" x 9.25" x 29"
    Stand_TOP_Base: .75" x 11.25" x 24"
    Holder_Arm: .75" x 9.25" x 24"
    (NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of each board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Two 5/8" diameter x 14 1/8" (14.125") wooden dowels

4) Eight #6 x ¾" or 1" wood screws

5) One 12" x 12" self-stick vinyl tile or self-stick cork shelf sheeting

5) Sandpaper, drill, clamps, wood glue, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

6) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here's what I used to finish my umbrella stand made from Select Pine...

Finish Details:
    1) Bullseye Sanding Sealer - one light coat (2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured Alcohol)

2) Stain - Cabot brand Pecan stain (slightly thinned with paint thinner to gain more working time)

3) Clearcoat - Minwax water-based Satin polycrylic, spot-sanding flat areas with 400-grit wet/dry sandpaper between coats.(3 coats)

After the finish is dry, an option is to glue four feet on your stand. I used four small decorative wooden knobs from a craft store, stained them to match, then glued them on the underside of the base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FINISHED_Umbrella_Stand_300x400.jpg   Umb_Stand_in_Foyer300x400.jpg   Preview_Unfinished_Umbrella_Stand_800x600.jpg  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 03-18-2009 at 03:34 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Mike,

No pictures of this one???
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

Oops. Thought I uploaded 'em - anyway, got them up now.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

SWEET - You could use it to hold fishing poles too!!!
    John

If you don't like cussing you'll want to stay out of my shop!

Ok i'm getting new glasses tomorrow. I just spent the last 5 minutes trying to figure out why you were calling it a elephant stand project since i could not find any. I even googled it to see what one was but they all had elephants one did hold umbrellas. So i don't know if this is a insult or complement since i apparently can't see but the project does look great.

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed

Michael T,

Another Really Beautiful Project, As always !!

Ps. Ed ---- You had me looking at it twice -- Elephant Stand Project
    (as He shakes head)
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Very nice!!

LG

Another wonderful project.... and a HUMUNGOUS THANK YOU for including the board sizes, and other requirements so that those of us who are subscribers can have everything prepared in advance of receiving the POM (project of the month for you new folks...)

For those who are not yet subscribers... this is another great reason to do so now. Much can be learned from running someone elses design, and it has helped me in thinking differently about some of my in progress designs. (the preceeding was a non-paid, shameless plug)

Again, thank you Michael T for your great work
    ver 1.162
    -If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is jammed, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
    -If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape it. If it doesn't move and it should, Boeshield T-9

Thank you all! Hope you'll enjoy making it as much as I did!

Now, a couple of you got me thinking maybe I should design an Elephant Fishing Pole Holder!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Very nice!

HT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast