Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: saw mill

My toy mill was $2500.00, I wish I had gotten a LT-10. Nice mill.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by MikeON View Post
    Here's how I haul my logs. The John Deere does the loading. I recently got a 5,000 lb Autocrane off ebay to mount on the truck.

WOW, can I be your new best friend????

Default poor

i am going to have to go with joe's build it yourself one because i am an underemployed construction worker
    jeff

DO NOT FEED ! THE DRAGON

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Birt View Post
    Do you add some extra nitrogen at the same time? Just curious as cellulose actually fixes (absorbs) nitrogen while it is decomposing; it releases nitrogen after decomposition. Adding too much sawdust or wood chips can cause nitrogen starving in the short term. Adding a bit of nitrogen rich fertilizer at the same time will help avoid the problem.

That is just something I remember from a book I read several years ago on organic gardening (OK, what exactly is in-organic gardening?). I don't quite buy into the whole 'green' nonsense that is so popular now. I just like to learn about different ways to do things.
    You're right , Jeff.

We buy rough oak by the bunk, let it stand dry for at least a year then plane it producing copious amounts of chips, shavings and sawdust. I then till it into the garden soil along with high N content fertilizer. This results in excellent tilth because of the high organic content. We do test the soil annually to determine how to amend it.
    Jerry

Joanne and me enjoying a beautiful fall in Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills.

Here's my 1998 Woodmizer LT40HD Super Hydraulic with 40HP diesel. I got it used in 2002. Had to rebuild the bottom of the engine due to a spun bearing, but it has been fine ever since. The red oak pictured made stair treads for several houses as well as trim moulding, etc. I also sawed out my garage/workshop with it, from pine, with board and batten hemlock siding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails redoak.jpg  

FREE WOOD! Kind of ... there are a lot of Wood Mizers and other brands of portable wood mills out there. There are at least 5 within 30 miles of me. I have found the operators of these mills can always use a hand and if you can be "paid" in rough cut lumber, they will listen to your proposal. When cutting a log, the first cut is almost all bark and gets tossed, the second cut however, has bark on both sides and is irregular in shape ... perfect for man projects. So, I offer to help pull the cut slabs off of the woodmill which speeds up the process for the operator. In return, I get to cherry pick those pieces of wood that would have gone to a burn pile ... it is waste to them and gold to me. Cherry, Oak, Maple, Elm, Ash, Birch ... of course you have to dry it for a year before ou can user it but if you help out say 6 days a year, you will have beautiful stacks of lumber in your yard. You will need to know how to properly sticker, seal the ends and cover it for best drying but all of that information is available on line. You can contact woodmizer to find the mils in your area. (And be prepared to be sore the day after helping!)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345