Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with 2 sided carving

Default Fun with 2 sided carving

I'm playing with my carver and just developed something new (to me at least). They have come out with a special unit (jig) for the Educational groups that will only produce a race car. I liked the concept, and so did lots of the others but it's not available to us as yet. I did some work last night and today and can emulate, or possibly best their inovation.

I just finished a lesson on how I set up the design. It would be something fun for my Home Schoolers.
    Bud
    http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-...%20Carving.zip
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Default thanks

Bud
    thanks for taking the time to show your techniques it has helped me shorten my learning curve. With out all the help from this forum I would sill be just making scrap pieces.
    Thanks again
    Glenn

Default two sides

thanks Bud

I have had luck with carving fish very easy to match up . now we need to try some 2 side scans , should be very intersting. If anyone can figure it out YOU COULD!

OLD SALT

Member CarveWright Start U team

Default Scanning Probe

I need to order a probe. I have not had one for about 10 months.

I still envision 4 sided carving in the near future. All "we" need to do is work on the fine points!

Today, I've worked on a milk cow. The first one looks like a Sacred Cow from India. Her pattern lacks the depth of the Decoy Duck so when I set the depth at ".8" and Height at 900, it did not help too much. I did a 2nd one at a depth of ".5" and it's only slightly better. I, also, had to use my jig saw to finish the cut-out of the cow.

I just finished laying out my test for tomorrow. I made the depth less and raised the height to 950. I am also trying a Double-Down-Dome on a carve area around the cow to bring some perspective. Moreover, I'm trying a manual carve around the cow so I can eliminate the jig saw work. Needless to say, my eyes will be glued to the machine as I carve the front side. I used the circles, as I did on the other tests, so hopefully it will bypass a full depth cut in those areas.

I suppose that I'll do a special lesson if it works out the way I want.

If I succeed, I envision the Pattern Makers may scramble to make some matching Rear and Side views to compliment some of their better patterns. They may double their $$ on some old ones!

Got to go. I've got a special query form a Kim Komando member that just came in my eMail.
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

So my question on a 2 sided carving is the following........ Does the machine actually ask you to "flip" the board when it's done with one side OR does it just create the "backside" of the carving on a "new & different" section of the board. If that's the case then I guess you would need a twice as long board to cover both sides of the carving. Still learning......... Thanks,JerryB
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Quote Originally Posted by chebytrk View Post
    So my question on a 2 sided carving is the following........ Does the machine actually ask you to "flip" the board when it's done with one side OR does it just create the "backside" of the carving on a "new & different" section of the board. If that's the case then I guess you would need a twice as long board to cover both sides of the carving. Still learning......... Thanks,JerryB
    You flip the board when the fist side is done.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

Nice work Bud, thanks for your effort.
    Ken
    Last edited by Ken Massingale; 03-15-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Default 2 sided carve

WYSWYG
    Jerry,
    What You See is What You Get
    A true 2 sided carve is just that. The front side of the project has one carve design, and the "Rear" of that same board has the other design. In my video, I'm using the same pattern on both sides (reversing the pattern on the back) so that the contour matches exactly. When you review the video, you see where I "Centered" both sides exactly the same (on the projects shown).

If you are going to glue two carves together, you could place both parts on one longer/higher board. That is not a true 2 sided carve (IMHO).

If you want to see a 2 sided carve in action watch the CW Education Video on this link and click on "Racing": http://carvewright.com/education/edu...ite_racing.htm
    In your mind, just replace the metal sled/jig that they use with a wooden one of your own design.
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Hello Jerry,

Another handy way to discover the various functions and possibilities of your machine is to run some of the Projects offered in the CarveWright Store. "Shameless" plug I know, but it is a fun way to gain useful experience while learning a LOT about what the machine can do!

Generally, folks that are Monthly Project Subscribers also are a little "ahead of the curve" in knowing what their machines are capable of, and how it does what it does.

A few two-sided carving projects (Trout Clock, Yo-Yo, Old-Fashined Wheeled Toys, Sailboat Weather Predictor) are in the CarveWright store, with some now available at Amazon.com and soon Lowes.com as well. Lots more projects are forthcoming! All projects include complete step-by-step illustrated instructions to lead you through.

All the Best...
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hello Jerry,

Another handy way to discover the various functions and possibilities of your machine is to run some of the Projects offered in the CarveWright Store. "Shameless" plug I know, but it is a fun way to gain useful experience while learning a LOT about what the machine can do!

Generally, folks that are Monthly Project Subscribers also are a little "ahead of the curve" in knowing what their machines are capable of, and how it does what it does.
    ...I understand what you are saying, about "exploring" the possibilities of our new machine, however, I feel at $2,000 there should be a better guide to teach us, or at least include a few low skill projects to learn from....I know the American economy sux right now, but I feel a brother should be able to help a brother, without having to charge him... That is what is so great about all of you here on this forum....the willingness to share, without the need for paypal.
    just my .02 cents
    Last edited by Carve Daddy; 03-16-2009 at 11:46 PM.
    "We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast