Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QC Problem

Default QC Problem

Hi all, I can't get my 1/8" bit out of the QC.
    I can't even pinch the collar together with
    my fingers. As suggested by other posts, I
    have tried tapping, sprayed some lube up in
    there, tapped some more. Any other suggestions
    would be greatly appreciated.

Thx Jeff

Have you checked to see if your set screws came loose. I only ask because that happened to me once and I had a bear of a time getting it out.

Hello Jeff,

Gentle, but persistent "working" with the bit removal tool all around the bit collar will free the collar so it will lift.

Pry lightly a little, turn the chuck slightly, pry gently, turn, pry, turn, pry... Be conservative with the lifting so you don't force it. Light prying will sometimes feel like you are not "doing anything" but you are - don't get too agressive.

Eventually, it will allow the collar to lift. If indeed your set screw(s) have backed out to the point the bit is "jammed", you may need to lightly tap downwards with a flat-blade screwdriver on the top of the flat part of the bit adaptor - tap, turn, tap, turn...

Place a bunched-up towel under the chuck in case the bit falls out unexpectedly so you won't damage the bit or the traction belts.

After you get it out, clean the chuck really, really well with a toothbrush/mirror/flashlight/wooden toothpick to make sure all traces of any packed sawdust are no longer present. Inspect the adaptor and setscrews carefully to see if the assembly requires any attention. If necessary, remove the setscrews (you may need to apply heat to be able to unscrew them - 2 minutes of heat from a heat gun should do it), clean off any Loctite residue (wire brush and Denatured Alcohol), re-apply new Loctite then retighten the setscrews firmly, making sure the bit is seated properly with the flats lined up with the setscrews. (I use Blue Loctite, but others use the permanent Red - your choice.)

Please let us know how you make out.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I had the same problem with the 1/8" cutting bit...when you get it out inspect the adapter closely for the 3 dimples caused by the spring loaded BBs. If the dimples are there the adapter is no good anymore.
    I was given good advice when using the 1/8" cutting bit...set the Max Depth at .25" so there will be less side pressure on such a long bit. This is a new option in the latest version of Designer.
    Rick P -- ( Designer v.1.187 + Rock + Dust Devil)
    Carver in Minnesota
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford, 38th President

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    I had the same problem with the 1/8" cutting bit...when you get it out inspect the adapter closely for the 3 dimples caused by the spring loaded BBs. If the dimples are there the adapter is no good anymore.
    I was given good advice when using the 1/8" cutting bit...set the Max Depth at .25" so there will be less side pressure on such a long bit. This is a new option in the latest version of Designer.
    Actually, the max depth settings have been available in the last 3 versions of Designer 1.131, 1.132, 1.133

For details on how to use this feature, see the Tips & Tricks - ISSUE 12 September 2008 "Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights "

NOTE: It is usually not necessary to make multi-pass cutouts - especially on softwoods like pine or poplar. However, if you feel uncomfortable, or if you are having "bad luck" with single-pass cut outs, then by all means go ahead and use the multi-pass.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 03-07-2009 at 01:15 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Thanks for the help guys, but its still not coming out.
    I'm guessing new Qc and bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jtsvstar1100 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys, but its still not coming out.
    I'm guessing new Qc and bit.

Another trick you might try,

while holding the outer sleeve of the QC so it will not turn, try to get a good grip on the lower part of the bit adapter (you might want to wear some leather gloves so you do not get cut by the bit) and see if you can turn and wiggle the bit adapter back and forth.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Michael T - thank you for the clarification on the versions of Designer.

I should add that I was warned (after the fact) by a long time CW user that performing a one-pass cutout in 3/4" thick red oak is very strenuous on the CW, the QC and the 1/8" cutting bit. I have learned my lesson the hard way. Also, if there is a QC balancing issue, which mine had, performing the one-pass cutout is even more strenuous on the adapter and bit. I had no problems with the V-bits.
    Rick P

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Actually, the max depth settings have been available in the last 3 versions of Designer 1.131, 1.132, 1.133

For details on how to use this feature, see the Tips & Tricks - ISSUE 12 September 2008 "Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights "

NOTE: It is usually not necessary to make multi-pass cutouts - especially on softwoods like pine or poplar. However, if you feel uncomfortable, or if you are having "bad luck" with single-pass cut outs, then by all means go ahead and use the multi-pass.
    Last edited by Rick P; 03-08-2009 at 04:27 PM.
    Rick P -- ( Designer v.1.187 + Rock + Dust Devil)
    Carver in Minnesota
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." Gerald Ford, 38th President

Thats what I did....... Well let me explain what I did.
    I'm Making a octagon poker table, which consists of
    8 pcs of oak 8.25" x 25". Out of these pcs I cut out the
    chip trap which is 5.25" x 14" and a cut holder 3.25" diameter.
    I used the cut path and cut all the way through the 3/4" Oak
    in one pass. 1/2 way through the seventh pc I found the small
    set screw bouncing around on the project, After help from
    another post we figured out it was the set screw from the
    adapter bit. Replaced the screw, "Oh my god" I didn't know
    to use loctite. Finished the 7th and 8th pc, went to remove
    the bit and I've tried all the suggestions and that sucker is
    in there to stay. I've worked and worked and there is just not
    any sign of movement or freeing up. I don't know what to do
    from here. I'm reading post on how to remove the QC and that
    doesn't sound like alot fun.
    In hindsite I have a nice portercable router and I would not
    try to cut 3/4" oak with it in one pass. Why would I do it with
    the CW, other than there are a few posts that say its ok to do it.

Jeff

Hello,

Nothing wrong with doing multi-pass cutouts. That's the way the machine originally did it anyway. You'll just need to perform a little more sanding of the edges after the fact, to get rid of minor banding marks.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast