Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Center-line in a carve region, etc...

Question Centerline in a carve region

I believe carvewright already has the tools to make this work. A feature could be added to the text tool; call it "centerline in a carve region" or whatever. When the project carve got to the point of adding this text, the machine would first ask for the installation of the probe instead of a carving bit. The CW would then proceed to measure the surface depths along the path of the desired centerline text. This probe data path would then be "added" to the centerline path information resulting in a new centerline data path adjusted for the actual surface where the text will be carved. The operator would next be asked to install the appropriate bit as usual to carve the centerline text.
    DidItInTheBuff
    CW version 1.152

RMarkey is offline Firmware Lord, Web Guru, IT King, Raccoon Catcher, Cable-repairer, Bucket Dumper, Undisputed Thumbs-Down Champion

The max depth of the 90deg bit into any board is 0.75" before the truck bottoms out.

My 2 cents. It seems to me if I do a CL text within a carved region, and I screw up an place the text close to the edge of the carve region don't I risk the possibility of tearing the edge of the carved region with the 90 or 60 degree bit. I can see why it would be dangerous to do this. I make enough mistakes on my own without inviting more disaster.
    Just my opinion.
    Hank

Default Centerline near edge of region

Hank,

That could be a problem if you were using the wide 60 or 90 degree bits. However, you can get 1/8" wide bits for CL from Ron Justice that would solve that problem.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Default New software now available, "Conform Vectors"

There is now a new software package to handle Centerline text in a recessed area. It is titled "Conform Vectors".

Here is a thread that speaks to some members initial testing upon release.
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...112#post140112

Here is a link to the LHR sales page.
    http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/cwsoftware.htm
    AskBud
    Last edited by AskBud; 10-13-2010 at 04:10 AM.
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

The "not scaling" evidently includes not allowing for the extra thickness of a sled. It cut right thru my 1/8" thick sled. The cutout area with a carved out area behind it worked fine. A possible workaround would be to have a zero depth carved region behind it. I will try that soon, but if someone else gets a chance first, please let me know if it works.
    Clint

Angry Are there limitations to conforming vectors?

I picked a scroll from the patterns depot. I applied to the cross with dove pattern and used conforming vectors and centerline text to carve out the lettering. This worked fine when my project was 3/4" thick and the letters surface were like 1/8" down from the original board surface. The cross carving gave me a lot of headaches cleaning it up afterwards so I decided to create the next one by carving just the dove and the scroll and gluing it to the cross. I just laid out the scroll on 3/4" board and used conforming vectors to carve the lettering. The carving came out fine, but when it came time to change bits and carve the lettering, the 60 degree v bit started carving the letters in space instead of the lowered surface. Then the machine failed with a Z-Axis stall. Huh??? It didn't carve any letters in the new surface of the scroll. I had the new surface down at about 5/8" inches, leaving 1/8 inch thick flat surface of the scroll to write on. The Designer 3, shows it just fine and that's what I expected the machine to do. It failed. After a 3 hour carve, how do I salvage the scroll and lettering??? I'm rarely able to complete a project without this machine failing in one way or another. It's very frustrating.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12