Thread: Is this typical?

Autoflow Guest

Default Is this typical?

Hello. First i'd like to introduce myself. My name is Joe I've been reading the forum for a long time got my machine a few months ago but haven't really used it in this cold weather. now that its warmer i started testing its limits.

I tried the scanning probe on a quarter this is the result I got on Best quality. I search the forum and read about the problems some of you have had. Is this scan the best I can expect for something this size? if not what do you think is wrong? the machine and the probe doesn't really vibrate seriously its kinda like a little hum of a vibrate. all the movements are smooth. I was kinda expecting more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screen-capture.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello Joe and Welcome!

Unfortunately, a normal-sized coin is far too small and detailed to scan with the probe and get a satisfactory result, as you have already experienced for yourself (the detail on a coin is also too "flat"). You will need to scan bigger things!

Take a peek at the 3.5" "coins" I scanned a couple years ago - those were big enough to get fairly good detail. I've had a lot of folks make carvings from them and they seem to carve very well.

You can download these (and a few more) FREE coin patterns from:
    http://www.carvebuddy.com/coins.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BIGIndian_Head_Cent.jpg   BIGIndian_Head_CentReverse.jpg   BIG5cent_pieceFront.jpg   BIG20dollar_GoldLibertyHead.jpg  

BIG20dollar_GoldLibertyHeadReverse.jpg  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 02-27-2009 at 08:51 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Autoflow Guest

Thank you. can you think of any generic item or maybe something you have scanned that i might have, that i could scan and then upload just to make sure its working correctly? Im a little worried after reading the other posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Autoflow View Post
    Thank you. can you think of any generic item or maybe something you have scanned that i might have, that i could scan and then upload just to make sure its working correctly? Im a little worried after reading the other posts.
    Hello,

Maybe you could find an interesting item or two at your local Dollar Store. I wrote a Tips & Tricks newsletter that was dedicated to scanning techniques. You might find that interesting and informative, if you haven't read that already...

- Tips & Tricks ISSUE 9 June 2008
    "Scanning Sled Techniques"

Also, you might enjoy viewing the Scanning Probe video I made a couple years ago...

http://www.carvebuddy.com/scanningvi..._it_works.html
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 02-28-2009 at 12:20 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by Autoflow View Post
    Hello. First i'd like to introduce myself. My name is Joe I've been reading the forum for a long time got my machine a few months ago but haven't really used it in this cold weather. now that its warmer i started testing its limits.

I tried the scanning probe on a quarter this is the result I got on Best quality. I search the forum and read about the problems some of you have had. Is this scan the best I can expect for something this size? if not what do you think is wrong? the machine and the probe doesn't really vibrate seriously its kinda like a little hum of a vibrate. all the movements are smooth. I was kinda expecting more...
    All though the scan of the quarter does not show the detail one would want a quarter is only about 1 inch and very little relief if you pick something just a little bigger and more relief the results in what the probe picks up is amazing.This Scan is only 1.5-1.75 about 1/2 in. wider than the quarter and much more relief but a big difference in detail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HorseWagon.jpg  

Ver 1.179
    HP-Nvidia HD Video Card
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Scanning with Carvewight Probe and Next Engine 3d Laser Scanner HD
    If you have any scanning needs let us know.Check Out Our Patterns in the depot under eromran

If you allow it to happen, you can let today erase all of yesterday or if you choose,you can let yesterday erase the rest of your life.
    Ed