Thread: Measures Board Short

Default Measures Board Short

I loaded an 18 in long board by 11 inches 3/4 inch think and it is measuring it at 10.89 inches long the error reads as follows

10.89/18.00
    do you want to scale it on the length.

I have cleaned everything I can think of, and I just got the machine back from have it serviced. Any suggestion would be appreciated I can not go another day with out the machine.

I have attached my project also.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Short measurements

My machine consistently does the same thing. As a workaround, I tape a thin scrap of wood to both ends to make the measurement fall within range, tell the machine to center the job and everything works fine.

Scaling down is trouble.

What size is your virtual board in your project?
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

I think everyone missed the obvious..... 7 inches...... The 7 inch rule.....

I believe that the machine is telling HIM that with staying under the rollers his 18 inch board now has a 11 inches long WORK AREA..... Not Width but LENGTH......

Read Tips and Tricks and take 2 Aspirin and get a good nights sleep you will be carving in the morning....

AL

Reminds me of this story about the first day of medical school lab for a group of new students from TV Doctor HOUSE.

On the slab was a male body donated to medical science.

The instructor gathered the students around and told them that "Today you will learn the MOST valuable lesson of your whole medical career, one that will aid you through your whole life"

He then said to the Students, "Are we ready?"

They respond "yes".

At that point the instructor takes his middle finger and quickly inserts it into the #2 Port of the male body. Then Quickly removes it and inserts his index finger into his mouth and removes it.

The students are Cringing.... In SHOCK......

He wipes his hand and then tells the students that they must do "Exactly" what HE did.....

One by one they do it Exactly as HE did..... Two were not paying attention to the small details and inserted there middle finger in BOTH Places....... The rest of the students did it CORRECTLY.... Middle Finger in #2 and INDEX finger into the mouth.....

Hence.... The MOST VALUABLE lesson.... It's the small DETAILS.....
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 02-13-2009 at 09:03 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Cool It's the small DETAILS

Ya got it !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7 Inch Rule.jpg  
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Quote Originally Posted by Kenm810 View Post
    Ya got it !!

Yep.... Length or Width.... Index of Middle..... The small details...

Yum,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

cw

I looked at your mpc -

1. Your real board should be 7" longer than the one in Designer - 25", not 18" (or you need a carrier board 25" long to place the work on - but using the machine to rout the edges then would be out of the question).

If it isn't, you stand the chance of the board tipping during the carve, due to its not staying under the rollers.

2. I know the machine can rout edges, but I haven't done that, and don't have any real feedback, other than the issue, again, of staying under the rollers.

I'm fortunate enough to have a router table, and a couple of routers I use for the finishing work on my projects. A wise man taught me about a year ago to not use the CW for tasks your other basic tools can do.

That said, it you do have a router, I'd let the machine carve the project, then cut it to the proper lxw, and rout the edges "by hand". If you don't, the CW will do the work for you, but I'd get some feedback from the guys here that have some experience with results.

But that's just me.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

cw

Sorry, one other thing -

You may want to assign bit optimization to best on the arrow. You also may want to add a small draft to it, and not make it quite so deep - .25 may be better than .40. It doesn't look too deep in Designer the way it is, but that deep with no draft, you will likely get some chipping that you won't be happy with.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright