Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flexshaft temperature & lube..concerned..new machine

Default Flexshaft temperature & lube..concerned..new machine

I have a brand new CX with about 11 hours on it and the flex shaft temperature has me concerned.

I've been all over the forum and have seen some say "a little warm is OK" and others say "warmer than body temp is very bad." Mine warms up to where it's almost uncomfortable to touch (on an 8 hour carve). For reference, my water heater runs at 120F and the flexshaft definitely doesn't get that hot. It's not kinked in any way and comes over the machine in a nice, smooth curve. I have never lubed it and am thinking I may need to.

Which brings me to the next question: What to use for lubrication.

Holy shmoley, are there a lot of different posts about THAT. I reckon things have changed over the years, but I found posts saying lithium grease, don't use anything with the word grease in it, use lube with organic moly, don't use lube with organic moly because it needs to be molybdenum disulfide...and the maintenance video says LHR uses a penetrating graphite lubricant and doesn't say anything about moly!

So...I need y'all's help.

- What is considered a normal temperature for the flexshaft?
    - What is an approved lube that won't void my warranty? I'm hoping I can run out and buy something local

Scooter

/I've done 4 carves now and loving the persinckety son of a gun

How the heck did I miss the sticky with "updated flexshaft information" at the top of the forum?

Sheesh.

We sell an approved lubricant for $5. Liquid Wrench changed their formula to an organic moly that doesn't work. We tried to find one commercially available, but could only find one sold in a 5 gallon bucket. We put it in small containers, but have to ship regular ground.

It should not be hotter than you can hold your hand on it at the middle of the arc. It will run a little warmer than normal during the first 10 hours or so. It was prelubed by us before shipment. We do use a penetrating lubricant, so it should not feel wet.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

The touch by hand is a good way to check the temperature but to get a better indication pick up a infra red thermometer. Your temp should range from the low 80s to mid 90s during carves. Once it gets up to 110 you should monitor it very closely and consider lubing it.

The only lubes I know for sure are the one CarveWright sells and Crane Cam Lube with molly. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-99002-1 You can either order it on line or if you know of an automotive shop that actually does engine rebuilding they should know about of it and can order it for you.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

The product you linked to its described as a paste. I read elsewhere that it should be a lubricant that does not leave any residue. Have you used this successfully?

Listen to Connie (lynnfrwd). LHR's lube should be added to the list of parts to have on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by FWMiller View Post
    The product you linked to its described as a paste. I read elsewhere that it should be a lubricant that does not leave any residue. Have you used this successfully?
    I've been using it since 2009 and still on my original 2 oz packets. My flex shaft temp averages about 85* on the majority of carves. Maybe a little higher when doing aggressive pocket cuts with straight bits. One of the best things about this lube is that there is no down time when you do have to lube the shaft. Apply the lube and put it back in and start carving, no wait time with letting it dry.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I have been using Lubraplate 930AA for years and my flex shaft hardly even gets warm. I had to replace the spacer spring once on my older (B) machine. I need more, what I had was left over from rebuilding my old Montgomery Ward Radial Arm Saw, but I can only find it sold by the case. I apply it with a chip brush, and after sever applications it works it's way into the cable.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Here is a link to a single tube.
    I have been using molygraph from Harbor Freight along with the Moly chain-lube for years.
    I figure that the little bit of grease that I use cuts wear on the spacer spring; wore my original one out.
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Not to argue...who am i kidding, I love to argue...but LHR themselves say:

"What is an overheated flexshaft?
    You are normally instructed that too hot to hold is too hot. For a more specific determination of overheated, we will say anytime the outside sheath gets hotter than 70 degrees Celsius (158 degrees Fahrenheit)."

Further, they state that if the flexshaft gets excessively hot:

There are some occasions that the flexshaft needs to be lubricated, but it should not be the first thing you look at when a flexshaft starts to overheat.

Source: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...e-CW-Flexshaft

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast