Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help with 1/16 cutting bit breaking

Default need help with 1/16 cutting bit breaking

I have searched the forums, but can't find how to control the depth of cut. I have snapped three 1/16th cutting bits because they were trying to cut too much at a time. I read the the updates to 1.131 and it says they have included support for 1/16 bits, but nowhere can I see how to limit the depth of each pass. The bits do a superb job of cutting detail, but it is really getting to be expensive to use them. I can see the depth control for cutouts, but not the regular carving. I went to 1.132, but don't see any help there......... except for the Designer crashes when leaving the board. That was an irritant I won't miss!
    Ernie ..... running 1.162 and the Rock

Ernie
    You need to click on the icon that looks like a carving bit, then you can select 1/8" or 1/16" , then down further, select depth,next line down selct max depth per pass.
    If your doing a cutpath it automaticly defaults to the 1/8" bit.
    later Daniel
    1.187 Custom Woodworking for more than 40-years

Correct me if I am wrong..... But are you mistaking the 1/16 inch carving bit with the 1/16 Cut Path Bit?

Putting the 1/16 inch cut path in the machine when it wants the tapered robust 1/16 Carving bit will result is the thin 1/16 inch cut path bit snapping.

The 1/16 inch cut out bit can ONLY be used with a cut path.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I'm using the 1/16th cutting bit. Maybe that's where I'm gettin' messed up. I wouldn't consider the 1/16th cutting bit for a cutout in 3/4 inch oak. I thought there was a way to do multiple shallower passes when cutting a deeper pattern, but maybe I was just dreaming?.

Default 1/16th cutting bit

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    I'm using the 1/16th cutting bit. Maybe that's where I'm gettin' messed up. I wouldn't consider the 1/16th cutting bit for a cutout in 3/4 inch oak. I thought there was a way to do multiple shallower passes when cutting a deeper pattern, but maybe I was just dreaming?.
    Several things to consider.
    First, the 16th bit is not designed to cut out 3/4" wood. The Designer should give you a warning, if you have specified that bit. The MAX, for the 16th bit, seems to be .258.

Second, you may specify, on almost any bit selected to control the MAX cut with any pass of the tool. Say you wish to make a 1/2 inch ARC in some very hard/dense wood, you can select something like ".100" for a MAX CUT on each pass. The 1/2" cut will now be accomplished in 5 passes of the tool.
    I do this type of control all the time to avoid burning, breaking, or undue stress on the bit or machine.

See the attachment below, and note the MAX Depth area towards the bottom.
    AskBud
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cut-out with 1-16 bit.JPG  
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Thanks, Bud. The example you posted is for a cut out, my problem is doing a regular carving. The carve I had the problem with was close to 1/2 inch in depth. It was a carve of the Lord's Last Supper. I can't give you an exact depth because I modified the depth of the carve and saved the piece. I see the option screen you showed when I do a cutout, but I've not seen it when selecting a bit for a regular carve. I am not as well versed in the terminology as most of the folks on here, and that's probably why I'm having a hard time explaining what my problem is. I truly appreciate the help everyone has offered me. Please forgive my ignorance. (I guess that's why I'm still a junior member)
    Last edited by Semper Fi; 02-09-2009 at 06:25 AM.

Default Carving

Thanks, Bud. The example you posted is for a cut out, my problem is doing a regular carving. The carve I had the problem with was close to 1/2 inch in depth. It was a carve of the Lord's Last Supper. I can't give you an exact depth because I modified the depth of the carve and saved the piece. I see the option screen you showed when I do a cutout, but I've not seen it when selecting a bit for a regular carve. I am not as well versed in the terminology as most of the folks on here, and that's probably why I'm having a hard time explaining what my problem is. I truly appreciate the help everyone has offered me. Please forgive my ignorance. (I guess that's why I'm still a junior member)
    I'm a Junior Carver also!
    There is only one "Carving" bit, the one with the taper. It is 1/16th at the tip. If that is what is breaking, I would call LHR (CW) as you may have a machine problem. However, I might point out that LHR states that "Plastic" should not be cut as deep as wood (I've never done any). My point is that some wood (Oak being one) can be very hard. When you pick up a piece of wood, you can feel the extra heaviness of one piece v/s another. My rule, "If it feels heavy, cut lighter".
    I think the carving bit is moved across the board at a standard rate, depending upon the selection you choose when you load the design to the card (Draft, Normal, Best, Optimal). The board moves at 6/1000 of an inch with each pass.

The straight "Cut-Out" bits now come in 1/8th & 1/16th, and you will see the MAX Depth option.
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Thanks for explaining this to me, Bud. I guess I'll just have to put the "choose the depth of cutting"on my wish list for future enhancements from LHR in their software.

Question Is there only ONE carving bit?

I'm a bit confused now (no pun intended). I have two carving bits that came with my machine, I always assumed one was 1/8" and one was 1/16". Both are tapered and one is definitely larger and I used it once by mistake on a lithophane and it lost a lot of detail. But there is no 1/8 carving bit in the store. IIRC, doesn't the CW ask if the carving bit is 1/8 or 1/16?
    Last edited by brdad; 02-09-2009 at 07:49 AM.

Default Carve Depth

Thanks for explaining this to me, Bud. I guess I'll just have to put the "choose the depth of cutting"on my wish list for future enhancements from LHR in their software.
    Let me say again, you choose the depth of the carve (with the "Tapered Carving Bit" up front. I don't see that as a "Wish List" item. The speed of cut travel depends upon the quality choice. If you are breaking the Carving Bits, call LHR.
    AskBud
    Lesson added

vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast