Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z- Truck bearings

Default Z- Truck bearings

I did a search for z-truck bearings to see if I could find out how long they were supposed to last, yesterday I was doing a ! hour carve and towards the end I heard a much louder ( scream for lack of a better word) coming from what appeared to be the area of the z-truck, I also felt the machine and it had a little higher vibration than it normally has. I think its the bearings inside the z-truck are starting to go. I turned the machine off right away. and have been trying to find some information about it ever since, under search I only found two references, but neither apply to my problem??

sometimes the nosie can be a few things.

1. loose QC "repalce with new" make sure its tight..
    2. loose Z pack motor "check mounting screws" two on base two inside..
    3. dry flexshat "needs oil"
    4. loose bit or adapter "remove bit replace with new adapters"
    5. cracked Z truck/ bad bearings
    6. loose flexshat screw at cut motor. "replace with bigger screw"

LG
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 02-06-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Default z-truck

1. QC is tight2. z-pack motor fine 3. flex shaft is fine, when running its barely warm to the touch 4. bit and adapter are solid no movement 5 z-truck housing not cracked, that leaves the bearings inside the z- truck does anyone know how long they are supposed to last???

I saw some of your boxes fantastic..

Bearing can last for years or go bad in a day..

did you check this spot?
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 05-26-2009 at 10:52 AM.

LG, I didnt think I should tear my machine apart since I have only had it since 11-08, and less than 50 carve hours ( I think) would that void warranty?

Your are right to stop working with the uinit until you get it sounding smooth, a loud CW is a sign of pobs.

Once you rebuild a Z pack it takes 5 mins to inspect or repalce.

call LHR.

LG

Glad you liked the boxes, but those guitars of your are way out there!Thanks for all your help LG!

Your Location.... Escondido.... I know that in North County San Diego if that is where you are. I worked at Sony down I - 15 in Rancho Bernardo for 4 years and also at www.microwavespecialty.com near Escondido while I was in the Navy on weekends. Lived in Vista just down the road.

First thing I would do is remove the Z Truck top hat. Look for oil from the flex shaft. If oil from the flex shaft has gotten into the high speed bearings then it will overheat and scorch the bearing races. The Fix is to replace the bearings.... At one time I sent the first bad Z Truck to LHR for bearing replacement. The Cost was the same as a new Z Truck at the time.... Now if you need a Z Truck they sell you one for about 60 bucks and a 40 buck core charge. You need to order the Eccentric mounting Bearings too if you want new bearings.

The cold weather will effect your bearings too.... I heat them with a hair dryer now in my cold shop with the heat on.

A worn QC or Bit holder will make noise too.... Grab the tip of the bit and pull in 4 directions, any movement could be your problem rather than a high speed bearing.

Let us know.....

If in Warranty LHR will most likely want the machine back to make the repair. Expect they might also change the Flex Shaft $75.00 and the Sand Paper Belts while it is there and they will want the money before sending your machine back. The flex and Sand Paper belts are not covered under warranty. Be EXTRA careful packing the machine to protect the shaft from being pinched or kinked.

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default z-truck

Al: so if I am hearing you right, I pack up my carve wright machine send it to them, and pay for a new set of belts and flexshaft (which I dont think I need) and wait how long to get it back? I have 47 hrs and 11 minutes of cut time on that machine. mmmm it doesent seem quite right!

The spindle bearings typically go bad from over lubricating the flex shaft. The extra lube drips down into the upper bearing and flushes out the grease. I did the exact same thing. If that is the problem then I believe that CW will send you out a new/refurbished Z-truck with fresh bearings. It is not too difficult to put on yourself.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast