Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cigar Box

Default Bevel

Quote Originally Posted by PlateCarver View Post
    Can you explain how you got the outside edges on both of the "halves" beveled? It looks like a routttttttter edge but I do not see that in the MPC.

Also the eagle looks as if it is on a domed top...... an I did not see any texture choosen. What that in the pattern?
    The beveled edge is just from using a V90 bit. Draw your Rectangle and select bit as a V90. You can also adjust the depth of the bit cut.

The top is also on a domed top with a vertical surface selected. It has a depth of .25 with a height of 999.

Denny - post a picture of your finished box.

John

Default Playing With Design

Have been playing with the design for the cigar box a little. The original design called "cigar box" takes 2.20 hours to cut on best and 4.07 to cut on optimal setting. Changed the design a little, on the rear of the top section is just a plunge route. Changed the pattern to use a 1/2" straight bit instead of the 1/16" carving bit. The design is labeled "cigar box 2". This dropped the cutting time to 1.36 using best and 2.55 using the optimal setting. No real change to the design but a lot of savings on the time needed to cut. Still not satisfied, had a lot of people wanting one carved and didn't want to spend a lot of time making them. Made a third design called "cigar box 3". This uses the 1/2" staight bit to cut the two cigar tubes in the rear of the bottom section. You lose the convex surface for the tubes, but it cuts the time down even more. Cutting time on #3 is 1.15 on best and 2.09 using the optimal setting. Almost a two hour difference from design 1 to 3 on optimal setting. Just thought I would share the differences in time. Actually I like design #2 on best setting keeping the convex shapes for the cigar tubes, it kind of gives it the unique look. Not really sure you need the optimal setting on this layout. As always I am open to any comments and suggestions.

John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default box

John I made 2 of these boxes and am struggling with the finish as in varnish etc. This pic is the one where i learned from my mistakes its on a piece of oak and i stained it but didnt like it so i painted it black waterbase an wiped it off fast so as to see the grain....ask my wife what she thought and she liked it. the next day when i put the hinges on i noticed the word stoies should be stogies and so i made another one and used spar varnish , came out real nice so thank you for the pattern ..i gave it to the Cheap Cigarette store owner and he really liked it too..p.s. i forgot to take a pic of the one i gave away
    Denny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2211clyde davis alglolab photo vector.jpg  

Default Nice

The pictures are nice. Glad you could use the idea.

John

5. Default

I did some playing with this pattern and found that the carve time can be shortened to 1:30 for a 1/16 bit and 50 min for a 3/16 bit if you put the pieces end over end on a skinny board instead. Thanks for posting this pattern. We've had a lot of fun with it so far.

cigarbox2.mpc
    Last edited by JMRoberson; 10-19-2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: mistake in pattern

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123