Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cigar Box

Default Cigar Box

Attached is a cigar box that will hold two cigars. I tried to use different functions of the designer. Still playing and learning, the more I read the forum, the more ideas I get on different styles. I will probably have to make some minor adjustments, especially on the areas for the hinges. I don't have any hinges to measure so I will need to get a couple first. Take a look and if you have any suggestions please let me know what you think.

John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Looks nice John,
    A good example of 2 sided carving, something I'm still trying to da.
    Thanks
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mifflinlake View Post
    Attached is a cigar box that will hold two cigars. I tried to use different functions of the designer. Still playing and learning, the more I read the forum, the more ideas I get on different styles. I will probably have to make some minor adjustments, especially on the areas for the hinges. I don't have any hinges to measure so I will need to get a couple first. Take a look and if you have any suggestions please let me know what you think.

John
    John, very cool why don't you enter it in the contest? It can be a jewelry box just as easy. Plus it is a perfect example of making a project with a single board!

I am not sure about the eagle if it is a commercial pattern it would need to be omitted. I can't wait to see the project completed

Ike

Very Nice John!! Great job....

The eagle is fine. It's a free pattern in the gallery. I got it over a year ago in here. We'd love to see the finished project so be sure to post some pictures.
    Christopher Neil Albrecht
    Occasional Carvings
    Just A Flowing With The Grain

Ver. 1.187 on XP Pro Desktop
    Ver. 1.187 on Win. 7/64 Laptop

Patterns At The Depot

thanks Chris I noticed that commercial patterns show up in red in mpc format. I don't know if they will still upload on the card. But you can tell the shared from commercial. Still would be a great project for the contest.

Hey Chris what about you? I would love to see a design from you and be honored to have them in my files! So lets get going my friend I have an expert class with your name on it!

Ike

Default Thanks

Thanks for the comments. The Eagle pattern was a shared pattern I got from the forum. I need it to warm up some before I can do some more carving. I need the outside temp to hit in the thirties before I can get my shop warmed up to the mid fifties to sixty. The wife won't let me bring the CW into the basement. I will have this taken care of next year, I am building a seperate room in the barn so I have a place to play when its really cold out. I have a project I am designing for the contest but not sure that I will have it done before I leave. I will be out of the country for a couple weeks and won't have my laptop with me. I will have it designed before I leave just not sure I will have it carved. I will post the MPC before I leave just so others can see it. I think It is a pretty cool idea.

John

Red face "Plink"

John,
    If it's ok w/ you I'll be pilfering this design for my crew for next christmas. We do a crew poker party every Dec, and I think they'd get a kick out of the personal touch of a gift like this (courtesy of you of course )

Great work w/ the 2 side design, thinking you got it down pretty good.

I get "all" my little stuff like hinges, hasps, locks, all kids of little things from these folks. http://www.wiseacresart.com. They sell alot on ebay, but you can call em up for larger orders. Great folks and super prices. just a good lead.
    Bernie :^)

Wisdom has no value unless it's shared.
    Ver. 177 in Test mode Ver.134 in reserve

Default Go For It

Bernie,

Be my guest at using this design. I posted it hoping someone else can use it. The forum in my opinion is for helping each other and sharing patterns and layouts. I have learned a lot from designs people have posted. You may have to modify it a little depending on the hinges you get. I just set the mortice area for the hinges as a place mark until I get my actual hinges and will modify them to fit later.

John

Quote Originally Posted by mifflinlake View Post
    Bernie,

Be my guest at using this design. I posted it hoping someone else can use it. The forum in my opinion is for helping each other and sharing patterns and layouts. I have learned a lot from designs people have posted. You may have to modify it a little depending on the hinges you get. I just set the mortice area for the hinges as a place mark until I get my actual hinges and will modify them to fit later.

John
    Right on John I agree with you this should be a sharing forum and I also believe that if we need a true 3D pattern we shouldn't complain about paying for it. The folks like Michael T and HT have time and money in their work! I know with my poo but patterns I strive for perfection and they that some time!

Now on another subject hasn't any one heard of heaters!!! JK, I know it is winter and maybe I picked the wrong time of the year to have a contest. I have offered a solution to making an enclosed area for your CW to cut down on the heating area. It will cost a little bit but solve the winter whoas! I have a cover with sides I bought from Walmart for $99.00 the type you see at craft fairs they are 10' by 10' or 8' by 8' and enclosed. You can use a kerosene heater and arm the area up well enough to use the CW.

Plus I have used a hair dryer to warm up the machine and once warmed up it worked fine! Not to mention using PVC pipe with tarps, so no more excuses! LOL

Ike

John I need your help, how did you make the concave area for the cigars? When you invert it shows a rounded top. How do you do it?

Ike
    Last edited by Ike; 01-21-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast