Editing Protected Patterns

1. bergerud
    bergerud
    This is really a test of the Vendor Group for me. (Not much action here!)

I do not have any patterns for sale in the Pattern Depot yet, but, I have a question. If I had a pattern in the depot and, say it was screwed up buy some new feature like Floor feather, could I edit the pattern without having to re-submit it as a "new" pattern with new copy protection and a new license number?

Since the pattern is mine, I assume I could download it and edit it. The copy protection would remain imbedded in it I think. I would have a changed pattern with exactly the same copy protection as the original had. If the pattern file was now used to replace the old pattern in the depot, no one would be any wiser to the change. A user who had purchased the pattern before could still download it again without the need for a new license. If the change was only for the benefit of new users or software versions, no users would even need to be contacted as to the change. (They could all be sent an email indicating that there has been an update, but, they would not need to be subjected to the hassle of a new license.)

It seems to me that we should be able to implement a system like this to simplify the problem of edits and updates.

What do you think? Does anybody read this stuff?
  2. cestout
    cestout
    I have had to fix projects, but not patterns. For the projects I just email the updated files to be added with an _2 added to the name. The old version must remain for 1.187 users. The problem was the Floor Feather needed to be unchecked. Also an edited version of the tutorial was needed.
    Clint