New to Start U Team - Any Avice to share

1. chief2007
    chief2007
    Made the big step and joined the Start U Team - Any advice you all can share?
  2. fwharris
    fwharris
    Welcome to the team Chief (steve? right?)

First step is get familiar with the ordering system, not to hard to figure out but a bit of a learning curve like anything else. Stay in GOOD contact with Lori and Connie, if ever I have had any questions they are just a phone call away. Get your sales reports in at the start of each month ! Be willing to give free demos at either your shop or take the system to them. Best at your place so they can see your set up and get a better idea of what they will need for their set up.. Good luck and ASK IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS...
  3. chief2007
    chief2007
    Thanks much - I have access to the back office, but still haven't gotten access to the Start U Area, Connie knows and is trying to get it fix, so waiting for now, My wife and I have a booth at a Trade Days every month, several people are interested, and I am working to have a display there with a machine and all the carvings I sell as examples, plus my portfolio.

Any forms I need to keep on hand taht I can;t get to yet?

Steve
  4. fwharris
    fwharris
    Sounds like a good oportunity. Keep on hand your pricing lists (long one) and special price offers, order forms, contact info for Joe, Connie and Lori along with your own reference material. Also see if you can get some product pamphlets from lhr.. Great to hand out with your card..
  5. Capt Bruce
    Capt Bruce
    Welcome to the Team Chief,

Floyd is advising you well and I'm sure active members of Start U will be able to offer their well proven methods of generating leads. The referral system run by LHR will be one of your most valuable sources and if you get a chance to work a Woodworking Show grab it. Nothing like being able to demo the machine in operation along with materials you've carved. We all wish you success.
    Bruce
  6. cestout
    cestout
    So far I have only had one person at a time (once with wife who understood more than him) for my sessions. Mot by choice, but I think that works best. You can consentrate on that persons needs and questions. I use my shell box (posted on the forum) for the demonstration because it is two sided and uses both carving and cutting bits.
    Clint
  7. Alan Malmstrom
    Alan Malmstrom
    I got an email from CarveWright that there is a guy who wants training in my area about maybe 30 miles away. I plan on writing email to see what kind of stuff he wants to do with his machine and get to know him a bit.

But I'm wondering what I should charge for a training session like if I go over to his house after I find out what he wants to make. Any suggestions?

Alan
  8. fwharris
    fwharris
    Alan,
    Yes get specifics of what things he is looking for in training. It is good to know if he is starting from the begining or just having problems with certain features. Find out how long he has had his machine and what version.

The few that I have done I usually start out with looking at his carving set up area. See what carvings he has done and what issues if any he had with those. Give the machine a good inspection to identify and cleaning and maintenance issues. Take your lubrication materials to show what you use and find out what he is using.

I usually quote $55-$65 for a 4 hour session depending on distance.
  9. Alan Malmstrom
    Alan Malmstrom
    Well thats what I was thinking. About $15 an hour. Of coarse I'd help out over email too.

Thanks, Alan
  10. fwharris
    fwharris
    Alan,

Yes good idea to always offer additional support being either email or phone.