PatternDepot

1. lynnfrwd
    lynnfrwd
    I am trying to better organize the PatternDepot, but I need some help from you guys. I have a long way to go with so many patterns, but I'm working on a little bit each day.

1. Please do not use any spaces or other symbols in the beginning of the naming structure of your pattern in order to get it placed at the beginning of the list.

2. Numbers should only be used if they are descriptive to the pattern and preferred after generic name. You can add a number that is specific to your patterns, but please put it at the end of the name.

3. Preferred naming structure - "Frame with stars and stripes" or "Car - '65 Chevy" (generic first and then descriptive).

4. Only put key words in that relate to that pattern. We want the search feature to not be convoluted with things that don't apply. We don't want to see a football, when we search for cat.

5. Suggestion add your vendor name to keyword search and link to vendor page in pattern description.

Thanks!
  2. buffybuttons
    buffybuttons
    Thanks for starting a reorganization that is long overdue. I will follow the pattern naming tips listed above. I have several suggestions and ideas that I feel would greatly improve the pattern depot.
    1) a category placed in with the other categories that lists all new patterns from the past month or two. when a pattern gets older than that it should be removed from the new pattern area but left in the other categories to make room for the newest patterns.
    2) a new multi thumbnail face for the pattern depot . the vendor pages are much better and faster to browse through with 50 thumbnails per page. I know that there are 4000 patterns but i have only seen a fraction of them because it takes too long to browse at 10 patterns a page. A multi thumbnail slideshow option would be nice as well giving the user control over the speed of a pattern display movie.
  3. buffybuttons
    buffybuttons
    3) A smarter search engine. I have noticed that some of my patterns show up in multiple categories eventhough i never put them in there.My cross shows up under cat for some reason.
    4) I have noticed quite a few patterns for sale that are of questionable copyright status. Our legitimate sculpture of hummingbirds took over a month to sculpt and it is not fair to us or other vendors who do not steal via scanning copywrighted works to allow this cheating to continue to go on.
    5) We would like to be able to see pattern sales numbers as they happen like in the past. I understand that there was some inaccuracy due to cancelled sales but it was still very nice to have some instant idea of what sold without having to wait a month.
    The vendor name link by the patterns is a great idea. I think you are taking the pattern depot in the right direction and i look forward to further reorganization.
  4. lynnfrwd
    lynnfrwd
    Buffy - thanks for the suggestions. We will take all of them under consideration and implement those we can. We are limited on our resources and my skill level with programming some of this stuff. The ones that will get done first or those that are easiest to implement.

1. New patterns are listed in both the Forum & CarveWright Corner - your suggestion may take some serious reprogramming.
    2. Just changed from 10 products per page to 20 products per page. (that was easy! - slideshow; not so easy)
    3. Looks for letters Cat also gets catholic; didn't pull up cross for my search
    4. I agree with the copyright issue, but enforcing it may be difficult for us to verify.
    5. Have to get with accounting on this one. Not sure of reason for stopping.

Yes, thanks to OMAR for the vendor links. Also getting our categories back up on the pattern depot!!
  5. badger
    badger
    #5 asked accounting that last year and answer was they have no plans to start it up again.

I too wish they would have since I used that as a tool to see what was selling and what wasnt. It can still be done just have to wait fo the sheet each month.
  6. rlane10347
    rlane10347
    I also think this is going in the right direction. I will also go with your naming suggestions. Good Ideas.
  7. lynnfrwd
    lynnfrwd
    Just a friendly reminder to keep following these guidelines. Most everyone has done an excellent job, since we made the request. I know we still have not changed all of the ones that start with numbers, but it got very tedious and we got very busy! ("We" being "I" and then "We" became Alex and I. He's tired of it now too!)

**Also, check that your pattern has not already been submitted by someone else.

I know I shouldn't say anything, but Robert is working on a new platform for searching & displaying patterns. It may take a few months before it is fully realized. Pattern submittal and approval won't change any time soon.
  8. cestout
    cestout
    Can you fix those page selection boxes. They haven't looked like boxes in a loooong time.
    Thanks
    Clint