The Woodworking Shows

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. fwharris
    fwharris
    Joe,
    Thanks for the updated info and answered questions! Seems to be right on from our discussion on the phone. I will be looking into the smart phone or mobile broadband device as a source but just might rely on Lori for placing any orders.

Just thinking about previous events:
    At precious events that I attended to see the CW and the reps, there were discount coupons (with special codes) for customers to use. Will this be done again?

I also think there were some accessories (bits, bit sets, scanning probe and etc) available for purchase at the shows. Any possibility of that as well?

YOU DO HAVE ME DOWN FOR THE DENVER SHOW, RIGHT?
  2. LittleRedWoodshop
    LittleRedWoodshop
    Joe, thanks for the answers
  3. cestout
    cestout
    Joe,
    Thanks; that answers of my questions. I assume you will fill us in more on the hows and details before each show - mine being the last week in Oct.
    Clint
  4. cestout
    cestout
    Is LHR going to make arrangements for the booths? When do we get more info on the show we committed to? Mine is a month and a few days away (LA Fairgrounds in Pomona - bldg 9 from their web site)Clint
  5. jlovchik
    jlovchik
    Ok, some more information.
    I will be booking these shows for 10x10 booths, tables, chairs, and electrical. We will be supplying STARTU members with banners and brochures. We may be able to send a few samples as well to fill in where you are lacking examples. Mostly the samples will be your responsibility from your own work. You will also need to bring your own computer to show the software in action.

The shows are pretty straight forward. You arrive, locate your booth, setup, and then start carving. People will come to you and see what you are doing and ask questions. Share your enthusiasm about the machine and the sales will hopefully roll in.Often you will find yourself surrounded by many people asking questions or watching a demo. Try to speak loudly and address as many of the people as you can. If possible, bring a friend or someone to assist you in taking orders and stuff so your time can be used doing demos. We usually do very short carving projects, such a shell with filigrees on either side. You can stop often so you can talk to people and use your finished projects and photos to show off what the machine can do. We have always found the best sales approach is to just carve, answer questions, and have fun. You'll meet a lot of great and interesting people.

Promote your classes and users groups if you have them. One of the things you will find at these shows is customers who already have a machine, but have struggled with it or never really learned to use it. This is a great place to promote scheduled classes, so be sure to have something scheduled to tell these people about. This way you can make money on both new customers as well as the existing ones.

Make some business cards or something to give to people who may want to purchase or take classes later. You want to make sure they can find you again.

Taking orders can be done in a couple ways. The easiest will be to have internet access, either through your phone or another device. This way you can access the point of sale and place the orders. If you don't have access to the internet, you can take the orders by writing down the information and placing them when you do have internet access. We will have phone numbers available for technical assistance and we could also take orders, but we would prefer you use the other two options above if you can.

I'm sure there will be more questions, but this should help answer most.

Thanks,
    Joe
  6. jlovchik
    jlovchik
    Below if the schedule I have below. Some people have been inserted in as pending with question marks. Let us know if you would be interested in these shows.

2011-2012 SEASON SCHEDULE

Dallas, TX Oct 21-23 Jerry Barrera? pending

Southern CA Oct 28-30 Clint Stoutenberg confirmed

Sacramento, CA Nov 4-6 Clint Stoutenberg? pending

Portland, OR Nov 11-13 Terry Thompson? pending

Denver, CO Nov 18-20 Floyd Harris confirmed

Chicago, IL Nov 25-27 Jason Allen? pending

Baltimore, MD Jan 6-8 Jason Allen? pending

New England, MA Jan 13-15 Joe Szegda? pending

Indianapolis, IN Jan 20-22 Jason Allen confirmed

Kansas City, KS Jan 27-29 Jason Allen? pending

Columbus, OH Feb 3-5 Jason Allen confirmed

St.Louis, MO Feb 10-12 Jason Allen confirmed

Milwaukee, WI Feb 17-19 Jason Allen? Roger Tierman? pending

Somerset, NJ Feb 24-26 Joe Szegda? pending

Fredericksburg,VA Mar 2-4 Jason Allen pending

Atlanta, GA Mar 9-11 Jason Allen, Bruce Kinney?, Michael Tyler? pending

Tampa, FL Mar 16-18 Joe Ragsdale? pending

Charlotte, NC TBD Jason Allen confirmed

Houston, TX TBD Perry Bonin?, Robert Dages?, Robert Briggs? pending
  7. lynnfrwd
    lynnfrwd
    Also, we will have show pricing specials available.
  8. fwharris
    fwharris
    Thanks for the update Connie!

Once our shows are booked will we be getting specific info about the event facilities like set up times, accomodations for moving equipment, passes and such? to name a few?
  9. cestout
    cestout
    Thanks for the info, and I second the questons fwharris has - and I am next up! I ain't ever done anything like this before and not knowing where I am going makes me nervious.
    Clint
  10. mtylerfl
    mtylerfl
    A suggestion that might be kind of neat for you and your customers (at shows or otherwise), is to create a professional-looking photo book of your projects. My wife created a CarveBuddy Project Book for me to take to a conference I'm attending in Las Vegas Oct. 13-16.

The book was composed/built entirely online at shutterfly.com. Pricing varies depending on size and number of pages. This particular book was about $30 normally, but my wife had coupons for free shipping and a 50% off because she has ordered a few books from them before (get on their email list...I'm sure they will send you special offers from time to time).

Anyway, this book (8.5" x 11" hardcover with 23 pages) only cost $16 after the discounts were applied. This is a terrific way to easily show clients your projects. Create new books as needed. I entered a date range as part of the title/description on the book so I know where to start from when it's time to make another book in the "series".

I uploaded the book to a website that Shutterfly allows anyone to create for free. You can view my book online by visiting the following URL if you want to see an example of what we did...

http://carvebuddybooks.shutterfly.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast