Class size

1. TerryT
    TerryT
    Ok, I know we all have different styles for teaching our classes. I like to have everyone follow along as I demonstrate on the computer with a second, larger, monitor to insure everyone can see what I am doing. Then towards the end of the day (one or two) students get hands on design and layout and get to actually create and carve a small sign or plaque. Most of my full day training classes have been with one or two people. This last one was four students. Although it went exceptionally well, I think four is too many. At least for the way I like to teach the class.

Maybe we could all take turns explaining what (how) we teach our classes. I am certainly open to new ideas.
  2. fwharris
    fwharris
    Terry,

I've only done one training session with 2 people, husband and wife. The wife did the designing and hubby did the carving and finishing. I think in order to do real hands on, like you are doing, 1 - 2 would be optimal for being able to be available to assist and coach each one and not having the others waiting for their turn. Did each of the 4 have their own computers (lap tops) to work with our were they all sharing yours?

In my session they were having issues with the design layout size to actually carved board size to go along with doing basic design features. A disconnect between designer and carver you might say.
  3. skeeterman
    skeeterman
    I too have only had one training session, and it was a husband and wife team, she was more into the designer software and he was more in tune with the machine itself. what started out being a 4 hr session turned into around 8hrs.
    steve
  4. TerryT
    TerryT
    Floyd,
    Nope, only my laptop. I have two monitors setup so everyone can see what is happening. I wonder if LHR would grant additional software licenses so we could have two or three or four computers going during a class?

Ok guys, lets do some shareing. What handouts do you give if any? Do you start with the Power Point presentation that we got from LHR? Or do you even use it? Any ideas at all are well worth sharing.
  5. Capt Bruce
    Capt Bruce
    Hi CWU Team,

I start off with a slide show in Picassa that illustrates the range of carvings I've done both to introduce myself and give some idea starters on techniques used and the capabilities of the CarveWright. This also helps bring out what folks have already learned or done with their unit. This way I also learn where to tailor the session to their learning curve throughout the day or half day. Several half day sessions have lead to a second paid session when they go home and try the basics that raise even more questions about the next steps.

Then I follow the course of designing a project in Designer by way of incorporating their machine/software set-up at present and hopefully their project type at this stage. Ask them to bring along either an MPC or sketches of what they wish to make so it's all about their desires. By the end of the day I want them to take home a physical carving.

Break time and handle some current pieces to keep it real rather than all theoretical.

Review of available sources for designs. (insert scanning if they have the probe and software). Briefly touch upon aftermarket software for design.

Now to the machine (mine or theirs). Set-up, room layout to clear long boards, hearing protection (I provide), rollers, need for a dedicated circuit, dust collection etc. Be ready for bit changes. Maintenance needs as a part of daily carving (you change the oil in your car don't you?). Wood selection, tape on edges, carriers and jigs for minimum waste. Accessory shop equipment if available and work-arounds if not available.

Let's carve their project we've designed (even just a simple Welcome sign with their names). I try to limit the total carve to about two hours. It obviously becomes difficult to talk and hear when the machine and DC is running. When they have seen the CW running enough to get the feeling, it's a good time to leave the shop for a lunch break. I know enough about my client at this point to bring up accessories they may wish to purchase and these can be discussed as pros and cons based on what they wish to make in the future. Don't press for the sale right now, just plant ideas and keep notes. Premade sandwich assortment and as everywhere in the South lots of sweet ice tea/Coke.

With the carve completed demonstrate clean up of the fuzzies, basic sanding and cut off/edge routing etc.

Discuss some finishing techniques, but I do not demonstrate same. Rather let the client do this at home later to really feel ownership of the process having seen finished examples and recommended materials and techniques. It's all about them. I'm a stainer, they may be painters.

Finally allow lots of time for their questions after they have been through the process even with this limited demonstration. This is also the right time to inquire about follow through sales if any. I offer basic telephone support for 10 days (roughly) so they have a lifeline after the session.

I hope this gives an insight to my system so far and I'm looking to incorporate better ideas you can all offer. Thanks
  6. Capt Bruce
    Capt Bruce
    Hello again fellow CW Start U members,

One more point I did not list above, if you show folks where good demo's and Tips are on the web, vendor sites like CW or our Forum. While you have the site open in IE or another browser, copy the URL of the site and paste it to a Word document. It will be on their machine if working at their home, or from your own you can email the collection to them later. It's too complicated to write these all down at the time but it helps reinforce your sharing of knowledge and professionalism in Start U. Happy teaching.
    Bruce
  7. TerryT
    TerryT
    Capt Bruce, that's great. Thanks. I think some of the little things are very important. Like you, I provide hearing protection for everone. Coffee and doughnuts in the morning. ( I know, I know but I'm an ex cop.) Ice cold water, soda (pop) and coffee all day.

You know they won't remember everything when they get home so the phone support is very important also. I also tell them they can come back and sit through another class for free if they feel they need it. I have hand outs printed up and in a (inexpensive) three ring binder plus a CD with some patterns and the six training projects that LHR provides.

I also print up some brochures listing all services I do and all of the Carvewright products I sell, etc.
  8. Capt Bruce
    Capt Bruce
    Those are great additions as well Terry,

I'd like to incorporate the binder idea, where now I'm just handing out an agenda for the day on clipboards so they can take notes there if they wish. I think a binder would work better and the cost is minimal. Had not thought about the CarveWright project tutorials so those can go in as well. Keep up the great ideas.
  9. chebytrk
    chebytrk
    Sounds great. Has anyone added anymore to the existing LHR presentations we were provided at the Conference?
  10. TerryT
    TerryT
    Capt Bruce,
    Staples had the cardboard type three hole binders with side pockets for 25 cents. I picked up a bunch. Add your handouts and some blank note paper and you're set.