What tools Do you currently Use in your Shop?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. badger
    badger
    Discuss what tools are neccessary for a beginner.
  2. badger
    badger
    Currently Using the Jet 14" Bandsaw, CW, Jet 3/4hp dust collection system, Jet 10" combo planner/jointer, Jet Drill Press and a cheap Hitachi Table Saw.

Looking to upgrade the table saw, any suggestions on a tight budget? Also have a 6 inch riser kit for the bandsaw, was looking to resaw some wood. Anyone done any resawing?
  3. lynnfrwd
    lynnfrwd
    We have every kind of tool imaginable. Enough to fit inside a 40' x 60' barn, but all crammed into our little two car garage. Any time we want to do something we have to haul it out into the drive way. Then all of our neighbors want to get us to do projects for them.
  4. RogerB
    RogerB
    It's nice to have the toys. Have the King Canada tools in a one car garage . Running out of room .Also have the use of 8' stroke sander . Saving for a small panel sander.
  5. cestout
    cestout
    The tools I think are needed to make the best use of the CarveWright are: Table saw, Miter saw, Jointer, thickness plainer, Drill press for the double mops -180 & 220 grits, a Ridged oscillating belt/drum sander, Dremmel (or the like) rotary tool, Dremmel contour sander, quarter sheet pad sander, dust collector and good shop vac, air compressor, and a band saw is nice but not a requirement. I have these and more stuffed into the two car side of a three car garage. I needed all this because we built our own home and did the cabinet work.
    Clint
  6. badger
    badger
    Just picked up my new sprayer (First one) Earlex 5500 and new router table (first one). Kreg table with Porter Cable 3 1/4 hp motor, the woodpecker sidewinder with power switch and Kreg table fence.

finished the court room bench that had been hanging around our Sheriff's Office for probably the last 100 years. Its been pissed on, bled on, thrown up on, slept on and worn to death with scraping handcuffs. Had to replace about 6 of the splines in the back and put the stagecoach on the top. New got a chance to use my new sprayer and it worked like a charm. Made the whole finishing project go so much smoother.

Used the General Finish-Rosewood and GF-Enduro Urethane,Gloss
  7. cestout
    cestout
    On space: I built my 3 car size garage with 2 single car doors and a with windowed wall deviding my wife's garage (1 car space) from my shop. The shop was the first part of the house we finished because we needed it to finish building the house. It is a little crowded, but workable. However I am getting old and extension cords keep reaching out and grabbing my feet>
    On re-sawing: I have, for the inserts in my kitchen cabinet doors. My Ridged 14" band saw will take a 5/8 blade. You do need a thickness plainer to complete the job.
    On newbie tools: A good redial arm saw (to save space and money) or a table saw and sliding miter saw are needed. A simple router table, a Dimmel( or the like) rotary tool, various sanders, and s lite drill driver would get them started.
    Clint
  8. Ninette
    Ninette
    If I were to look on Kijiji or any other buy/sell site, what should I 'watch out for' when buy ing a jointer/ thickness planer? I noticed some are expensive and then there were some that seemed too low in price that kind of made me wary. I guess what I'm asking is there anything obviously indicative of 'a piece o'junk' that I should look for.
    Thanks
    Ninette
  9. cestout
    cestout
    I have not looked int combination thickness and joiner planes. Personally I don't like combination tools like that because you is compromise (not really a dirty word, just not desirable in this case).To go with your CarveWright, and for not to large woodworking and cabinet work I like Ridged and Craftsman tools. They are priced competitively and good quality. A bench top joiner will not last. Get a 6" floor model. For the thickness planer it must be 4 post and 3 blades, 12" minimum, but try for a 13". Use your dust collector on both. They really crank out the chips - not flour like the CarveWright.
    Clint
  10. cestout
    cestout
    I have not looked int combination thickness and joiner planes. Personally I don't like combination tools like that because there is compromise (not really a dirty word, just not desirable in this case). To go with your CarveWright, and for not to large woodworking and cabinet work I like Ridged and Craftsman tools. They are priced competitively and good quality. A bench top joiner will not last. Get a 6" floor model. For the thickness planer it must be 4 post and 3 blades, 12" minimum, but try for a 13". Use your dust collector on both. They really crank out the chips - not flour like the CarveWright.
    Clint
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast