PDA

View Full Version : Just saying hello

William A. Rose
01-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Hello folks. I'm brand new to the Forum. I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a Carvewright machine. From the research I have done, I find the machine very interesting and see a lot of possibilities. I'm a disabled veteran and this would give me something to do and maybe even make a dollar or two along the way.

I do have one question: In my search for the cheapest deal I can find, I have come across what appeat to be model numbers. They are N01 and R01. What is the newest model number? Also, what identifying features should I look for when trying to find the most recent version of the machine?

Thanks,

Bill Rose

Dan-Woodman
01-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Welcome Bill
Mines an AX# I'm not sure how the letters go. I've got an older model. Ifyour looking for a new one , Littlredwoodshop.com I hear is a good place. Lowe's also has them for $1798.and will ship to store nearest you.
later Daniel

jcorder
01-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Welcome to the forum! You will not be disappointed in your purchase, it is a great machine. As Dan said, littleredwoodshop I would say in the place to buy. He is a regular here and he has great prices. Plus you can call and ask him questions and he will help you out. He has the best prices I have found on the machine, bit set and probe. Here is a link to his website:
http://www.littleredwoodshop.com/240801/index.html

Good luck and if you need anything, just come to the forum and ask, it is a great bunch of people here and there is a ton of knowledge about the machine.

Jeff

Dan-Woodman
01-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Also use the search feature at the top of the page with" "
later Daniel

LittleRedWoodshop
01-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks for all the great promos guys. You can find my store at Store.LittleRedWoodshop.com (http://www.store.littleredwoodshop.com/) and yes you can call any time with questions.

William A. Rose
01-12-2009, 07:25 PM
I appreciate the reception from those that responded. If I can ever acquire one of these machines, I think I will have a lot of fun and also be able to make some nice things for some people.

I've been wondering how a person would make something wider than the max 14.5" the machine is capable of. I have in mind an entry door. Probably 36-40" wide. I think it would be pretty wild to have the whole thing carved with some cool designs.

I suppose to join the boards, I'd use dowels and glue it and crunch it real good. I'm also considering some kind of box jointing for the seams - though I know nothing about such things. I know what dovetails look like. That's not what I have in mind. I don't know what kind of joint or basic structure would be strongest.

Because I know next to nothing about this machine's capabilities and general woodworking/carpentry, I get to imagine all sorts of things that may or may not be possible. The sky's the limit!

Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated.

jerrbitt
01-13-2009, 11:03 AM
I presume you are talking about joining boards on edge. Dowels will work but very painstaking work. Depending upon the application, what the boards are going to be used for, you can simply glue them together. If they are going to be subject to some stress, I would use biscuits. Of course you need a biscuit cutter -- A $100 + investment.

For many of the plaques I carve, I simply make sure I have two good matching edges, square, and just glue and clamp.

You can get valuable information on woodworking on another forum

http://www.sawmmillcreek.org

Rick P
01-13-2009, 12:04 PM
To William A. Rose ...
I bought my CW from The Little Red Woodshop and I heartily recommend you consider them. I have been woodworking as a hobby for many years and I had and have many CW questions. From the sounds of your posted questions you have just a little woodworking experience. If you buy from Lowes or Amazon or Sears you will not be able to ask them questions. It will be very helpful for you to learn the woodworking basics along with your CW learning. Take it slow and be safe....SAFE !!!
Rick P.

cnsranch
01-13-2009, 12:11 PM
William -

First of all, there are some posts with good pics of those that have made signs that are larger than 14.5" wide - search and find for more info.

Regarding doors, if you were to build a typical door, say one with 4 or 6 raised panels, you could certainly run the rails and stiles and panels thru the machine, then glue them up for the finished product.

The machine is tailor-made for that type of project, and would turn out stunning work.

RBeau1954
01-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Hello from another Hoosier. I am up in Indy, and I hear that Carvewright will be at the Woodworking show the end of this month so it would be a good time to take a look at it. I will be going to the show Friday for a little while but will be working the rest of the weekend. I work part time at Woodcraft, it is the only way I can afford this hobby. If your up this way stop in and chat.

Rick

bjbethke
01-13-2009, 12:37 PM
I appreciate the reception from those that responded. If I can ever acquire one of these machines, I think I will have a lot of fun and also be able to make some nice things for some people.

I've been wondering how a person would make something wider than the max 14.5" the machine is capable of. I have in mind an entry door. Probably 36-40" wide. I think it would be pretty wild to have the whole thing carved with some cool designs.

I suppose to join the boards, I'd use dowels and glue it and crunch it real good. I'm also considering some kind of box jointing for the seams - though I know nothing about such things. I know what dovetails look like. That's not what I have in mind. I don't know what kind of joint or basic structure would be strongest.

Because I know next to nothing about this machine's capabilities and general woodworking/carpentry, I get to imagine all sorts of things that may or may not be possible. The sky's the limit!

Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated.
The CW machine would not be the best equipment to make Entry Doors. The best equipment would be a Shaper; it could be done with a table mounted router. For the door to hold together you would need to make it with Stiles, Rails and panels. You could use the CW machine to carve designs on the stiles, rails and the panels, and the panels could be less than 14.5 inches wide. Panel carved doors look great.

William A. Rose
01-13-2009, 04:39 PM
I surely will! Didn't know anything about a show. Gimme the details please! and thanks.

Hello from another Hoosier. I am up in Indy, and I hear that Carvewright will be at the Woodworking show the end of this month so it would be a good time to take a look at it. I will be going to the show Friday for a little while but will be working the rest of the weekend. I work part time at Woodcraft, it is the only way I can afford this hobby. If your up this way stop in and chat.

Rick

William A. Rose
01-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the reply! I sure don't like to come across as unknowledgeable, but that's what I am. I have no idea other than my imagination as to how I would go about doing this.

You lost me at rails, stiles. I guess the panels would be the part I carve in the machine.

Of course, I will have to get a machine. Hehe. Time will tell.

Thanks again!

Is it possible to cut a pattern that would extend across the face of more than one board and ever hope to get the boards lined up correctly. I'd think it is. I envision using 2x6s or 2x12s (nice and good and straight and flat and perfect), rip the edges so they are not rounded off and then go at it!

William -

First of all, there are some posts with good pics of those that have made signs that are larger than 14.5" wide - search and find for more info.

Regarding doors, if you were to build a typical door, say one with 4 or 6 raised panels, you could certainly run the rails and stiles and panels thru the machine, then glue them up for the finished product.

The machine is tailor-made for that type of project, and would turn out stunning work.

RBeau1954
01-13-2009, 05:28 PM
The woodworking show is the weekend of Fri. the 30th thru the first of Feb at the State Fair grounds. Carvewright says they're having a booth there. I just got my schedule for that weekend and I work the whole weekend at Woodcraft but I get off at 2 on Fri. so I may run down there and check it out. If you do decide to come up, let me know and we can get together and I can show you the machine and some of the projects. Send me a PM if you want to get together.

Rick

Kenm810
01-13-2009, 05:49 PM
I was at the Show when it was here in Michigan last month, and really enjoyed it.
Lots to see, learn and of course to buy, also a chance to meet a couple really nice guys from LHR.

Heres a little Info to read about the show near you this Month.
The Woodworking Shows (http://cms.thewoodworkingshows.com/cms/Shows/IndianapolisINJan30Feb1/tabid/80/Default.aspx)Indianapolis, IN
IN State FairgroundsJan 30- Feb 01