PDA

View Full Version : Substitute 1/4 straight bit for 1/4 ball nose

behold
01-11-2009, 04:31 PM
I need to route a 1/4" path with a straight bit similar to using a ballnose. It is a rather long route that would take a considerable amount of time to cut using the carving bit. Since the software doesn't have a 1/4" straight option, can I substitute a straight bit for the ballnose without damaging anything?

Thanks in advance.

DocWheeler
01-11-2009, 04:55 PM
behold,

Welcome!
I think that you would be fine.
If you were concerned that it would be more stress on the machine than you wanted, you could tell Designer it was a 3/8" bit (but actually use the 1/4" bit).
You also have the option of telling it how deep each "stroke" should be if you made multiple passes (probably not a good idea, and I've never done that).

bjbethke
01-11-2009, 05:53 PM
I need to route a 1/4" path with a straight bit similar to using a ballnose. It is a rather long route that would take a considerable amount of time to cut using the carving bit. Since the software doesn't have a 1/4" straight option, can I substitute a straight bit for the ballnose without damaging anything?

Thanks in advance.
Substitute 1/4 straight bit for 1/4 ball nose

I use a 1/4th inch up-cut spiral bit; the ball nose function works great. I also use a 1/2 inch plunge type straight bit.

If you use straight bits make sure they are the plunge-cutting type. All bits used in the CW unit needs to be plunge bits

http://pricecutter.com/plunge-cutting-straight-bits/p/P11-1113/

behold
01-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Thank you both for the info. I could use either option and it would probably work just fine.

bjbethke,

I do have a 1/4" plunge bit. So, that won't be an issue. What depth did you set the quicklock at? Did you set it up as the 1/4" ball nose or did you set it at the standard 1/8" from the collar? I'm assuming it's the latter, but I thought I should ask just in case.

Thanks again!

bjbethke
01-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Thank you both for the info. I could use either option and it would probably work just fine.

bjbethke,

I do have a 1/4" plunge bit. So, that won't be an issue. What depth did you set the quicklock at? Did you set it up as the 1/4" ball nose or did you set it at the standard 1/8" from the collar? I'm assuming it's the latter, but I thought I should ask just in case.

Thanks again!
I use a 1/4th inch up-cut spiral bit, and set it at the standard 1/8" bit length. If your 1/4" plunge bit is a straight bit, on deep cuts you may need to take multiple pass to get rid of the chip load. I don’t like to make passes greater than the width of the bit. It should work great at .250 on each pass.

behold
01-23-2009, 08:26 PM
My route is only a 1/4" deep. So, I should be able to make it in a single pass. I'll try it on a scrap piece just to make sure.

Thank you again for all the information!