PDA

View Full Version : 1st carve w/1.132 & signfoam

roughcut
01-10-2009, 07:19 PM
My first carve with 1.132 and using one of the free samples of sign foam.
The carve turned out better than anything I have carved . The only thing I didn't do was set the depth and height correctly .So Now I am going to make myself a check list of things I should
check before I upload my mpc to the flash card. But I sure like the optimal setting.
another thing I learned not to do is use 2 sided carpet tape as you can see I had to destroy the carving to get it loose from the sled. I'm posting a picture of the way it should have been and one of what I wound up with. Remember I am living in a very dysfunctional home."It's just my dog Willow and me"

Kenm810
01-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Nice Job, Looks Great

SignFoam is fun to carve and the detail can be really amazing!
So can the fine foam dust it generates, it sticks to everything,
I think after I clean the machine, I've got more stuck on me than on the project http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

mtylerfl
01-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Hello roughcut,

I actually really like the irregular edge of the piece - gives it a very nice rustic, freeform look! The carve is beautiful and the rough edges give it a lot more character than plain square edges anyway!

jcorder
01-10-2009, 09:25 PM
My first carve with 1.132 and using one of the free samples of sign foam.
The carve turned out better than anything I have carved . The only thing I didn't do was set the depth and height correctly .So Now I am going to make myself a check list of things I should
check before I upload my mpc to the flash card. But I sure like the optimal setting.
another thing I learned not to do is use 2 sided carpet tape as you can see I had to destroy the carving to get it loose from the sled. I'm posting a picture of the way it should have been and one of what I wound up with. Remember I am living in a very dysfunctional home."It's just my dog Willow and me"

I just received my samples yesterday, I can't wait to try some carving on them. They look great!

Jeff

SharonB
01-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Roughcut... I agree with Michael...I really like the rough edges. Bet it would really look nice on in corian. Where did you get the bears up the tree? I hope it is available in the store as it is one that I would like to add to my collection. SharonB

CraigBrownDesigns
01-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Recently received my samples and then visited the local supplier. Can't wait to try a full size piece. Looks like the CW works the HUD nicely if that carve is any indication! I've been combing over the information booklet they sent along with the 3 densities of Sign Foam 3. Excited about making my next exterior sign using it.
They mention there's a book by author Michael Bloomquist who wrote the Sign Foam How to Handbook, "Mastering the Art of Dimensional Sign Making". I'll have to pick up a copy.

roughcut
01-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Roughcut... I agree with Michael...I really like the rough edges. Bet it would really look nice on in corian. Where did you get the bears up the tree? I hope it is available in the store as it is one that I would like to add to my collection. SharonB

Sharon
The pattern is a 12 hour scan I made of a piece I picked up at the good will store I may post it later .

SharonB
01-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Roughcut ... Will look forward to seeing it in the pattern department. Good wildlife patterns are always nice to have to have on hand. SharonB