PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Bits

7777david
01-10-2009, 05:37 PM
I have been trying to carve two of the purchased projects. This should be simple since since everything is already there. I follow all of the instructions - Load the 1/8' bit then load the 1/16 bit and it goes into the carving mode and then it request that the 1/8" bit to be inserted to cut out the pattern. This is where the problem starts. After several seconds and cutting about 1" the bit breaks. This has happened 4 times in a row.

Previously every worked fine and then it started to break the bits. I made sure that all instructions were followed. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Some additional information - In a matter of seconds the cutting bit is down and the wood pushes against it and it snapsoff. I have no problems with the carving bit. I have 55 hour so far with little to show for it.

Thanks for the input so far.

David

DocWheeler
01-10-2009, 05:56 PM
7777david,

My first thought (really the only one so far) is that your head pressure is too light and the board is moving and causing the bit to bind.
Just a thought! Use some scales and check it.

Tell us what the solution is when you get it.

HighTechOkie
01-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Inspect the bit adapter for bb marks. Also check the truck (silver piece that rides along the Y axis) to see if it is loose. Check the four screws that hold the bearings to the truck.

Rob