PDA

View Full Version : Major issue, please help!!!

lostinthefrost
01-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Have a reman'd machine. I have put about 30 or so hours on it. I have been having some small problems off and on and I thought it was just a bit of newbieitus. Either way on the last few carvings I have heard an unusual noise that sounded like gears grinding from the flex shaft. It was very intermittant so I didnt think anything about it. This last time it got a bit worse. (Now keep in mind I am very anal about keeping my machine clean during usage). I was watching it start a basic carving, not too deep with the 1/16 bit, I heard the noise then all of the sudden it got worse and I saw the bit stop moving but the machine kept going. Emergency shut down commenced.

1. Do I need a new flex shaft or is the problem a lot worse?
2. Is there anything that I did wrong or could have done better?
Any help is very much appreciated.

pine acres woodshop
01-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Check to see if the flex shaft is in one piece and the ends have not rounded off, also make sure the shaft is seated in the motor housing, pull it out and push it back in twisting it a little bit you will feel it lock in, when you put it back on the z-truck side as you push down spin the QC you can tell when it catches. Hope this helps.
Mark

ChrisAlb
01-10-2009, 05:38 PM
When you say the "bit stopped moving", do you mean it stopped spinning or stopped moving in the Y or Z direction?

Check the spring inside the flex shaft sheath as well. If that goes bad it can make a heck of a racket.

lostinthefrost
01-10-2009, 06:07 PM
The bit appeared to stop spinning. It was all very similar to a drill that is stripping it's gears. You see it slow down and the bit stops but the motor keeps going.

Sorry to be particular, but is there anything that I need to take apart? I have the top cover off just to inspect

ChrisAlb
01-10-2009, 06:19 PM
If it stopped spinning I would follow what Mark said and pull the shaft core out and check the ends to make sure they are still square. If so, check the top of the spindle where the core goes in and be sure it didn't round out. If that's OK then it's on to the cut motor. You'll have to take the shaft sheath off at the motor and check the motor end to see if it rounded out.

When the bit stopped and the motor kept running, did the grinding noise go away? If so, it's likely one of the three I mentioned. If not, it might be the cut motor itself.

pine acres woodshop
01-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Pull the flexshaft cover out of the top of the z-truck and pull the flex shaft out of the sheath and inspect it. you don't need to take anything apart to do this. Then try reinstalling the flexshaft.
Mark

lostinthefrost
01-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Excellent. thanks for all of the help. I have to go help the wife for a bit for her party, then will attempt all of these suggestions. I will post my findings when I can.

lostinthefrost
01-10-2009, 09:05 PM
I havent pulled the shaft out to inspect it yet, but part of the cable has split open. I know it was extremely hot when I stopped the unit.

Everything sounded like it was coming from the motor side of things

Any ideas?

jcorder
01-10-2009, 09:11 PM
if the shaft was hot, it was not lubed enough and you have probably toasted it. You will most likely need to replace the flex shaft. Unfortunately, that is not something that is covered by CarveWright.

Good luck
Jeff

lostinthefrost
01-10-2009, 09:12 PM
That make sense. I have been looking for pics or points to read on care.

1. where would I get a new shaft from
2. where would I have lubed it?

pine acres woodshop
01-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Order a new flex shaft from Carvewright, I think it's about $75.00. As for the lube use Gunk chain lube with moly, if you do a search on lubrication, you will find instructions on how to lube and how often. Good luck.
Mark

lostinthefrost
01-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Check out these pics. This is all in response to my inspections having never lubed in my first 30 hours (I Know shame on me, beginners issues)

Is it done for? or you think its salvageable?

Pics in the link below. Is this considered rounded?

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1AYsmLNk3asnTw

jcorder
01-11-2009, 09:30 AM
you need to pull the shaft out of the sleeve and see what it looks like. If the shaft will not come out of the sleeve, that tells you it got hot enough to melt the sleeve to the shaft. If your sleeve has a hole melted in it, I would say you need a new shaft. I don't think the end is damaged, I think it is inside the sleeve.

Good luck
Jeff

lostinthefrost
01-11-2009, 09:35 AM
It slides in and out of the sleeve perfectly. It slips right out

What about the locking plastic part on the motor end? I should be able to get the cap back on it. but saw a bit of "glue" which looks like held it in place.

FiddlemakerMills
01-11-2009, 09:59 AM
I think you will have to replace the flex shaft assembly. Then lube the shaft before use.

Carl

jcorder
01-11-2009, 11:19 AM
I think it would be a good idea to give LHR a call and talk to the techs. They will be able to tell you what to check for sure and walk you through the process of making sure you get fixed what is broken.

Good luck
Jeff

pine acres woodshop
01-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Yea, that flexshaft looks like toast, The shaft itself I don't know about, but if you heard a grinding noise I would replace it.
Mark

liquidguitars
01-11-2009, 12:27 PM
The grinding noise could also be a loose Z pack pully belt..

Make sure the Z pack screws are not loose.

LG

lostinthefrost
01-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Shaft may be ok, but I ordered another to be safe. It's going to be in the single digits here in Illinois this week so nothing will get worked on. It seems that LHR is out of a lot of stuff, so there is some patience to be had. It's ok though.

Thanks again to all of those who put input in for me.

HelpBot3000
01-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah we're still recovering from the holidays, inventory-wise. We'll have that flexshaft out there before you know it. Good talking to you earlier.

Barry

lostinthefrost
01-12-2009, 10:38 AM
No problem. It's life. Thanks for all of the help

atauer
01-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Yeah we're still recovering from the holidays, inventory-wise. We'll have that flexshaft out there before you know it. Good talking to you earlier.

Barry

We were wiped out over the holidays. Getting it all back in due time.

Maybe we should act like squirrels and stock pile parts for the winter...

Hexe SA
01-13-2009, 02:46 PM
The bit appeared to stop spinning. It was all very similar to a drill that is stripping it's gears. You see it slow down and the bit stops but the motor keeps going.

Sorry to be particular, but is there anything that I need to take apart? I have the top cover off just to inspect

Had the same thing over christmas. Due to over heating or when pulling the flexshaft out of the head while warm it will stretch with time. The core does no longer make contact with the spindle. Pull your spring out and see if it is intact. A new Flexshaft is in order. No way too shorten it, plus if you have hot spots and splitting it will only get worse.
Eva