PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Eagle Clock

mtylerfl
01-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Hello,

Here are a couple photos of my Wilderness Eagle Clock project.

Wood: Select Pine
Dimensions: 15½" tall, 10" wide, and is 1½" thick
Finish:
1) Cabot Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner
2) Stain - Pecan (Cabot brand)
3) Clearcoat - Minwax Clear Satin water-based Polycrylic (3 coats)

I tried the Cabot products on this project and am very pleased. I was in Lowe's about a week ago and it just so happened the Valspar Rep (Valspar owns Cabot as well) was in the stain aisle and we got talking. I told him I normally use MinWax products, but after speaking with him, he convinced me to try the Cabot wood conditioner and stain.

He told me that Cabot stains are pigment-based as compared to MinWax which is dye-based. Both are fine, but after trying the Cabot, I really liked the coverage of their stain - seemed "more controllable" for some reason.

DocWheeler
01-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Michael,

That is beautiful!

geekviking
01-10-2009, 12:26 PM
VERY nice clock! Turned out excellent.

CraigBrownDesigns
01-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Well done! Flows nicely

Beerfaced
01-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Man I am impressed. Very, very nice work.

Rob

Kenm810
01-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Nice Design, Beautiful Detail and Finish
Truly a First Class Project!!

James RS
01-10-2009, 12:46 PM
That is fantastic, I'm in the process of making a clock for my mom.

Very nice

Lin
01-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Michael, This one I really like and hoping it will be the next POM. I'm thinking the area behind the trees, eagle and mountain should be cut out and a backer of maybe clear or colored plexi mirror might just add a bit of zest/richness to the appearance of this piece....Will it be the POM for Feb. ? Also....What is the size of the clock insert? Wildwood carries clock inserts that have an eagle on them...it might look nice with this clock...I think they have a wolf one also...see pic of a scrolled diamond eagle clock with red plexi mirror I did a few years ago below that has the eagle pic insert.
Crossing my finger that this is a POM project.
Lin

pine acres woodshop
01-10-2009, 12:51 PM
WOW! Outstanding.
Mark

mtylerfl
01-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Michael, This one I really like and hoping it will be the next POM. I'm thinking the area behind the trees, eagle and mountain should be cut out and a backer of maybe clear or colored plexi mirror might just add a bit of zest/richness to the appearance of this piece....Will it be the POM for Feb. ? Also....What is the size of the clock insert? Wildwood carries clock inserts that have an eagle on them...it might look nice with this clock...I think they have a wolf one also...see pic of a scrolled diamond eagle clock with red plexi mirror I did a few years ago below that has the eagle pic insert.
Crossing my finger that this is a POM project.
Lin

Hello Everyone, and Thank You for the nice comments!

Lin, yes, this is the next Project of the Month (dated for Jan 2009, actually). Nice idea for a mirror background! I might consider incorporating something like that in some future layouts.

The clock insert is from Klockit (model #15344) and is 5 7/8" diameter. The mounting hole is 3 1/4", which of course is already designed to fit perfectly in the project mpc's themselves that are included with the project.

I am in the process of designing clocks in various design series categories (I have a list of 20 different categories I am working with, thus far) that will be available as time goes on, but wanted to introduce the first in the Wilderness Series© to the Project of the Month Subscribers!

Thanks again for the encouraging feedback!

jpaluck
01-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Great looking project michael...love how you a bunch of ideas together

John

Eagle Hollow
01-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Michael,

That clock is to die for! Fantastic!

Rocky
01-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Very classy looking. Great carving.

b.sumner47
01-10-2009, 04:10 PM
I've got a spot on the wall that really could use that,Michael .Beautiful.
Thanks,Capt.Barry

Lin
01-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Michael, Something else to consider incorporating in a future clock, (or maybe just a stand alone shadow box style piece) would be one that is back lit. Maybe an area carved out that other separate carvings are placed into with a small nightlite in the background to show the carved pieces up...like a few small deer and trees...sorta layered out. Just more for you to think about...lol
Lin

liquidguitars
01-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Very nice job!

Lg

RayTrek
01-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Michael,
Another breath taking project, all of us here are very lucky to have some with your talents in the community.
Ray

Dan-Woodman
01-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Michael
Very nice clock. I have not had good luck with Cabot stains. The smell just drives my right out of the shop, and the door I was doing at the time was very large and started drying before I could get an even coat on all sections. Just my personnal thoughts.
later Daniel

mtylerfl
01-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks again, everybody, for the compliments and the suggestions!

Lin, thank you for the backlit/layered idea. Very creative, and would look really nice in a future clock design or applied in a shadowbox decorative item as you say.

Daniel, I didn't notice a particularly different or unusual odor with the Cabot stain that was any "worse" than other stains I've used over the years - but, I use cross-ventilation when staining (a fan positioned about 15 feet away to move air across the work area), so maybe I just missed it. I also didn't notice it drying any faster either when working with it (I let it dry overnight as usual before applying the clearcoat), but I've not tried it on a large surface such as a full-size door - - for that matter, I've never used Cabot stains at all until this project, so I'm certainly no expert about that brand!

Rocky
01-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Michael
Very nice clock. I have not had good luck with Cabot stains. The smell just drives my right out of the shop, and the door I was doing at the time was very large and started drying before I could get an even coat on all sections. Just my personnal thoughts.
later Daniel

Were you using a water based or oil based stain? Water based is more difficult to work with on large areas because it dries faster than oil based.

BBrooks
01-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Wow! That is a sharp looking clock.

Betty Woodall
01-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Absolutly awesome.. You did again Michael.... Love the work and the finish.. BW

fyrpuppy
01-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Can't wait

Dodadd
02-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Michael, I'm looking for the POM but can't find it.
Bill

Hello Everyone, and Thank You for the nice comments!

Lin, yes, this is the next Project of the Month (dated for Jan 2009, actually). Nice idea for a mirror background! I might consider incorporating something like that in some future layouts.

The clock insert is from Klockit (model #15344) and is 5 7/8" diameter. The mounting hole is 3 1/4", which of course is already designed to fit perfectly in the project mpc's themselves that are included with the project.

I am in the process of designing clocks in various design series categories (I have a list of 20 different categories I am working with, thus far) that will be available as time goes on, but wanted to introduce the first in the Wilderness Series© to the Project of the Month Subscribers!

Thanks again for the encouraging feedback!

Michael Anthony
02-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Some how I missed this the first time around, but wow thats beautiful nice job as usual Michael!!!:)

Hexe SA
02-05-2009, 04:22 PM
I miss the notice or is the project still coming. I subscribe and have not gotten the download notification.
Eva

mtylerfl
02-05-2009, 04:30 PM
I miss the notice or is the project still coming. I subscribe and have not gotten the download notification.
Eva

Hello Eva,

I sent a message to CarveWright about the Wilderness Eagle Project to ask about it's distribution. Should be hearing from them soon...

Lin
02-05-2009, 04:35 PM
I was sorta wondering myself. Normally CW is right on the ball with the POM on the 1st or 2nd day of the month...Here it is already the 5th and no POM notification in my e-mail yet...
Waiting patiently...
Lin

Lin
02-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Guess what I just saw show up in my e-mail box...yipee....POM is here and its the Wilderness Eagle Clock. I may just have to take all my bottles and cans off to get some kerosene to heat up my garage to carve this one...Haven't really much had the want to with the cold weather the past month but this maybe just the ticket to get me going again.
Lin

rhausman
02-05-2009, 10:29 PM
M ... the new project is, as usual, great looking ... want to cut it and the last month's project soon ... only problem with the subscription I (and, apparently, many others) purchased is that I had to change my software (originally to run the Swan project) and NOW, yet again to be able to open this and last month's projects ... seems a bit like fraud to sell a 12 mo subscription, then deny one access to the already purchased projects .... I have learned over the years to let others (more proficient with computer program problemsolving than I) run new versions a while to work out all the 'bugs' ... this simply isn't possible with the way CW does business!

I know you don't have anything to do with their process ... r

mtylerfl
02-06-2009, 08:35 AM
M ... the new project is, as usual, great looking ... want to cut it and the last month's project soon ... only problem with the subscription I (and, apparently, many others) purchased is that I had to change my software (originally to run the Swan project) and NOW, yet again to be able to open this and last month's projects ... seems a bit like fraud to sell a 12 mo subscription, then deny one access to the already purchased projects .... I have learned over the years to let others (more proficient with computer program problemsolving than I) run new versions a while to work out all the 'bugs' ... this simply isn't possible with the way CW does business!

I know you don't have anything to do with their process ... r

Hello,

You're right that I do not know the process of licensing, etc. of the patterns or subscriptions. However, it doesn't sound right to me that new software updates would preclude access to previous projects or patterns you have already received.

Please give CarveWright Tech Support a call for assistance. I feel sure that any previous projects you have received should certainly open in the current and future software versions.

All the Best...

larry711
02-06-2009, 08:52 AM
ok that is just to beautful to pass up when and how can i get the pattern

mtylerfl
02-06-2009, 03:42 PM
ok that is just to beautful to pass up when and how can i get the pattern

Hello Larry,

Thank you for the compliment. I enjoyed designing that project and had a great time making one for myself!

The Wilderness Eagle Clock Project is the most recent project in a subscription series that is distributed to Project of the Month Subscribers. As a Subscriber, you'll receive one new project per month for 12 months, starting from the month you sign up.

It's a great deal - each project is only $10 as a subscriber - i.e., 12 projects x $10 = $120. You'll save hundreds of dollars over the course of the 12 months. The same projects the subscribers receive are eventually sold separately but at a much higher individual price than what subscribers pay.

I can't make any promises, but if you sign up very soon, you might be able to get the Wilderness Eagle Clock Project since it has just been officially released to the Subscribers over the last couple of days. You might want to call CarveWright (713-473-6572) to sign up for the subscription and to confirm if you will receive the Wilderness Eagle Clock if you sign up now.

Here is the link to read more about the subscription:
http://www.carvewright.com/cms/subscription

Thanks again!

chebytrk
06-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Just looking for a little advice...... I've got a friend who is really interested in me making him the Wilderness Eagle Clock and wants to pay me something for it. I don't know what to ask for so I'm asking you guys what would be a fair price. I usually carve it on Optimal so there's less sanding and that's about a 4-5hr carve. Any suggestions are appreciated.

fwharris
06-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Jerry,

What kind of wood are you using? I've sold a few from $85 to $125 depending on the wood and finishing.

mtylerfl
06-02-2011, 05:55 AM
Hi Jerry,

FW's price range sounds about right. I've also had three or four folks tell me they have sold the clocks for $150 - I don't recall them mentioning what type of wood they were using, though.

chebytrk
06-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Thank you gents. I've made a couple in select pine and now going to make some in Oak. Now someone else wants me to make 20 clocks so he can sell them at a flea market. I never would have thought after all this time............. wish me luck.

fwharris
06-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Jerry,

Wow 20 clocks! That is a large order! You must of impressed them with the ones you've done!

chebytrk
06-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Jerry,

Wow 20 clocks! That is a large order! You must of impressed them with the ones you've done!

Just lucky amigo... I've actually only made one when we got the POM and I keep it in my office. The guy came in, saw it and fell in love with it and wanted one. Later found out that his father has 4 booths out at some flea market and after he told his dad, they wanted 20 of them. Talk about luck! So now I'm carving and trying to get them ready. Hoping to use different stains or maybe even different painting techniques and see what pops. Wish I had the talent like Mrs. SharonB cause she's definately got it when it comes to painting.

Wanted to mention that those new rubber belts make a world of difference. I haven't used masking tape for the last 3 projects and all seems to be doing really well. Looks like the rubber definately has a better grip on the wood. Even noticed that when I blow out the head rollers, dust isn't caught/stuck on them as much either. After I put the belts on I had to play with it a few times to re-calibrate like you did, but I finally got it.

chebytrk
06-05-2011, 06:47 AM
OK... so here's my first of the Eagle Clocks that I'm going to make for taking out to the flea market. Gonna try and see if it'll sell for about $85. Only thing is .. is that I'm wondering about the price now. The clock itself was $15 and the carve time (optimal.. less cleanup) was 6hrs + 1-2hrs for staining painting. Even if I go for $10hr carve time and add the rest, I just don't know if I can ask on the low side ($85), but don't know if people would pay a little more for it. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions... Wish me luck!44951

Kenm810
06-05-2011, 06:55 AM
Good Looking carving and finish on the Clock Jerry!! -- Worth every Dollar -- and then some.

RogerB
06-05-2011, 07:38 AM
You can always ask more and bicker it is a flee market.You know they will want too pay you less.Ask $95. sell for $85 .Win Win.

Chay
06-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Nice finish, Is it pine wood? Can these patterns be downsized to make a smaller clock?

chebytrk
06-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Yup.. it's pine. I've never downsized it, but I imagine it could be. Going to try one in Oak next time. That should come out pretty good.

fwharris
06-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Jerry,

Great job on the finishing! The added colors really set it off. Roger is right, set your price at what you feel best and be willing to come down if you need to. If doing different woods you can also price them seperate...

Chay
06-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Better to set a higher price than you want, you can always give them a deal but it is hard to bargan up.