PDA

View Full Version : Continuous Run Time?

djarboe
01-10-2009, 08:22 AM
I just finished designing two plaques that, in order to save wood, I put on one piece of lumber. When I downloaded (uploaded?) the project to the card and picked OPTIMUM quality, the software said it would take over 17 hours. That got me to wondering if there are any recommendations for maximum continuous run time. This is probably documented somewhere, but I haven't found it.

RBeau1954
01-10-2009, 08:45 AM
I have done some 4 hr jobs and all I have done is open the lid once in awhile and cleaned out the dust and checked the cable. Other then that I don't think you need to worry. Just check on it once in awhile.

Rick

ChrisAlb
01-10-2009, 09:01 AM
I just finished designing two plaques that, in order to save wood, I put on one piece of lumber. When I downloaded (uploaded?) the project to the card and picked OPTIMUM quality, the software said it would take over 17 hours. That got me to wondering if there are any recommendations for maximum continuous run time. This is probably documented somewhere, but I haven't found it.

One of my first projects was a 6'-6" long by 10" tall replica of the NY Yankee facade done in poplar. Way back in version 1.123. In that version it was a 14.75 hour carve and cutout. In this version it would probably be over 24 hours. The last carve I did was Alex's mirror done in Oak in 1.131. That was a 16-1/2 hour carve. The point is, as long as the CW is in good working order (proper maintenance) and you keep it vacuumed out along the way (I do every 15 - 20 minutes or so), there shouldn't be a problem.

The facade...
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=45508&postcount=1

The Mirror...
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=74306&postcount=46

jcorder
01-10-2009, 09:01 AM
On long carves, I open the lid about every 30 - 45 minutes and clean out the sawdust and give the machine a bit of a rest. I also keep checking the flex shaft to be sure it is not getting too hot.

Good luck
Jeff

ChrisAlb
01-10-2009, 09:06 AM
On long carves, I open the lid about every 30 - 45 minutes and clean out the sawdust and give the machine a bit of a rest. I also keep checking the flex shaft to be sure it is not getting too hot.

Good luck
Jeff

Jeff,

If you use the Crane Cam Assembly lube on the flex, it will never get hot.

The lube....

http://forum.carvewright.com//showpost.php?p=53871&postcount=4

jcorder
01-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Chris,
When I first seen you post that, I went and got it and I have not had a single issue with it getting warm anymore, but I am pretty anal about the machine and I keep running over and checking it. Guess it just gives me peace of mind.

Thanks for being so willing to share your expertise, in today's world, it is hard to find so many good people in one place.

Jeff

ChrisAlb
01-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Jeff,

Glad you're using it. It solved any warming issues for me for sure. This is the best forum on the net when it comes to "good" people. I'm just trying to give back some of so much that's been given to me in here....http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

If we were masons, I'd say Rock On! But in this case...Carve On!!

jcorder
01-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Jeff,

Glad you're using it. It solved any warming issues for me for sure. This is the best forum on the net when it comes to "good" people. I'm just trying to give back some of so much that's been given to me in here....http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

If we were masons, I'd say Rock On! But in this case...Carve On!!

That needs to be on a T-Shirt! Where is Alex when we need him??

ChrisAlb
01-10-2009, 09:39 AM
That needs to be on a T-Shirt! Where is Alex when we need him??

Ok, but this time I get 10%....LOL

jcorder
01-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Ok, but this time I get 10%....LOL

I'll be your manager and we will hold out for 40%! Your 10 and my 30 LOL

djarboe
01-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks to all for the help. I'm heading out now to get the lube. The suggestion about a "rest period" makes sense, and seems like a good practice to follow!

One more question... can I also use the same lube on the guide rods? The manual recommends a lithium grease, I believe. Seems like the molybdenum disulfide lube should be good there also.

ChrisAlb
01-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks to all for the help. I'm heading out now to get the lube. The suggestion about a "rest period" makes sense, and seems like a good practice to follow!

One more question... can I also use the same lube on the guide rods? The manual recommends a lithium grease, I believe. Seems like the molybdenum disulfide lube should be good there also.

I use a white lithium spray for the rods. I spray it on a rag and wipe it on. the Crane cam is rather thick although I suppose if applied the same way it might work but it's also black and stains easily so I stick to the lithium spray. The rods don't need a lot either. I clean them and wipe on the lithium about once a week.

Beerfaced
01-10-2009, 12:04 PM
with paste wax on the rods. Since I was already using it on the extension tables. So far it seems to work very well. I also rub it into the gearing for the crank handle. For the flex shaft I use a chain lube from Canadian Tire. It is cheap and the cable barely gets warm even after 4 hours of continuous use.

Rob