PDA

View Full Version : Making patterns

jpaluck
01-09-2009, 06:33 PM
I have had several people ask me what programs software etc I use to make patterns. I made a couple videos that i put on youtube so I hope it helps some people looking to get into 3d modeling for pattern making. I learned a lot from other people that had posted vids on different things with 3d modeling but there was never anything out there specific for CW so there was a lot of trial and error on my part. excuse the vids...might not be the best my first ever so...be gentle...LOL

BTW I don't work for or sell zbrush...LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEGcR4O2L_M&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uTnMyGj5zY&feature=channel_page

John

James RS
01-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks it gives me a starting point

DocWheeler
01-09-2009, 08:01 PM
John,

Thanks for the videos. I've thought about other programs but I have not really used the ones that I have (CD, PS, and the English one I bought on a whim). If I had it to do over, I think that the Zbrush would have been better than the ones I chose.

There are several of you artists now for us to get patterns from, thanks again for sharing.

ChrisAlb
01-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Hey John,

That's very cool and very nice of you to help us out. After all this time we've been talking in the forum and emailing back and forth, it's cool to hear your voice too. You've been telling me about Zbrush for over a year now. Guess it's time to really look into it.

THANKS BUDDY!!

liquidguitars
01-10-2009, 04:48 AM
Very cool..

John, you can save bmp's directly into designer from Zbrush under the Alpha menue, but will need to type the extension in first "filename.bmp" this can save a step or 2.

LG

jpaluck
01-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Lg

when you export out under the displexport underalpha...only goes out as a tiff...can export out as an alpha but it works better with displaexporter

John

liquidguitars
01-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Sounds good, I noticed the the BMP in the alpha worked but needed the extension manually typed.

Just thought I give you a heads up. :D

BTW did you try getting a 32.PNG out of the of the deoptions yet show the format is suported..

LG

Jamey
01-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Very cool. I bought Zbrush for my son to play around with. He ended up trying it once and giving up.

I will be installing this and practicing soon!

Thanks!

Woodhacker
01-19-2009, 05:22 PM
I downloaded a trail copy of z-brush but cannot make heads or tails of it. It is NOTHING like any other gfx program I have ever used. And, as it costs about $6oo, I don't think I will be getting it...LOL

jpaluck
01-19-2009, 07:41 PM
there is definitly a learning curve...its not a graphics program but 3d modelling..i would suggest watching all the tutorials on their site..kinda felt the same way when i first opened it...LOL

John

usd5000000
04-22-2009, 09:10 AM
I was willing to spend money to buy MOI for my hobby, but Zbrush & MOI together is a little steep. If I have Zbrush why would I need MOI too? MOI seems pretty easy to learn and intuitive. Zbrush seems more like a digital sculpting program.

I wood carve so Zbrush might be interesting, but I'm afraid that it might not be intuitive enough and that I'll end up "fighting" it. I've never done any 3D modeling. Just played around in MOI and Sketchup.

Thanks for your opinions and experience.

Jeff

jpaluck
04-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Jeff

Zbrush is awsome for sculpting and quite a few other things like a tool called projection master and getting the heightmap. To model in zbrush you have learn zspheres which are ok but I like the ease of moi for th modeling or making the rough basic shapes and then bring them into zbrush to tweak sculpt etc. I find moi to be very easy and fast. Another program you could check out is ac 3d for basic modelling..like 79 bucks or blender is free I just could never get the interface.

usd5000000
04-22-2009, 08:38 PM
John thanks for your insights. It's hard for me to take my chunks of wood on the road when I go on my many business trips so I thought I might be able to satisfy my sculpting/carving cravings digitally.

MOI is soooo... reasonable and really impressive from an ease of use perspective... I don't know if AC3D would be worth it to save $100. Zbrush is the BIG investment I'd have to ponder. Maybe I'd have to sell some patterns like you to try and recover some of my investment.

Thanks for your comments.

(Gotta max out my next bonus....)

Jeff

Digitalwoodshop
04-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Interesting topic.... Almost like a different language.... Interesting words... Like listening to two retired sailors talking about Ships Bulkheads, Scuttlebutt, Rat Tail Stopper.....

I would love to get to a point in the Business where I could play with the art and pattern part. Trout season has been open a few days and I have not even been to the brook yet, too busy working....

I have the pattern editor and have never opened it yet.... That would be a starting place.

John, the Trout are waiting for you when you get the time.

AL

usd5000000
04-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Al, I hope you get to do some fishing.

I pretty much gave up all my hobbies a number of years ago. My CW was not turned on for 1.5 years. Finally did made a few projects with it and I love it!

The beauty of this CW-based hobby is now I can squeeze in some designing on airplanes. This is the only time I have for myself. (In a hotel right now finishing 3 hours of conference calls.)

It's still tricky finding time available to actually carve stuff because the machine is SO NOISY! It really needs a quieter spindle motor. I'll someday figure out and get time to build a hush box, but noise really needs to be fixed at the source.

Catch some big ones!

Sincerely,
Jeff

jpaluck
04-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Jeff

I would tell you to go with zbrush...for the sculpting artistic peice, you cant beat it moi is not close. They are totally different. Zbrush can be very addicting, so much more you can do with it. I would say it would definitly satisy you sculpting carving jones.

John

usd5000000
04-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Thanks John and Craig for your insights. I think I've almost convinced myself to go with Zbrush. I need to start a biz so I can write it off. I hope it will be as intuitive as carving and sculpting in "real" mediums.

MOI seems like it would be great for industrial design. Easiest package to use that I've ever seen.

Zbrush seems to be more for artists. I might try to try carving "Rover", my horse bust, in Zbrush to see how it works.

Thanks,
Jeff

jpaluck
04-26-2009, 09:33 AM
love to see how you make out..you will be happy with it..very fun and addictive...post some results when you get a chance