PDA

View Full Version : Optimum Carving setting

Eagle Hollow
01-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I don't where to post this so the moderators may find the right place for it.

I just finished 5 hr.- 27 min carve using 1.132 at optimum setting. The detail is incredible. What fuzz there was, I scraped off with a fingernail in a couple of minutes. The machine ran much smoother, the flex cable shroud stayed COOL...maybe 75 degrees.

This part of a larger furniture project which I will post pics of when its done...besides I left my camera at the kids house on Christmas.

jcorder
01-09-2009, 06:35 PM
When I look at the settings in designer, I have none, low, medium, high and best, where to I choose optimum?

pkunk
01-09-2009, 06:37 PM
When you upload a project to the card.

jcorder
01-09-2009, 07:00 PM
thanks! I have not got that far yet, I broke my cutout bit and I will pick one up next weekend at the big woodworking show in Columbus, so I have not done any carving yet with the new software, just playing with patterns.

Thanks
Jeff

Eagle Hollow
01-11-2009, 11:46 AM
I don't where to post this so the moderators may find the right place for it.

I just finished 5 hr.- 27 min carve using 1.132 at optimum setting. The detail is incredible. What fuzz there was, I scraped off with a fingernail in a couple of minutes. The machine ran much smoother, the flex cable shroud stayed COOL...maybe 75 degrees.

This part of a larger furniture project which I will post pics of when its done...besides I left my camera at the kids house on Christmas.

Well, I just couldn't wait for the completed project. I AM IMPRESSED with the new optimum setting. This is the way it came out of the carver...no finish a couple of small fuzzies scraped off with a fingernail. The woods: walnut, cherry, birch and maple.

This is one of our regulars who stopped by this morning to say howdy. We get one every few weeks ever since they got one of our geese. He's over 200 yards away so it is hard to get a real good pic.

Kenm810
01-11-2009, 12:06 PM
I think that's the way all of us carvers, dream the projects
would come out the the machine. looks Beautiful !

liquidguitars
01-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Wow how Beautiful!

LG

brdad
01-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Wow, that is great!
Was that fed through the machine in a manner that it carved with the grain as opposed to against it? I've done one that way where it came out nice and another where it was comparable to a cross grain carve. not sure if anyone else has tried and experienced a difference in quality?

Eagle Hollow
01-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Wow, that is great!
Was that fed through the machine in a manner that it carved with the grain as opposed to against it? I've done one that way where it came out nice and another where it was comparable to a cross grain carve. not sure if anyone else has tried and experienced a difference in quality?

Yes, it was carved with the grain. I've carved a couple others with the grain and was happy with the results but this is the best result in over 400 hours carving time. As comparing to cross grain, I think with the grain results in somewhat better quality.

liquidguitars
01-11-2009, 12:43 PM
I think with the grain results in somewhat better quality.

Do you think grain direction should go left to right? or right to left when carving wood. :confused: as its tricky to guess.

LG

Eagle Hollow
01-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Do you think grain direction should go left to right? or right to left when carving wood. :confused: as its tricky to guess.

LG

I guess it depends on which side of the machine you're standing

liquidguitars
01-11-2009, 01:04 PM
lets say i am standing at the keypad side and the red locking arm is the front of the unit...

we have a coice of gain direction "A" or "B" I am thinking grain "B" makes the most sense but not sure.:)

i have noticed the the 1/8 cut bit does not like to climb cut "into he grain" and add more stress..

I need a new keybord..

LG

Eagle Hollow
01-11-2009, 01:16 PM
lets say i am standing at the keypad side and the red locking arm is the front of the unit...

we have a coice of gain direction "A" or "B" I am thinking grain "B" makes the most sense but not sure.:)

I need a new keybord..

LG

Unless we can come up with a "C", let's go with "B"