PDA

View Full Version : 700 hrs

RBeau1954
01-08-2009, 06:19 PM
I read on here that someone has 700 hrs on there machine, although I find that hard to believe, I do believe it because why would someone lie on a forum that craves information. I have 35 hrs on mine and already have had to replace a z axis motor and a power supply. I love my machine but cringe every time I start a project and hope it makes it through. I have lost a couple of jobs because it died in the middle and I am afraid to take on anything for fear of it not coming through for me. Has anyone else got the same feeling sometimes?

Rick
(Indianapolis Rick)

MCGEE2SKINNER
01-08-2009, 07:08 PM
ditto.
JIM

bjbethke
01-08-2009, 08:27 PM
I read on here that someone has 700 hrs on there machine, although I find that hard to believe, I do believe it because why would someone lie on a forum that craves information. I have 35 hrs on mine and already have had to replace a z axis motor and a power supply. I love my machine but cringe every time I start a project and hope it makes it through. I have lost a couple of jobs because it died in the middle and I am afraid to take on anything for fear of it not coming through for me. Has anyone else got the same feeling sometimes?

Rick
(Indianapolis Rick)
I think if you never had any problems with your equipment you would not learn how your equipment works.

To me I think it is a blessing to have the chance to repair your equipment. It helps me to learn how the CW machine functions.

I think fears will disappear when you are able to repair your own equipment. This is a great machine to learn how to do that.

I’m sure with 700 hours on a machine there were lots of repairs. I learned a lot about how CW works with the repairs I needed to do. (My motor hours 115 hrs 49 min). I’m glad I was able to learn the inter-functions of this machine when LHR was replacing the parts at a low cost to me. I started my second year this month; hope I learn enough to keep my CW running.

TerryT
01-08-2009, 09:07 PM
I think it is Al that has 700 or so hours. I have over 500 on my machine really not that much in repairs.

RBeau1954
01-08-2009, 09:29 PM
I can appreciate working on equipment so you can learn. I am a maintenance mechanic and do that kind of work all the time, what I don't like is losing business when it quits in the middle of a project and I have to wait a week or so for parts. For the most part, tech services has been great and I can get back in service quick but it still creates a sense of frustration when I hear the machine change speeds and I run out there to see what happened and it is ok. Time will give me more confidence.

Rick

forqnc
01-09-2009, 07:00 AM
Definetly would be Al (Digitalwoodshop) and I believe he has surpased 1000 hours on one of his 3 machines.

Jeff_Birt
01-09-2009, 08:29 AM
what I don't like is losing business when it quits in the middle of a project

While I can understand your concern let's be fair about something: This is NOT a commercial/industrial machine. That is not what it was designed for and CarveWright is very up front about that. I don't know where you got your machine, but both items you mentioned have been 'upgraded' by CarveWright in months past and I would not expect them to be a large concern in the future. Some guys do have one or more machines and run them hard and make money from them, I say more power to them.

With any machine you depend on to make a living you need to have some small stock of spare parts. Things like a set of feed belts and a spare chuck come to mind. I also have a couple of extra bits and adapters on hand. These are items that are 'consumables' and I can't pick up locally, so I would not want to wait a week to get them.

atauer
01-09-2009, 09:15 AM
I think it is Al that has 700 or so hours. I have over 500 on my machine really not that much in repairs.

Al's combined time for his machines are almost 700 hours.

He has well over 400 on one. I can vouch for him, as he has sent our support team pictures of the cut-motor on time for his machine.

Al,

You rock man! Keep that odometer turning!

HelpBot3000
01-09-2009, 09:20 AM
I think Al put those pictures on a post, I might be mistaken but I thought he had. I'll try to dig that thread up and post a link but the one machine had over 800hrs. The guy is a carving madman! :)

RBeau1954
01-09-2009, 03:06 PM
I am not doing this as a commercial enterprise. I do gifts and things for people and friends. Is there a list of recommended spare parts listed someplace. I read this forum alot and see what parts seem to be problem areas but haven't seen a recommended list. I love the machine and tech services have been great. I ordered my power supply monday afternoon and got it on Thursday and it went in real easy. Thanks for all the support and thanks to the people on this forum for all there help.

Rick

ChrisAlb
01-09-2009, 03:28 PM

Rick
(Indianapolis Rick)

Nope, over 450 cut hours and another 200 scan time. Running like a CHAMP!!http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Just one machine. Can't wait to get #2!!

I should add....
1 set of sand paper belts (My fault)
1 Board sensor (My fault)
1 QC (hey, after 400 hours, yep, it crapped out on it's own)

No Complaints at all....http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

atauer
01-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Not to mention that at least 20 of the cut hours were on one project!

:)

Thanks again Chris!

And a thanks to Al for supplying Chris with a backup to get the job done!

ChrisAlb
01-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Not to mention that at least 20 of the cut hours were on one project!

Thanks again Chris!

And a thanks to Al for supplying Chris with a backup to get the job done!

You mean a back up set of BELTS.....not a back up machine. Didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea...LOL

atauer
01-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Very true. I did not specify very well. I mean a set of back up belts.

Chris,

Have you gotten a chance to get any of the new belts yet?

ChrisAlb
01-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Alex,

If you mean those new heavy duty ones, No.

Quite frankly, after getting over 430 hours out of the originals, and they broke ONLY due to my stupidity, I not only fully expect to get another 400+ hours from the second set of original type belts but I just can't see paying that much for the new ones when the originals last so long already.

HelpBot3000
01-09-2009, 04:04 PM
but let's not forget, they look cool! :cool:

atauer
01-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Very true. You did get quite a good life out of them.

BTW, what caused them to break?

Kenm810
01-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Quote form AL two weeks ago http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif --OK... Went and looked.... Machine #1 is over 800 hours and has not been used since October, I need to swap a QC.
Machine 2 is getting up there.... I had really planned to get machine #1 to 1000 hours by Christmas but I ended up using machine 2 for everything running up it's hours.
#3 I am not sure, 200 something but from the previous owner, I have not carved anything with it yet. Need to replace a Y bearing.

1349 combined cut hours....

ChrisAlb
01-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Very true. You did get quite a good life out of them.

BTW, what caused them to break?

Well, The first thing was a tear I caused in the right belt after having the machine for about 22 hours. I didn't notice a splintered bottom edge on a board I was using. It got caught and caused a tear. I took the belt off, cut about an inch of the end and been using it that way ever since.

The other belt (left), snapped on your mirror because I didn't have enough head pressure (posts needed lube and I missed it). When it was measuring the project, a 4 foot 1 x 12 oak and sled it was mounted in and it came out the left side, it dropped so far because of not enough head pressure that it snapped the belt...LOL...WHOOPS! My Bad.

Digitalwoodshop
01-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Yep, that be me.... Today's goal.... How am I going to may the bills next month..... ?

Looking grim....

7:45 PM Back to work....

AL

ChrisAlb
01-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Personally buddy, I think for all the help you've given us in here, we should take up a collection to help you out.

I'll start...check your email tomorrow....http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

liquidguitars
01-09-2009, 07:13 PM
I could be in 2nd I think..

245/280 hrs on unit 2 and 641/709 hrs on unit 1
for a cool 886 hrs total.

Btw what's servo time vs cut time? :)

LG

Digitalwoodshop
01-09-2009, 07:16 PM
I could be in 2nd I think..

245/280 hrs on unit 2 and 641/709 hrs on unit 1
for a cool 886 hrs total.

Btw what servo time all about? :)

LG

Servo time is board measuring and bit checks. Possible scan time is included in servo time or is there a "scan time" counter? Moving but no cut motor.

I believe....

AL

liquidguitars
01-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks Al,

keep positive.

We have all learned a ton from you!

was thinking that it was bit checking ect..

I have little time on the probe under 18hrs or so ..

LG