PDA

View Full Version : Help with Litho's ASAP

derrickmdale
01-08-2009, 01:56 AM
I am trying to due a picture/litho collage for my parents 25th anniversary coming up soon. I have never tried to do one of these before and I'm aware that a project like this probably is not the place to start. So I thought I would turn to my fellow carvies to get some advice. I know it has been stated time and time again throught the threads but I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind posting a small tutorial on how to put modify the picture format what the "standard" mods are before it's loaded into CW software and cutting depths, etc. What thickness material, etc.

Again, I know this is a repeat, but it would be greatly appreciated. If anyone out there just has a "need" to convert litho files I could gladly use your expertise or assistance.

Thanks

LittleRedWoodshop
01-08-2009, 02:02 AM
People can say all they want about the use of High-End, exspensive software, BUT. The only software that I use is the software that came with the CW machine and probe. My settings are as follows. depth is .18 and the heighth is 450 - using 1/4 inch cast acrylic or Corian.

Gary Koval
01-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Derrickmdale,
Just a thought but why don't you try that cutting board from Lowe's that was mentioned in prior postings, the name escapes me now. I buy it in the 12x18 inch size cut it into 4-5x7's and and use it that way. At about $9.00 it might be worth getting your depths and heights right before cutting corian. And like LittleRedWorkshop says, I also use .180-.185 depth but depending upon the picture, go from 50 to 400 height. Sorry don't have a tutorial but the information can be had in past posts.
Gary

Edit:Cutting board, brand name "Sabatier" 12" x 18".

DStimpson
01-09-2009, 06:26 AM
One thing about using the Lowe's cutting boards.....you will need to use a sled or some other method to increase the thickness for the CW. They are only 1/4" thick, so you will need to temporarily mount them to a backer at lease 1/2" thick (I use 3/4").

They also have kind of a mat finish to the surfaces (both sides) which can sometimes blur fine detail slightly.

And they can tend to leave behind "frizzies" that can be removed using a CLEAN brass brush.

Other than that, they are an inexpensive alternative to Corian or other cast acrylics.

BTW, I usually cut .125 deep and use 999 for the height setting.

fwharris
01-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Derrick,

Take a look at this:
http://carvebuddy.com/PDFs/Lithophane_Tutorial_by_Troy_April2008.pdf

rcdages
01-09-2009, 12:06 PM
People can say all they want about the use of High-End, exspensive software, BUT. The only software that I use is the software that came with the CW machine and probe. My settings are as follows. depth is .18 and the heighth is 450 - using 1/4 inch cast acrylic or Corian.

I do agree with LittleRedWoodshop-the softwear from LHR is great and works very will. The one thing you always want to do is really study your softwear and do test pieces then make notes or keep your test pieces with notes to further your knownlege of the Wonderfull CW machine.

derrickmdale
01-10-2009, 07:32 PM
fwharris,

thank you so much.. that is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciated everyone's comments. I'm really looking forward to having time to experiment with different litho's. I'm just on a crunch this week and don't have time for error or experimentation. That tutorial really hit the spot.

James RS
01-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Derrickmdale,
Just a thought but why don't you try that cutting board from Lowe's that was mentioned in prior postings, the name escapes me now. I buy it in the 12x18 inch size cut it into 4-5x7's and and use it that way. At about $9.00 it might be worth getting your depths and heights right before cutting corian. And like LittleRedWorkshop says, I also use .180-.185 depth but depending upon the picture, go from 50 to 400 height. Sorry don't have a tutorial but the information can be had in past posts.
Gary

Edit:Cutting board, brand name "Sabatier" 12" x 18".

I've used this cutting board twice with great results both times, except I used the smaller size
8"x10" couldn't go wrong for 3 bucks a piece

AskBud
01-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Here is a link, I saw, that may help.
http://forum.carvewright.com//attachment.php?attachmentid=9990&d=120433
AskBud

jpaluck
01-10-2009, 09:32 PM
to make a litho no other software is needed...just invert your image...meaning the eys should bug out the nose inward etc...it realy is very simple...photo when ready to cut should look opposite of what "it should look like"

john

jcorder
01-10-2009, 09:34 PM
it is best if you scan a photo in and make sure you set it to at least 300 dpi.