PDA

View Full Version : No accessories

jwstewar
01-07-2009, 07:46 PM
I bought a CompuCarve from a closeout store. It is a Craftsman unit that had been returned to Sears. It didn't have anything other than the machine itself. They were originally asking $699 for it, I ened up buying it for $89.95. Now before I order the memory card/reader and bits and everything. I've got a question. Since I don't have a card how should it behave when I turn it on? Currently just the top line of the LCD display turns dark. No messages or anything. I know it has been used at one point because there is saw dust in it.

Should I order the accessories for it or did I just waste my $100?

DocWheeler
01-07-2009, 07:49 PM
jw,

What a deal, even if you just use it for parts.
The display will not show anything without a formatted card, so you do not have a problem there.

Dan-Woodman
01-07-2009, 08:21 PM
jw
The carving bit,programmer and memory card are all avaiable at Lowe's for $28.98 ea.
later Daniel

geekviking
01-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Where did you purchase it for that price? I'll have to call around :shock

MAX COX
01-07-2009, 08:27 PM
I would say you got a very good deal. You can still have a very good buy even if you have to put a few dollars into it,

jwstewar
01-07-2009, 09:00 PM
I got it at a place in Circleville, OH called Grandview Weekend Outlet. They have a little bit of everything there. Some is junk, some is good buys, some are fantastic buys - like my CC. They also have what is called a Pat's E-Z Change for a tractor. It normally sells for $200 (which is what I paid for mine), they have it for $99. Now like my CC, they only have the one, but still if you are the one needing it, it is a great buy.

I think I'll stop by Lowes on my way home tomorrow night to see if they have the stuff I need in stock so I don't have to wait.:-D

TerryT
01-08-2009, 07:55 AM
In the spirit of government bailouts, I would hate to see you loose your 89.95 investment. So I will happily give you double your money back and pay for the shiping to send it to me. LOL

jwstewar
08-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Well guys it only took me almost 4 years, but I finally got around to trying this thing out. :mrgreen: It hadn't made it quite to the top of the list yet. I'm happy to say that it works. I've realized I'm missing the dust collector and the bit changing tool, but other than that it worked well. I ordered the 1/16" carving bit, programmer, and card from Lowes. I think they were a total of a little less than $100. I also found a package of 5 bits at Sears marked on Clearance for something like $15 a year or so ago and got a couple others for like $3 each, so at least I have 8 bits. Now we just need to learn how to use the software better and see if I can find some more bits - especially at the price that I found my others at Sears.:p First design didn't turn out too well, not as a fault of the machine, just an issue with our design and not quite knowing how it would come out.

AskBud
08-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Well guys it only took me almost 4 years, but I finally got around to trying this thing out. :mrgreen: It hadn't made it quite to the top of the list yet. I'm happy to say that it works. I've realized I'm missing the dust collector and the bit changing tool, but other than that it worked well. I ordered the 1/16" carving bit, programmer, and card from Lowes. I think they were a total of a little less than $100. I also found a package of 5 bits at Sears marked on Clearance for something like $15 a year or so ago and got a couple others for like $3 each, so at least I have 8 bits. Now we just need to learn how to use the software better and see if I can find some more bits - especially at the price that I found my others at Sears.:p First design didn't turn out too well, not as a fault of the machine, just an issue with our design and not quite knowing how it would come out.Since you are just beginning, you may wish to start with these practice designs. They should give you a better idea of the "whys & wherefores".
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/learn/designertutorials.php

I, also, still have some parts for the old QC units.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?16118-Buds-Inventory-Reduction
AskBud