PDA

View Full Version : Vista 64 bit

leesheridan
01-07-2009, 06:12 PM
I have a new laptop that has Vista which I like the changes MS has made. My problem is with the 64 bit operating system. I worked with Omar at CW a number of times and I have deleted and loaded designer programs so many times and so many ways only to come up with the same problem. It won't work. If anyone has the answer please let me know.

Bubbabear
01-07-2009, 07:36 PM
You may want to try compatibility mode and let it think it is running xp maybe. Also when installing right click on the setup and then run as administrator

PlateCarver
01-07-2009, 08:32 PM
I am running on Vista and had the same problems at first. The solution was to completely uninstall the failed installation (directories created that may not have been removed). Reboot and right click and install as the administrator. Works fine but was real frustrating at first.

LittleRedWoodshop
01-07-2009, 09:42 PM
I have been running on vista for over a year ... admin is the answer

ruggybear
01-07-2009, 09:54 PM
The original post indicates he is running 64 bit version of Vista and not the more popular 32 bit version that most are running. I don't know if that makes a big differance or not.

My experience with Vista indicates that the only time you need to run in Administrator mode is when importing files and then trying to save them to your MPN file. I get a file locked error or something like that. Closing up Designer and relaunching as administrator solves that issue.

Ken

leesheridan
01-08-2009, 10:43 AM
I've tried running as administrator and I would say that I've deleted and tried unloading various ways no less than 20 some times. The problem is the faster 64 bit. And as time goes by there will be more programs written for the 64 bit. Microsoft has a program compatibility list for 32 and the 64 bit. And the list goes down by more than 50% between the two. I like the Vista programing regardless of the TV ads. It's just that the 64 bit is out prior to programs being ready for it. I use the XP setting for running but no luck there also. Does anyone know if there is some way to dupe the processor to run on 32 bit? Running CW on a laptop was the whole idea behind getting the laptop. One of my sons helped my wife pick out the laptop for Christmas and he works for Lawerance Livermore Lab and is working with all the computers on the base and what they are capable of doing is far out there compared to my needs. I'm no longer working on missiles and my computer should be more like me, slow and retired.

Jeff_Birt
01-08-2009, 10:47 AM
You could buy/install a copy of Vista 32bit.

atauer
01-08-2009, 10:56 AM
I myself am running a 32 bit Vista. I am speaking with some of the engineers here to see if we have a 64 bit that we can test on. So far, no luck. I may get some better answers later, but right now, I'm stumped as well.

atauer
01-08-2009, 11:30 AM
There are a lot of software packages that do not support 64 bit Windows Vista and do not function correctly on a 64 bit Vista. MS did a terrible job of making the 64 bit compatible with others. (Thank you Mr. Gates.) Your best bet for the time being would be to run the software on a different computer if possible.

Mike,

Exactly what issues do you encounter when trying to run the software on a 64-bit Vista?

pine acres woodshop
01-08-2009, 11:48 AM
I have Windows Vista 64-bit operating system, I haven't had any issues running the software (Knock on wood), I am listed as administrator. I'm not to computer savy so that's all I got to say about that.
Mark

jwstewar
01-08-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm new to the CarveWright software and haven't done much with it, but I have installed it and played with a couple of simple projects on my Vista 64-bit box. It is a home built box w/ Vista 64-bit Home Premium w/ 4 gig of RAM and dual 640 Gig hard drivers and an NVIDIA 8800GT w/ 512 MB of RAM (I think). It has a little bit of everything installed on it with no issues.

Have you tried disabling your antivirus and things like that while you are installing? Some of those will block some files that need to be written and/or updated.

leesheridan
01-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Well, I tried turning off the security programs and loading from the web as admin again. The result was the same. I did notice that the down load from CW at http://www.carvewright.com/update is today the 1.132 version. So, the only diferent news would be the latest verison is available.

leesheridan
01-08-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm new to the CarveWright software and haven't done much with it, but I have installed it and played with a couple of simple projects on my Vista 64-bit box. It is a home built box w/ Vista 64-bit Home Premium w/ 4 gig of RAM and dual 640 Gig hard drivers and an NVIDIA 8800GT w/ 512 MB of RAM (I think). It has a little bit of everything installed on it with no issues.

Have you tried disabling your antivirus and things like that while you are installing? Some of those will block some files that need to be written and/or updated.

This is the same system that I have.

Amonaug
01-08-2009, 01:44 PM
I run mine on WinXP 64 no problems.

64-bit OS has been out for YEARS, it's nothing new and hardly any programs are written for 64 bit systems. Don't get your hopes up on that. In fact some installation programs won't even recognise a 64-bit OS as a valid OS, for example if it runs on WinXP it won't recognise WinXP64 as a valid OS. I had the same thought a few years ago that this is where programming was going, it flopped.

HelpBot3000
01-08-2009, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE=jwstewar;76066]It is a home built box w/ Vista 64-bit Home Premium w/ 4 gig of RAM and dual 640 Gig hard drivers and an NVIDIA 8800GT w/ 512 MB of RAM (I think). It has a little bit of everything installed on it with no issues.
[QUOTE]

Nice box! :D I agree about the not much luck on 64 bit OS programming. They did put out an XP 64 bit edition that was kind of a flop. I know its the next logical evolution in the OS development world but for some reason a lot of 3rd part designers are just refusing to play nice. Having previously worked in a related field, I like this thread. It greatly interests me.

leesheridan
01-08-2009, 02:36 PM
All of the reasons for the programs not running is listed as "APPCRASH".

atauer
01-08-2009, 04:32 PM
We are gonna load the software on a 64 bit Vista and test the crap out of it. As previously stated, there really aren't alot of programs that are 64 bit compatible.

atauer
01-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Also,

I'm gonna have to get a copy of Windows 7 as well, since the Beta is going public on the 9th.

leesheridan
01-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Alax, thanks for the research.

fyrpuppy
01-08-2009, 11:22 PM
I am running the 64 bit and the only problems I have had was when I was saving patterns. The software would act up and I would restart the program and it would work fine.

geekviking
01-08-2009, 11:26 PM
I'm running 64 bit Vista, and have had no problems so far. The new ver of Designer seems pretty stable as well, have to see if it affects the carves any... (Also GOTTA check out the Optimized setting :) )

leesheridan
01-09-2009, 05:39 AM
Alex, I'll be gone for a week but I will kiss my wife hello and run to check the thread when I get back home.
Thanks again

AWoodsmith
01-12-2009, 11:50 PM
I have designer running on Vist 32 and Vista 64, and have no issues with either. My desktop is built by me as I use to do that for a living. I have an AMD Phenom dual core processor, 2 gigs memory, 4 250gig SATA hardrives and a SATA dvd-rw, and a ATI video card with 512 mem built on.

DickB
03-13-2009, 11:53 AM
Has anyone other than me not been able to get the software to run on Vista 32 bit? I get a gui.exe crash immediately after the opening window displays. The software version is 1.133. I contacted tech support and was emailed the instructions in the Vista post. I followed the instructions with the same results. Alex at tech support insists that the software will run id the instructions are followed to the letter, implying that I did not do so. I have tried repeatedly. I have also tried other variants. I read somewhere about video hardware accelerators and Vista compatibility issues, so I also tried changing various parameters on my NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS display adapter. Still no luck. I cannot change the memory cache size or hardware acceleration choices in the software because it crashes before it gets that far.

Am I the only one with this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. At present, i am relegated to using an old, slow laptop running Windows 2000, which is also suffering from the Pattern Editor crash.

DickB
03-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Tried the software on my son's Vista machine and it loaded and ran perfectly. No tricks or special steps were needed to install. Sure wish I could get this running on my machine. The imaging is so slow on my old, old laptop. It was amazing to see what a modern PC could do.

Seriously, am I the only one with a Vista issue?

cnsranch
03-23-2009, 04:22 PM
You may want to try 1.132 - 1.133 has a few bugs they're working out, and you'll need that update when it comes out, anyway.

Sorry, I can't help re Vista.

DickB
03-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but I did try 1.132 with no luck.

leesheridan
03-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Dick I had problems getting the programs working on my Vista 64 bit system. I tried everything everyone mentioned. One of the problems you have created by trying to upload and uninstall the program is that you will need to clean up your registry. Then the only way I could get it to work is to down load the program from my pc onto a 6 gig flash drive and load it onto the new laptop vista 64 system. Don't forget to clean up the registry before you load the program.