PDA

View Full Version : Very unhappy

AWoodsmith
01-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I was going to post this under the other thread titled a New level of Frustration but someone locked it...

Well I got a call from a female (Shane Spelling?) from LHR and told me that my machine was ready but that I had to pay for non covered parts. For the third time they replaced my drive belts and they replaced the flex shaft cord I think is what she said, I am not 100% sure by this time I was already seeing red. She pretty much blamed me for the damage saying I did not lube my guide posts or screw assembly. In November the belts were replaced by them for the second time because they were rolled up same as this time. I was told not lubing the posts will cause this, if that is true then whey did they not find that problem in November when they had it. There is no way all the lube was warn off the guide posts with only 49 hrs cut time on the machine after I got back from LHR. If in fact the belt roll up is caused by not lubing the guide posts and head screw should they not have found that the first time in November? As far as the flex shaft why did that have to be replaced after a total of 69 hours of actual carve time even after I followed the instructions and lubed the shaft with lube that had moly in it plus the took the flex shaft out in November and re-lubed it? Then I asked about why when I got it back the last time in December did the squaring plate and the locking handle fall off during a carve each fell off at different times. She told me I needed to take pictures because she found it hard to believe that it happened, basically calling me a liar. When I asked to speak to her supervisor she said ok then came back and told me that her boss told her that me talking to her is as far as this discussion was going to go. I find that very unprofessional and demonstrate a total lack of customer care. Then I was told to either pay now or call back to pay but I was not getting my machine until I paid the $51.00. Shane through the whole conversation blamed me for not conducting proper maintenance and kept threatening to end the conversation as I was expressing to her my total dissatisfaction with this company. This is the third time I had to pay for the belts and the fact that I had to replace the core already is crazy. There is no way the lithium grease was warn off that quickly and seeing how I had these issues from minute one after getting my machine back from LHR after they had the machine to conduct repairs of faulty workmanship and manufacturing. So now I not only paid for the machine but I had to pay $158.00 for shipping the last time in November and pay for new belts then, now I paid $51.00 for a new core and another set of drive belts, this is getting to be too much. What next, what will I have to go through the next time this machine breaks? Can you imagine the cost once this machine runs out of warranty.

atauer
01-07-2009, 12:46 PM
I was going to post this under the other thread titled a New level of Frustration but someone locked it...

For the third time they replaced my drive belts and they replaced the flex shaft cord I think is what she said, I am not 100% sure by this time I was already seeing red. She pretty much blamed me for the damage saying I did not lube my guide posts or screw assembly. In November the belts were replaced by them for the second time because they were rolled up same as this time. I was told not lubing the posts will cause this, if that is true then whey did they not find that problem in November when they had it. There is no way all the lube was warn off the guide posts with only 49 hrs cut time on the machine after I got back from LHR. If in fact the belt roll up is caused by not lubing the guide posts and head screw should they not have found that the first time in November? As far as the flex shaft why did that have to be replaced after a total of 69 hours of actual carve time even after I followed the instructions and lubed the shaft with lube that had moly in it plus the took the flex shaft out in November and re-lubed it? Then I asked about why when I got it back the last time in December did the squaring plate and the locking handle fall off during a carve each fell off at different times. She told me I needed to take pictures because she found it hard to believe that it happened, basically calling me a liar. When I asked to speak to her supervisor she said ok then came back and told me that her boss told her that me talking to her is as far as this discussion was going to go. I find that very unprofessional and demonstrate a total lack of customer care. Then I was told to either pay now or call back to pay but I was not getting my machine until I paid the $51.00. Shane through the whole conversation blamed me for not conducting proper maintenance and kept threatening to end the conversation as I was expressing to her my total dissatisfaction with this company. This is the third time I had to pay for the belts and the fact that I had to replace the core already is crazy. There is no way the lithium grease was warn off that quickly and seeing how I had these issues from minute one after getting my machine back from LHR after they had the machine to conduct repairs of faulty workmanship and manufacturing. So now I not only paid for the machine but I had to pay $158.00 for shipping the last time in November and pay for new belts then, now I paid $51.00 for a new core and another set of drive belts, this is getting to be too much. What next, what will I have to go through the next time this machine breaks? Can you imagine the cost once this machine runs out of warranty.

Ed,

I cannot explain why the items were replaced, as I did not work on the machine. Lubrication plays a key role in the machine and its functions. Rolled up sandpaper belts can be caused by incorrect head pressure. Incorrect head pressure is commonly caused by a lubrication issue, ie.: lack of lubrication, wrong lubricant used, etc. Also, lubrication plays a key role in how easily the crank handle and head move up and down.

There must have been a good reason for them to have replaced the flex-shaft core. The most common reason for replacement is due to it either being kinked, or one of the ends has been rounded off.

I can understand that you are angry, but venting on the forum will not help the situation, as it is not regularly monitored by us. There are only a couple technicians who get on here to help assist. We do this on our own free will.

She told me I needed to take pictures because she found it hard to believe that it happened, basically calling me a liar.

I do not believe that this was her intention. All machines must first pass a very strict QA procedure. If it does not pass, it does not get sent out. The items you are speaking of could have came loose during shipping. Everyone here knows how terrible shipping can be.

In the end, it all boils down to proper lubrication. In order for the machine to function correctly, it will need to be properly maintained. Picture it as a new car. Sure, it will run like a dream for a little while, but if you don't lubricate it and take care of it, its gonna crap out on you.

Digitalwoodshop
01-07-2009, 01:04 PM
This is why it is so important to learn the machine and be able to do repair work on it. Sending it in for basic repairs is like taking your Catty to the Dealership for an oil change. You are going to pay a premium for this service. Sometimes it is necessary but not always.

I don't change my own oil anymore but I do other minor repairs. Not everyone is able to do repairs on a machine of this magnitude so it is not for everyone.

I saw this thread was closed and is now open again.

AL

Jeff_Birt
01-07-2009, 01:08 PM
I understand frustration...having spent a great deal of my life fixing machines I have had the opportunity of seeing the frustration from both ends. Neither is great...

The important thing to take from this is that like any other machine your CW needs a little TLC every now and then. Take a look at the January 2008 Tips & Tricks for a decent how-to. It only takes a few minutes after a days worth of carving to keep it in tip-top shape.

Take care of your machine and it will take care of you!

Rocky
01-07-2009, 02:41 PM
What belt lubrication are they referring to? I meticulously lubricate the areas I know require lubrication, but I'm not sure what area is in question here.

atauer
01-07-2009, 02:47 PM
What belt lubrication are they referring to? I meticulously lubricate the areas I know require lubrication, but I'm not sure what area is in question here.

guide posts and lead screws for the head.....

AskBud
01-07-2009, 02:48 PM

I think they are talking about lubing the 4 upright posts, so the head lowers smoothly & evenly.
AskBud

Rocky
01-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks. I do lube those. I thought they were referring to something having to do with the belt's movements.....like underneath the belt.

AWoodsmith
01-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Well, I lubed those posts no less than 3 times after I got the machine back from LHR as I had to clean them after each carve. I as usual vacuumed the entire machine half way through the carve and then again when it was completed and I also blew out the machine with the air compressor. I also had to clean and re-lube the screws that move the head up and down. So to blame me and say the issue was caused by me is a bad way to go about things. I know some of you will defend LHR, but to me there is no defense for this. If it was my fault or if I did something wrong then hey I would take it and learn from it, but I have followed the directions in the user manual and suggestions made here on this forum. Shane also said they did not remove the head when it was there in November, then how did they check the machine or re-lube the screws and posts? They also lubed the shaft core, would they not have noticed it being defective at that point. I am sorry but for having only 69 actual carving hours on this machine I should not have these issues. And if belt rollup is caused by lack of lubrication and incorrect head pressure then whey when I conducted the tests that are explained and suggested in the manual did I get a proper sensor reading. And then to tell me that the pieces that FELL off could have come lose during shipping is crazy. How shipping could have loosened the screws on both parts is nuts. Even when I sent the machine back in November I sent it back in the original box that was in great shape and no tears or holes, LHR sent the machine back with corner supports made of cardboard and the box was all torn and nasty. So Alex this is not so much just a vent and I do not expect anyone to do anything about my issue, but I want to express my feelings about the way I have been treated and to make the forum aware of the issues. And I am sorry when a person tells another to take pictures to prove what was stated, that pretty much says hey I do not believe that happened. My RMA form stated what issues I had from the first minute of machine use after I got it back the first time yet I was told to take pictures. Now I am sorry if I offend anyone but I am a strait shooter and honest to a fault, so yes I am angry about my integrity being questioned by Shane and she treated me the same way in November when I was unhappy about having to pay for rolled up belts then after I paid $158.00 to ship the machine there and back. Then for her supervisor tell her that our conversation goes no further than her and I is totally unprofessional and unexceptable.

liquidguitars
01-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Hi Ed,

The sandpaper belts are on your dime as you know now and no amout of talking about it will fix this...
Tip: When I repalce a new belt " not very often" I cut about a 1/4 or so off one side to give more room to track.

LHR has a good rep and the people are smart and kind thinking.

The flexshafts core is rotating @ 20,00 rpm and can fail at any time so not much we can do about this 2..

If you stick with the little beast do not ship it in for repairs. You can master with in a few days most of the day in to day out services,

Be happy that you made a good choice..

LG

Tom75
01-08-2009, 07:14 AM
i have had issuses my self but with pations and asking qustions on the fourm and talking to the techs on the phone all problems have been fixed . i like to fix it my self than send it in it saves me time and money and also gives a better understanding on howe it works . the first time i had to do a repair my self i was nervice but after talking to the techs and the awsom guys and landys here on the fourm they gave me the confidence to be able to do the repairs my self . just stick with it . it can be the worst of times and the best of times but all in all look at the finnished project that comes out . have a good day .

atauer
01-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Shipping is a very violent process. ANYTHING can happen during shipping. I myself have shipped auto parts through various shipping companies, (bumpers and seat bases for example) and have had people call me to say that they arrived damaged. For a bumper to be bent during shipping proves that anything can happen.

Shayne's job is to deal with customers and any issues customers may have. That is why she was hired.

Once again, ALL machines go through a strict QA process. If it does not pass, the machine DOES NOT get shipped until all issues are fixed. This is to ensure that the machine is in perfect working order when it is shipped.

I am closing this thread. This is the end and your issues with our supervisors will not be discussed on the forum any further.