PDA

View Full Version : What are "non-pattern" objects?

Rocky
01-07-2009, 09:08 AM
In Designer I created a design with several lines, curves, letters, etc. I then grouped everything. Then I tried to make my design a pattern and got an error message saying my group had non-pattern objects (also, in the error message one has to click 'OK" many times to get rid of the message - I assume it's doing that for each item). What are they?

Also, I can't see where Designer lets you rotate the entire design after selecting all items; the rotate option is grayed out.

Jeff_Birt
01-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Perhaps it would be easiest to define what a pattern is. A pattern is a self contained piece of 3D clip-art.

Anything else, lines, curves, etc (vectors) are not patterns. A vector just describes the path a bit should follow.

Hope that helps...

mtylerfl
01-07-2009, 11:41 AM
In Designer I created a design with several lines, curves, letters, etc. I then grouped everything. Then I tried to make my design a pattern and got an error message saying my group had non-pattern objects (also, in the error message one has to click 'OK" many times to get rid of the message - I assume it's doing that for each item). What are they?

Also, I can't see where Designer lets you rotate the entire design after selecting all items; the rotate option is grayed out.

Hello Rocky,

Drawn objects that have the lines joined can be made into a Carve Region (even if it's a zero depth carve region), then grouped (or added to an existing group), then you can use the Make Pattern feature. Disconnected lines will not allow you to make a pattern from them, as you discovered.

You cannot "angle rotate" individual manually drawn items (other than single lines), nor entire groups of items (unfortunately). However, if you group items, use the Make Pattern tool, THEN you can rotate that newly created pattern to any angle you wish.

Rocky
01-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks, guys. That helps. I hope the next version of Designer allows rotating groups; it's awkward having to design things where I have to tilt my head sideways. :mrgreen:

MichiganPatriot
01-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Perhaps it would be easiest to define what a pattern is. A pattern is a self contained piece of 3D clip-art.

Anything else, lines, curves, etc (vectors) are not patterns. A vector just describes the path a bit should follow.

Hope that helps...

But is there a way to turn some "lines, curves" etc. into a pattern? I've been looking through the forum and through the tutorials and I'm not finding out how to do this. I'm trying to create some patterns I can use in a few different projects repititiously (sp?), and I'd like to know if it is possible to do this.

AskBud
01-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks, guys. That helps. I hope the next version of Designer allows rotating groups; it's awkward having to design things where I have to tilt my head sideways. :mrgreen:

See if this helps you while designing:
If you want non-rotatable things on the board (or just want to view the project at 90 degrees) this may be your solution.
1) Rotate the board close to what you want (no need to be exact).
Hold the CTRL button your keyboard and use the Right mouse button.
2) Now, go to your Tool Bar and click in the SQUARE Icon. It's usually right beside the FRONT & REAR Icons.

This will allow you to turn/rotate you board rather the getting a pain in your neck.
AskBud

MichiganPatriot
01-09-2009, 10:53 AM
But is there a way to turn some "lines, curves" etc. into a pattern? I've been looking through the forum and through the tutorials and I'm not finding out how to do this. I'm trying to create some patterns I can use in a few different projects repititiously (sp?), and I'd like to know if it is possible to do this.

OK, let me elaborate a little more...

My ultimate goal with this is to find out if I can take something I designed in "Designer" and make it a pattern that I can flip and rotate. I've tried grouping the series of lines and curves, but when I flip it, it comes apart.

Does anyone know how to achieve this?

Amonaug
01-09-2009, 01:06 PM
OK, let me elaborate a little more...

My ultimate goal with this is to find out if I can take something I designed in "Designer" and make it a pattern that I can flip and rotate. I've tried grouping the series of lines and curves, but when I flip it, it comes apart.

Does anyone know how to achieve this?

In order to make it a pattern and be able to rotate it you must have all the lines connected to form 1 closed shape then add a carved region to it (can be a depth of zero) then select "make pattern" and save it to the library. You can't save individual lines, etc as a pattern and currently there's no way to flip/rotate groups as a whole set.

Rocky
01-09-2009, 01:09 PM
See if this helps you while designing:
If you want non-rotatable things on the board (or just want to view the project at 90 degrees) this may be your solution.
1) Rotate the board close to what you want (no need to be exact).
Hold the CTRL button your keyboard and use the Right mouse button.
2) Now, go to your Tool Bar and click in the SQUARE Icon. It's usually right beside the FRONT & REAR Icons.

This will allow you to turn/rotate you board rather the getting a pain in your neck.
AskBud

Thanks, Bud. That works fine.