PDA

View Full Version : Carving in plastic/foam

Rick P
01-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Does anyone have experience carving in KOMATEX or KOMACEL?? Or similar foam type panels.
I'm a little reluctant to carve in solid plastic like polycarbonate or cast acrylic, which have been recommended on the forum. I would like to try some of the foam products.
I need to make some colorful, lightweight signs for our church's childrens area. Some of the signs will hang from a suspended type ceiling and others will mount on the wall. The signs for wall mounting will need to be easily removable so they could be re-mounted in another spot. I will have to paint the signs too.
I had my CW machine for about 4 weeks now and will appreciate all advice.
Rick

HighTechOkie
01-07-2009, 08:36 AM
A few of us have carved in the PVC 1"x trim board material, and that carves ok. Several have also ordered the sample from signfoam.com to play with and it carves great. While I don't know of anyone specifically that has used Sintra, it should carve great also.

Rob

Dan-Woodman
01-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Rick
Some are also useing the rigid insulation board from Lowe's . Don't use syrofoam though.
later Daniel

HelpBot3000
01-07-2009, 05:25 PM
A lot of folks have had good results with high-density foams. Its actually listed in the FAQ on the website under materials where it asks what can be carved. Just like Daniel said though, stay from the Styrofoam.

Rick P
01-07-2009, 11:43 PM
There is a local distributor who sells SignFoam3. I will be trying some soon.