PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a CC have a question.

Briarfox
01-06-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm a briar pipe maker and while hanging out in the shop a out of state friend brought up the CC. I'm wondering if it would be able to shape stems.

I would need to take vulcanite (Rubber) in the shape of a dowel down to a tapered bit. I'm guessing this could be accomplished by mounting the bit on wood rails for the feed and maybe using clay or some tacky material to hold it in place.

Then I would just have to flip it to get both sides done.

Is this to far fetched or would something like this be doable?

Thanks
-Chris

sweliver
01-06-2009, 03:57 PM
are both sides symetrical? If I'm on the same page, it sounds do-able. With the right set up you could even carve the bowl on various planes.

Let me back up a bit. Carving "rubber" probably is a bad idea with the CW. Making the stems out of wood or cast acrylic would be doable. It'd be similar to making pen bodies.

sw

cnsranch
01-06-2009, 04:10 PM
With the Scanning Probe, you can take one of your original creations and scan it into Designer. Assuming that your pipe is the same on both sides (symmetrical) you could scan the one side and perform a two-sided carve. Remember that the machine can only carve to just under 1" deep.

Acrylic carves very well, but would need a lot of work to give it that polished look.

Hmmm, I have a meershaum (sorry, can't spell it) that I got in Germany about a hundred years ago - that would make for a really cool scan...

Briarfox
01-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the reply's. It's getting my hopes up. Vulcanite is a hardened rubber that can take some heat abuse.

So with the proper jigs it should be doable! This could get very fun.

Amonaug
01-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Rubber of any kind is not recommended for this machine.