PDA

View Full Version : OH me O myo - Down but not out

sweliver
01-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Just started a new project. Was anxious to carve some more "pen boxes". Carve bit came unchucked, drilled into the wood and broke. The QC made a bad grinding noise as it spun on the stuck-loose bit. I'm anal about making sure the bits are chucked securlely so the QC must have been worn.

Long story short...new chuck, bits, adapters, tools on their way from CW. Guess I'll get some more designs knocked out.

CW tech support was fast and efficient as usual.

sw

Digitalwoodshop
01-07-2009, 11:00 AM
I have had it happen in the past too... Lots of 3 in one oil with every insert and I turn the bit wrench up side down and use it to try to pull the bit out every time.

AL

sweliver
01-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Finished installing the new QC about an hour ago. Just letting the loctite lock tight before I start "re" carving the last project.

Recommendations:

Read and re-read the care and maintenance pdf's. If I had done so I may have avoided a potential catastrophe...i.e. bit and holder flying around tearing stuff up, loosing an eye, a friend loosing an eye...etc. Plus, my most recent carvings may have been better.

I thought I securely chucked each bit change and kept the bits and QC lubed. Upon examination after the fact I found a little slop even though the bit was "securely" chucked. Then while replacing the QC I noticed IT WAS LOOSE! I double check all the cutting devices in all my other power tools but ignored the CW.

Now that I have the flat wrench and square bit I'll be checking QC tightness frequently. Replacing bit holders will be a priority also. And for the $$$, a new QC every now and then...I noticed a hairline fracture the entire circumference under the QC flange (the "lip" you pull up on with your thumb or the quick change tool pries against when changing bits.

back to carving

sw