PDA

View Full Version : changing cover switch

supershingler
01-05-2009, 08:05 PM
i was wondering if i could change the coverswitch without turning off the machine. im about an hr into a four hour carve and keep getting close cover error. if i put any more tape on it to hold it in place i wont be able to see inside of the machine. maybe i could just jumper it to finish the carve. i have the cover taped shut anyway so i wont go in that way anyway.

all imput greatly appreciated

thanks

kendall

jcorder
01-05-2009, 08:12 PM
This thread has a lot of information on the cover switch. You might want to take a look at it and see if anything there will help you out quickly.

good luck
Jeff

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=9738&highlight=close+cover+switch

DocWheeler
01-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Kendall,

That sounded wrong when I first read it, but upon thinking about it more, jumping the switch sounds like a good idea. Your chances of dropping something into the machine would be fairly high for changing the switch I would think.

supershingler
01-05-2009, 08:36 PM
is the cover switch covered by warranty?

im going to replace it as soon as this carve is over.

safety is my first concern i just dont want to lose a 14" x 28" piece of maple

kendall

Dan-Woodman
01-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Kendall
I was having problems with that also . I discovered that my machine and stand was not level. My shop is in my basement amd CW is probably 5 ft. from a drain in the floor. I put a wedge under one leg and wala , no more switch problems. Just a thought.
later Daniel

Digitalwoodshop
01-05-2009, 09:52 PM
It could be a loose plug where the left switch plug goes in the back. You could reach it from the front and push it in.

The left cover switch screws could be loose. The clear cover screws could be loose.

I had a similar problem when I first got my machine and placed a heavy book on the left side of the cover holding the switch closed due to the weight. Taped it too. Later found a loose screw.... So you could say I had a screw loose..... Literally....

AL

supershingler
01-06-2009, 12:08 AM
one more question

is vibration an issue?

i have my cw setting on a cabinet that i made to fit a dolley that i had.
i have never bolted it down as i have a downdraft dust collection in the cabinet. shoud a guy put some rubber under each corner of the cw to absorb some of the vibration of the machine.

al

i went and tightened all the screws that you suggested but cant try it until tomorrow to see if that was the problem. knowing me the problem is right in front of my face but cant see the obvious.

my cover switches both click when i push them with a screwdriver so i dont think they are bad but the fustration is starting to kick in especially with that hunk of maple half done on a 4 hour carve.

thanks all for your help

kendall

AskBud
01-06-2009, 02:08 AM
Just a thought.

Try placing the unit on a sturdy bench, or the floor, and see if the error goes away.
Your Dolly may shake too much and be causing the error.
AskBud

JOHNB
01-06-2009, 06:03 AM
shut the machine down and get inside to fix what needs to be fixed. start the carve over. you lost an hour?
p.s. al, i think that screws still loose. you might want to check it. LOL

jeff412
01-06-2009, 06:28 AM
one more question

my cover switches both click when i push them with a screwdriver so i dont think they are bad but the fustration is starting to kick in especially with that hunk of maple half done on a 4 hour carve.

thanks all for your help

kendall

Just because the switch clicks doesn't mean it's good. I had the same problem with mine. The switch was bad. I just jumpered it until I could get a new one.

Jeff

cowetaron
01-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Mine cover switch started giving me problems last night. I pulled the mounting screws loose and found that the switch itself just snaps together. I unsnapped the cover of the switch and found a little bit of sawdust on the contacts. Ran my screwdriver across the contacts, snapped the switch back together, remounted the switch back in place and everything started working again. I too had clicked my cover in and out several times and could not get it to work at all. Took about 10 minutes to fix. (I did it with the power off. would not try it in the middle of a carve.)

Dan-Woodman
01-06-2009, 05:09 PM
If you do have to shut it down,just go back into designer and delete everything you have alreay carved and it will take off where you stoped.
very precise machine .
later Daniel