PDA

View Full Version : Can Ipe be carved?

capow8
01-05-2009, 06:39 PM
My school just got a CarveWright machine and I was wondering if Ipe can be carved. Will it break/wear the bit down? Has anyone used Ipe before?
Thanks.

mtylerfl
01-05-2009, 07:21 PM
My school just got a CarveWright machine and I was wondering if Ipe can be carved. Will it break/wear the bit down? Has anyone used Ipe before?
Thanks.

Hello,

I found this website/thread copy regarding one person's opinion working with Ipe Wood:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Working_Safely_with_Ipe.html?printfriendly

capow8
01-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks alot:)

pine acres woodshop
01-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Wow, after reading that I don't know if I would ever use Ipe , just for the fact of the allergens, I personaly have had a reaction from using cocobolo, where you get the poison ivy type rash. I did wear a respirator, and long sleeves when I worked with cocobolo but I still got the rash on my arms, so if you do work with Ipe I would suggest following some of the safety precautions.
Mark

Eagle Hollow
01-06-2009, 06:27 AM
I've used IPE on lots of carving projects and various other projects without suffering any adverse reactions. Red cedar has sent me to the Dr. for allergy shots and cortizone cream. My carver NEVER runs without the 1250 CFM dust collector attached and running and the air scrubber running so maybe that's why I'm okay with it. We installed several thousand board feet of IPE for seating in the amphitheater at Mt. Rushmore National Memorial with no observed reactions from any of the workers. Please don't take this as suggesting precautions aren't necessary when working with any wood. Each of us may react differently. Allergic reactions can kill!! Not a good way to end a session in the shop.

As far as the carving charateristics of IPE, It's my favorite. It carves cleanly, finishes beautifully and is excellent for laminated carvings because of the contrast with light colored woods. It hand carves almost like ivory soap.
Cleaning up with a cabinet scraper finishes it like glass