PDA

View Full Version : Maze Box

jlitz
01-05-2009, 03:45 PM
This is a simple maze box I put together this past weekend. Attached is a preview from Designer along with a couple actual pictures. It was carved using a 1/8" ballnose bit and a 1/4" ballnose for the start/end points.

I wrote a program to randomly generate mazes of any dimension and optimized the vector path layouts to minimize tracking errors during carving. The machine (especially with 1.131 firmware) unfortunately uses multiple different feed rates when positioning vs. carving and can cause slight tracking errors when carving hundreds of vector paths requiring precise alignment.

I still need to find a better solution for the frame, not happy with the current results. Plus, I'm looking at making the next maze double sided requiring a more elaborate frame to hold all the pieces together.

Kenm810
01-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Neat! I like it, I made a couple last year for the Grand Kids.
Keeps em quit for a few minutes while I read the instructions of how to put their latest toys together.
Tab "B" into Hole "D" ---no- no Slot "E"-- wait --what happened to Tab "A" http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

Nice Project, Well Done

Hexe SA
01-05-2009, 04:12 PM
This is a simple maze box I put together this past weekend. Attached is a preview from Designer along with a couple actual pictures. It was carved using a 1/8" ballnose bit and a 1/4" ballnose for the start/end points.

I wrote a program to randomly generate mazes of any dimension and optimized the vector path layouts to minimize tracking errors during carving. The machine (especially with 1.131 firmware) unfortunately uses multiple different feed rates when positioning vs. carving and can cause slight tracking errors when carving hundreds of vector paths requiring precise alignment.

I still need to find a better solution for the frame, not happy with the current results. Plus, I'm looking at making the next maze double sided requiring a more elaborate frame to hold all the pieces together.

Pretty good to me. I like it alot.
Eva

Eagle Hollow
01-05-2009, 05:56 PM
I really like several mazes that have been posted. I am intriged...gonna try to wrap my head around it so I can design one and carve one.

By the way, Ken, have you posted a picture of your concrete masterpiece after you got it set in its permanent home? I'm also waiting for the lichens to grow!

Kenm810
01-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Not yet Jerry,
It was to late in the fall to get it started,
I'll have to wait till April for the lichens to grow.
To much of that white stuff out there right now.

mtylerfl
01-05-2009, 07:53 PM

That is really nice! I'm trying to figure out why you're not happy with the frame - sure looks alright to me!

I had a thought when you mentioned the tracking issue you are observing. I'll bet LHR/CarveWright would be interested in that information. Perhaps you could also provide them an mpc they could try in their workshop to see if they observe the same issue. If so, that could possibly be helpful in making improvements.

JLT
01-05-2009, 08:26 PM
I wrote a program to randomly generate mazes of any dimension and optimized the vector path layouts to minimize tracking errors during carving.

jlitz,

Nice, clean looking maze!

Out of curiousity, how did you go from custom program to vector paths? Ie, did you simply generate a raster file with maze lines, and then use the outline / cut path features of Designer?

R, Jon

DocWheeler
01-05-2009, 08:33 PM
jlitz,

I'm with the others, nice project and the frame looks good to me!

jlitz
01-05-2009, 09:11 PM
That is really nice! I'm trying to figure out why you're not happy with the frame - sure looks alright to me!

It's alright, just not perfect. :-)

I had a thought when you mentioned the tracking issue you are observing. I'll bet LHR/CarveWright would be interested in that information. Perhaps you could also provide them an mpc they could try in their workshop to see if they observe the same issue. If so, that could possibly be helpful in making improvements.

I'll likely do that. I'm currently waiting for a response on another issue I ran into where certain paths would be cut with the wrong bit.

liquidguitars
01-06-2009, 12:46 AM
Nice job

Just make sure vectors do not occupy the same space.. As a time warp could damage your craft. ;)

Lg

jlitz
01-06-2009, 10:17 AM
Nice job

Just make sure vectors do not occupy the same space.. As a time warp could damage your craft. ;)

Lg

Haha, not too far off.

This is one of the issues I ran into where the layout in Designer and the actual carving didn't agree. The first picture is the preview in Designer; the second is the actual carve (on a scrape piece of wood). In all cases the straight sections are suppose to be carved with a 1/8" bit and the various end points with a 1/4" bit. As you can see two straight sections were cut with the 1/4" bit and one end point with the 1/8" bit.

atauer
01-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Neat! I like it, I made a couple last year for the Grand Kids.
Keeps em quit for a few minutes while I read the instructions of how to put their latest toys together.
Tab "B" into Hole "D" ---no- no Slot "E"-- wait --what happened to Tab "A" http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

Nice Project, Well Done

Ken,

Then you wind up with a coffee can full of "extras" that the manufacturer supplied just in case. I had a bicycle a few years ago like that. Been too afraid to ride it, having all of them extra nuts and bolts laying around.

:) :lmao:

AskBud
01-06-2009, 10:43 AM
It may be easier to just use the 1/8 bit.
Try "Drilling" the holes, rather than a carve.

Here is a game with the 1/8 bit, for the holes.
I used the standard carving bit for my lines, but you could use the 1/8 bit on your project.
My edge is done with the 90 Degree bit.
AskBud

jlitz
01-06-2009, 11:12 AM
It may be easier to just use the 1/8 bit.
Try "Drilling" the holes, rather than a carve.

That's a possibility, but I wanted the round effect from the 1/4" ballnose. I could also specify a '1/8" Drill' and insert the ballnose when the machine asks for the 1/8" cutting bit. Instead, I opted to make two project files - one with the 1/8" paths, the other for the 1/4" ballnose.

cmorlier
01-07-2009, 10:10 AM
jlitz,
We looked into your problem, and indeed there is a bug in the software. The problem appears to be that you have placed the point carvings exactly on top of the endpoints of the line segments. The optimizer apparently decides (incorrectly) to combine the paths.

One work around is to offset the points and endpoints by 0.025". This appears to avoid the optimization bug.

We will fix the optimizer in a future release. We are nearing release for 1.132; so unfortunately the fix won't be until a later release.

jlitz
01-07-2009, 10:21 AM
jlitz,
We looked into your problem, and indeed there is a bug in the software. The problem appears to be that you have placed the point carvings exactly on top of the endpoints of the line segments. The optimizer apparently decides (incorrectly) to combine the paths.

One work around is to offset the points and endpoints by 0.025". This appears to avoid the optimization bug.

We will fix the optimizer in a future release. We are nearing release for 1.132; so unfortunately the fix won't be until a later release.

Thank you for looking at and resolving the issue in a future release.