PDA

View Full Version : x axis problem

BlueRocco
01-05-2009, 01:23 PM
I am having a problem with the x axis reliability. If I do the same cut twice across the x axis I get two cuts, not one on top of the other. I have also had the board just keep on going out the back when measuring, although I'm not sure the two problems are connected, it seems likely. I checked the pressure with a scale, I'm getting 80# of pressure if I just touch the top when cranking 65-70# if not. I checked the brass roller inside and the numbers change on my lcd when I do the check values. Is the something I'm missing? Has any one else had this type of a problem? I called Carvewright and they told me to check all these things that I've listed, but now no one will write back, could be the holidays, but I still want to get this to work right. Can anyone offer any advice?

mtylerfl
01-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Hello,

This may seem like a dumb question...is your board at least 1/2" thick? If not, the machine will "spit it out".

Mike Witt
01-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Board too thin, 1/2" minimum - Board square along the sides - Board flat not cupped or twisted....Believe me it doesn't take much also be certain you gave the machine the correct measurements of your project board. remember the extra 7'' one more thing do not put the sliding board rail " Tight " against your project board just enough too hold the board in place.

Mike

BlueRocco
01-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Board too thin, 1/2" minimum - Board square along the sides - Board flat not cupped or twisted....Believe me it doesn't take much also be certain you gave the machine the correct measurements of your project board. remember the extra 7'' one more thing do not put the sliding board rail " Tight " against your project board just enough too hold the board in place.

Mike

Yes, 3/4" board, planned on a planner and squared on the table saw. I did do one too tight at first, not squared slightly tapered. It stopped in the machine. I turned it off and fixed the board by ripping it. Could this have screwed up the carvewright? it was the second time I used it, so I don't know if It messed anything up or if the machine is like that already.

atauer
01-05-2009, 01:46 PM
It may be caused by a stuck compression roller. Have you checked them?

BlueRocco
01-05-2009, 02:14 PM
It may be caused by a stuck compression roller. Have you checked them?

They turn O.K. Is there an up and down movement to them that might be affected? If so, how do I fix/check that?

atauer
01-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Turn on the machine and raise the head. Press 0,7 on the keypad and then scroll to where you see the compression rollers. Press each one individually and see if the status on the LCD changes.

BlueRocco
01-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks, I'll do that and get back to you.

Micheal

BlueRocco
01-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Well, I did that .... it changes, so I guess the rollers aren't stuck. ????

Ron Baird
01-05-2009, 06:20 PM
The board going out the back is usually caused by the front roller not droping down when it drops off the end of the board . This turns on the board sensor to look for the end of the board. If the roller hangs up or the switch on the end of the roller does not turn on the board keeps feeding out the back. Dust build up around the switch can cause this.
The cut length problem is probably because your head pressure is too low. 80 to 85 lbs. is what you need. Clean and lub the four head posts and two screws. If you still don't have enough head pressure you may have to remove the crank and strech the spring a bit.

BlueRocco
01-05-2009, 10:59 PM
The board going out the back is usually caused by the front roller not dropping down when it drops off the end of the board . This turns on the board sensor to look for the end of the board. If the roller hangs up or the switch on the end of the roller does not turn on the board keeps feeding out the back. Dust build up around the switch can cause this.
The cut length problem is probably because your head pressure is too low. 80 to 85 lbs. is what you need. Clean and lube the four head posts and two screws. If you still don't have enough head pressure you may have to remove the crank and stretch the spring a bit.

I do believe that is the answer! I just came back from lubing the four head posts and screws, realigning the posts and checking the rollers out. I also rechecked my head pressure while I was doing that and found a real variance in pressure if I bring the head up and down a few times. Any thing from 40 -80 Lbs. Nothing consistent, sometimes more if I crank slow. Are you talking about the spring under the crank handle? I did add a few washers to get to the 80# mark. If I stretch the spring will I get a more consistent higher pressure? Oh, I think I fixed the switch problem too, There was a bit of build up behind the rubber washers, didn't think to look there when cleaning. A bit persnickety what? Right now though I'm concentrating on the variance in head pressure. I think if I can get that licked I can get some cool projects done.